(ORBO) Heavy Duti Rocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I've got a scissors jack from an old compact car has a nice wide base I'll post how it goes!

Wow took the back wheel off and I cant believe the axle quick release skewer. How do they hold up, that thing is tiny.

any tricks to mount the derailleur? My dropouts on the frame are horizontal on the Heavy Duti and vertical on the Rocket... :(

So, my equestrian agriculturist, are we to assume you have already widened the rear end to fit the geared freewheel hub off the Schwinn? Curious how it came out. On another note, I have yet to try to add a rear der to a horizontal dropout bike (or vertical dropout with no der mount) so I don't have any experience with that process. There are rear ders that hang from the axle of the rear wheel, but that would be a solid axle and not the quick release type you have handy. Is there room to tap a threaded hole into the dropout? The diameter of the der bolt is quite large, so you need a bit of real estate to accomplish that feat.

any tricks to mount the derailleur? My dropouts on the frame are horizontal on the Heavy Duti and vertical on the Rocket... :(
I wonder if you could find a way to retro fit these sliders to your frame, maybe you could use the current horizontal dropouts for the sliding area with some thoughtful application of bolts and washers?

Right side: http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin2/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DR4006

Left side: http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin2/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=DR4013

Luke.

If you can weld..... Use a 10x1 metric nut and weld it to your frame under the dropout. Then your derailer can screw into it.....

Here's what i'd try:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...er-plate-with-nut-and-bolt-shimano-compatible
41tK2YgCjEL._SY355_.jpg

And, while you're at it, swap in a chromo solid rear axle; i'd bet your wheel takes a 10x1, but measure first to confirm.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wheels-manufacturing-axle-20-10x1x187mm-solid
Add some nice axle bolts with the captured washers, and you're set.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categor...axle-nut-with-rotating-washer-sold-in-singles

Well, there's the cable-routing aspect, too.... but that's super-easy. For some stuff, you'll just want bolt-on guides; for others, you may want stops....

HTH,
Rob

For spreading the stats, I just use a handful of nuts, washers and a chunk of all-thread.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Guys, thank you for the info and links. It is apparent to me now there are options. skewer or solid axle to mount wheel and adapters or hanger or welded nut to mount derailleur to the frame. I think the next step is to try my front suspension fork to the frame as this will me my source of front brakes. I'm gonna examine the rear derailleur again to get comfortable with how this fits together o the rocket 3 donor bike...
Of course in searching for a exploded diagram to help me understand whats going on - some wag posted this.
bike-exploded-diagram_0.jpg

Apparently the critical parts are the hyperactive core and the gay Japanese candy.

Guys, thank you for the info and links. It is apparent to me now there are options. skewer or solid axle to mount wheel and adapters or hanger or welded nut to mount derailleur to the frame. I think the next step is to try my front suspension fork to the frame as this will me my source of front brakes. I'm gonna examine the rear derailleur again to get comfortable with how this fits together o the rocket 3 donor bike...
Of course in searching for a exploded diagram to help me understand whats going on - some wag posted this.
bike-exploded-diagram_0.jpg

Apparently the critical parts are the hyperactive core and the gay Japanese candy.
That's hilarious! I've never seen that before....

Funny diagram.

OMG I know the exploded diagram in funny now but at 10pm last night after a google search for info I saw "burrs" , "hyperdrive core" and honestly the donor mountain bike is very advanced tech vs all the other stuff I have (60 yr old bikes and mallwart china bikes) that I kinda bought it - till i saw the rear derailleur was called "hangy jawn". :giggle:
Lotsa concepts to absorb apparently the skewer just "clamps" the hub into the dropouts, not support the weight of bike and rider. Kinda worried as skiewer retaining nut is plastic and I'm thinking the steel Heavy Duti frame and drop out structure much stiffer than aluminum swing arm on Rocket 3 donor.:nerd:
Also how to hang that derailleur? bought new shifter and cable for it and the little I rode the donor bike the Alivio shifted flawless. and there is brakes especially if there are problems with the fork swap.
Was given an old school red band Bendix, man I like simple tho.:speechless:
Maybe that skewer issue is why Bicycle 808 is recommending the hanger and axle swap. I also have other derailleur junk around maybe find an axle there ? Stay tuned.....:crazy:

P.S. found the bracket on Amazon - Many success stories ! yay ! also couple kinda poor user pics but gives an idea of how it looks in situ...
RD hanger 1.jpg
RD hanger 2.jpg

Last edited:
Found a scrap freewheel with reg straight axle - also looks to me that the donor Rocket freewheel that requires the wider dropout has a fat rubber seal and spacers opposite the chain cassette. I'm thinking if I can swap axles and leave the spacers off. Never swapped or lubed a freewheel hub - looks like I have to pull the cassette to swap axles. Is that correct? examining the frame on the rocket I see the derailleur hanger bracket is removable, maybe I can reuse it on the heavy Duti frame.

Latest posts

Back