(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More parts arrived today!

22809051823_c2f207ceb9_z.jpg

Means I can do this:

23353660331_88db6a6bda_z.jpg

Which means I can have super solid 14mm axle BMX hubs with 203mm discs!

23068233559_23c6702fc2_z.jpg

Bring on January already!

Luke.

Nice set-up. I haven't used that kind of adaptor yet, but I think it'd work perfectly so long as you mount the brakes on the left side, which is the standard way of doing it anyway. But 14mm axles are pretty bomb-proof, and 203mm rotors offer a lot of ooomph for your braking efforts. You going hydro or mech?

Nice set-up. I haven't used that kind of adaptor yet, but I think it'd work perfectly so long as you mount the brakes on the left side, which is the standard way of doing it anyway. But 14mm axles are pretty bomb-proof, and 203mm rotors offer a lot of ooomph for your braking efforts. You going hydro or mech?
Not sure yet, I was wanting Hydraulic, but doing research I have read and heard some stories about increased maintenance, seal issues, bleeding issues etc... Thinking I might be better off with just a good set of mechanical ones instead.
With the amount of bikes I have now, it needs to be able to sit for up to a year before it's turn comes around to be ridden, I don't want to do more than check tire pressure before a ride, if it needs re-bleeding the brakes, I simply will grab the next bike in line and ride it instead...

Luke.

Yeah, i love how hydros feel, but Avid BB7s are awesome brakes that can be adjusted with a few simple tools in a few minutes so....i tend to go with those most of the time.

Thinking maybe we could have a mini build off inside the main build off... What I mean is anyone else thinking of themes? I'm seriously thinking of doing a zombie themed klunker, kind of a back from the dead idea. But if someone has another interesting theme, I could go that way too. At this point it's all paint and details... Anybody else?

Carl.

Last edited:
Thinking maybe we could have a mini build off inside the main build off... What I mean is anyone else thinking of themes? I'm seriously thinking of doing a zombie themed klunker, kind of a back from the dead idea. But if someone has another interesting theme, I could go that way too. At this point it's all paint and details... Anybody else?

Carl.
Funny you say that, I was thinking of a zombie green paint scheme.

My handlebars arrived today! Have almost all the parts to throw it together, January needs to hurry up and get here!!!! Once this officially starts I'm not sure I'll need till April, I could have it done in a couple weeks cause I'm so excited!

Oxy-acetelyne tanks in the hizzy, lathe gets bolted down and moved into the "done" column this weekend, Nova Cycle Supply got some more of my money this morning for the last of my tubing and some different drops to try out... all that's left in the "prep" column is to build the fixture and start brazing :)
Oh, yeah, and decide on and purchace an entire bicycle's worth of parts to bolt on ;)

Oxy-acetelyne tanks in the hizzy, lathe gets bolted down and moved into the "done" column this weekend, Nova Cycle Supply got some more of my money this morning for the last of my tubing and some different drops to try out... all that's left in the "prep" column is to build the fixture and start brazing :)
Oh, yeah, and decide on and purchace an entire bicycle's worth of parts to bolt on ;)

Dang, that sounds awesome. What did you get from Nova?

Some butted 1 1/8" x .8/.6/.7mm top tubes (gunna run a 1 1/8" x 1.2mm strait thickness DT), a braze on seat clamp jobby and laser cut disk/derailleur drops I'm thinking if using instead of the adjustable ones. Was thinking of building a 650b/29er convertible with those adjustable drops, but I think instead I'll just go dedicated 650b and just attach the new drop inside the original drops as a reinforcement/disk mount. Should be more or less invisible.

Still have to wire up a 220v plug for the powder coating oven :/

Kinda like a Nevegal, but beefier knobs....
Having the two Nevegal's here waiting for my build, I wouldn't have believed that was possible!
I wish tire prices were that cheap over here...

Luke.

Having the two Nevegal's here waiting for my build, I wouldn't have believed that was possible!
I wish tire prices were that cheap over here...

Luke.

Ever seen a Kenda Telonix?
p4pb7135700.jpg

Monster knobs on those....

I have some of the Nevegal 2.7" tires (as far as I can tell, they're discontinued, but I got one set of new, zero-mile 2.7" rubber :grin:) and those are some beefy tires, but the CST BFTs in 2.4" are just crazy heavy in every way (yes, even the bad way) and the knobs themselves are fewer but larger, as compared to the Nevegals. I think the Nevegals are probably a superior product compared to the BFTs, but $ for $, they're about equal (and let's be honest: Kenda offers the Nevegals in so many flavors-- different sizes, different widths, different compounds, folding vs wire bead, etc) that the prices and relative value are kind of all over the place....

But the BFT has a cooler name, by far. It's kind of fun to speculate what the "F" stands for. :crazy: I told my mom it stands for B.ig-F.at-T.ire, so as to preserve her innocence.

Latest posts

Back