(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Be cool if it turned out they took over production down there and used lighter materials. My CP frame looks vary similar but (prior being introduced to Mr. Sawsall for a Matthews mono-shock conversion someday) comes in at 7.5 pounds, but someone destroyed most of the serial sadly. I know they rebadged them as Norco's at the very least her in Cali, and at lest one other I can't remember at the moment, but the rear triangle looks pretty close with those tapering stays. The welds on the HT were what caught my eye.

IMG_20151101_103300.jpg

IMG_20151101_103330.jpg

IMG_20151101_103340.jpg

:) Be cool if it turned out they took over production down there and used lighter materials. My CP frame looks vary similar but (prior being introduced to Mr. Sawsall for a Matthews mono-shock conversion someday) comes in at 7.5 pounds, but someone destroyed most of the serial sadly. I know they rebadged them as Norco's at the very least her in Cali, and at lest one other I can't remember at the moment, but the rear triangle looks pretty close with those tapering stays. The welds on the HT were what caught my eye.

IMG_20151101_103300.jpg

IMG_20151101_103330.jpg

IMG_20151101_103340.jpg
Sure looks the same!

Luke.

when does the wiinter build off begin? i would like to give it a shot this year. is there a thread yet?

when does the wiinter build off begin? i would like to give it a shot this year. is there a thread yet?
The Winter Build-Off as such is running as this Klunker/BMX/MTB/Offroad build-off this year, it will start Jan 1st 2016.

Luke.

I'm all-in for the build-off, but i don't have my "ish" together for a scratch-built frame yet... I got some parts in the pocket, but i'm holding off on the actual build until the New Year...

I am finding myself dragged further and further in to this build off in the downtime waiting for the metalflake for "Pedro" to arrive.
Been researching what tires I want, where I can get them and what is a good price for them, drawing up sketches of modifications I would like to do, looking at online spoke calculators...

I'm going crazy here...

Luke.

Edit: Dropped in to my new favourite bike sales website and they had a free shipping deal on, they also sent me a $10 off your first order voucher last night, plus a sale on the tires I really wanted...
So...
Now I have tires, tubes, rimstrips and chains coming for both builds I am planning, the MasterSports/CyclePro and the modified heavy duty Shogun... :confused: That is the bike budget blown for a while... :21:

Last edited:
would a coaster brake cyclocross bike count as an off road bike for this build off?

would anyone dare race cyclocross with a coaster brake? I'm dumb enough to try.

would a coaster brake cyclocross bike count as an off road bike for this build off?

would anyone dare race cyclocross with a coaster brake? I'm dumb enough to try.
We are pretty open, provided you can ride it offroad...

Luke.

I'm in.

I was flip flopping on which of the 2 builds I wanted to do first. The clincher was that I can actually run this as an entry bmx museum's spring Dyno buildoff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just wanted to float this idea out there to test reactions.

I accidentally left out the "All welding must be done by the builder" rule for the current MuscleBike build-off, and I am actually cool with that, as it seems to even up the field a little for those without the skills or equipment as they can get welding done for them...

How would people feel if that rule was also left out for this build-off as a test?

Let me know...

Luke.

Was going to do pre-war Schwinn (lady's) chianstays grafted to a modern cromo front triangle- euro BB, theadless head tube, the works, but the 'do your own welding' thing DQ'd me from the get go.
Was gunna make a suspension corrected Model C or Roadster out of this tubing for a 1x11, and will eventually, but rulz is rulz :)

http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/COLUMBUS-LIFE-28.6-X-7-4-6-X-635.html
Check the post above!

I can see the prewar chainstays, cro-mo hybrid working with that rule change, not sure about the full scratch build Model C built by someone else, but if you did all the cutting and notching and just had someone else weld it, people may be ok with it?

Let me know people!
I just want to see some cool bikes!

Luke.

Well, you know where my vote lies, but I have a definite conflict of interest so I'll recuse myself. Frankly I don't see the difference between buying a 70 year-old frame, buying a brand new frame from china with a built in gas tank or cup holder, or me cutting and bending some tubes for a new front triangle to have someone else join- in all three cases someone else welded it, except option three I have a lot more involvement than clicking BIN on ePay.

Not to be snotty (it's late, I'm tired :)) but are the custom frames from True Torch ineligible because I didn't weld them? How about the new Bassett frames? Rex or Paul's CBR clones? All of the above verboten because they are new and (usually) arrive painted and/or plated? Personally I don't see what I was planning (designing/jigging up a frame and farming out 8 welds for safety) as any different than having a bike professionally powder coated or buying one of those stunning fiberglass girls-to-boys Spaceliner tanks, but like I say, my opinion is tainted :)

Either way, I'm back to plan A, even if I end up with a heavier brazed frame I have to do myself than one I feel safer abusing because someone competent welded it, but yeah, the whole point was always original chainstays since all the copies went with looptails for convenience, with new tubes from the seatmast forward for modern geo and a bit of weight savings.

Well, you know where my vote lies, but I have a definite conflict of interest so I'll recuse myself. Frankly I don't see the difference between buying a 70 year-old frame, buying a brand new frame from china with a built in gas tank or cup holder, or me cutting and bending some tubes for a new front triangle to have someone else join- in all three cases someone else welded it, except option three I have a lot more involvement than clicking BIN on ePay.

Not to be snotty (it's late, I'm tired :)) but are the custom frames from True Torch ineligible because I didn't weld them? How about the new Bassett frames? Rex or Paul's CBR clones? All of the above verboten because they are new and (usually) arrive painted and/or plated? Personally I don't see what I was planning (designing/jigging up a frame and farming out 8 welds for safety) as any different than having a bike professionally powder coated or buying one of those stunning fiberglass girls-to-boys Spaceliner tanks, but like I say, my opinion is tainted :)

Either way, I'm back to plan A, even if I end up with a heavier brazed frame I have to do myself than one I feel safer abusing because someone competent welded it, but yeah, the whole point was always original chainstays since all the copies went with looptails for convenience, with new tubes from the seatmast forward for modern geo and a bit of weight savings.
Valid points and I am happy to take that as a vote for the rule to be dropped from this build-off.

Luke.

This build-off will benefit from as many participants as possible, so i think that rules which may exclude any of us needlessly are probably ill-advised. I MIGHT be able to scratch-build my own frame for this one, but that might be unrealistic. I might just end up tossing together some retired industrial bike, which is my usual move.... in my case, at least, i don't think that my entry would benefit from being scratch-built by yours-truly; i expect my joints wouldn't compare well even to the worst entry-level Chinese bike....

I think Matthew makes an excellent point re: the way we view how/where the frame is welded. I can totally see how folks might sway their vote based on home-built versus Chinese-built versus vintage-built versus a one-off where the RRB'r pays a pro to get the job done for him.... but i don't see why the build-off rules should address it, and thereby favor one option over another.

Oh, and since @chattymatty brought it up, have y'all SEEN the new Bassett Star Cruiser frames?!?! DANG!

This build-off will benefit from as many participants as possible, so i think that rules which may exclude any of us needlessly are probably ill-advised.

I think Matthew makes an excellent point re: the way we view how/where the frame is welded. I can totally see how folks might sway their vote based on home-built versus Chinese-built versus vintage-built versus a one-off where the RRB'r pays a pro to get the job done for him.... but i don't see why the build-off rules should address it, and thereby favor one option over another.
Once again, good points.
I think we just drop the rule!
Oh, and since @chattymatty brought it up, have y'all SEEN the new Bassett Star Cruiser frames?!?! DANG!
22687569874_822ec697cf.jpg

WOW!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back