(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
39/40?? rollfast?

Klunkin''''

Building... riding...
Yeah something like that ... looking for some more info on these frames, like serial number info for dating ... just picked it up Sunday. Looks like it needs some reinforcement gussets at the top of the seat stays, maybe a bit around the BB and definitely at a spot where the crank rubbed thru... But I'm also looking at a brazing rig. When I finally give my detailing and design plans up for this one, you guys are gonna freak. Hung it in the rafters today to wait for the WBO Klunkoff.

Carl.

I got lucky in the I D section on this site. Someone identified it as a hp snyder, and another id d it as a 40 from the serial. As close as I could get for mine.

Building... riding...

Yeah something like that ... looking for some more info on these frames, like serial number info for dating ... just picked it up Sunday. Looks like it needs some reinforcement gussets at the top of the seat stays, maybe a bit around the BB and definitely at a spot where the crank rubbed thru... But I'm also looking at a brazing rig. When I finally give my detailing and design plans up for this one, you guys are gonna freak. Hung it in the rafters today to wait for the WBO Klunkoff.

Carl.
Klunkoff? Love it!

Luke.

I was thinking a West Coast Chopper Flip for the Klunker. I can put a Faaaat 20" knobby on back, shave off the old seat past and put a 26 up front. Huge clearance if I do it right.

Think I'll call it The Rock Crusher...

Building... riding...

I have an idea I want to bounce off you. I am small and could not master the 29er craze.
Here is an idea for you. Smaller Prewar steel frame,(tanked) with dropout inserts. 1" steer tube suspension fork. Superlight 26" or 27.5" wheel-set with fat, light knobbies. One-by-9spd drivetrain using an old, 3-piece crank. Disc brakes maybe?

Starting out well in advance here, but thinking about proposing an Adult sized BMX/MTB/Bomber/Klunker build-off for the January to April time slot 2016.

I know many builders on here have plans or ideas on a build in that genre, so I think many will join and make for a good Build-Off.

What do you guys and girls think?

BMX suitable for an adult to ride, can be set up for park/race/dirt/tricks whatever...
Klunker/Bomber/Hybrid/MTB... (anywhere from period correct early single speed coaster brake Bomber/Klunker to current carbon frame, hydraulic disc, full suspension Mountain bike)

This is not a build-off for your everyday cruiser, or your ride to the shops bikes... This is for bikes that are meant to be ridden hard and fast, jumped, skidded and abused!

Luke.
Think I should enter luke? I do have that Master Sports 26 you spotted in my back shed the other day :)

I did say earlier that I would only be doing one build-off per year these days: The Muscle Bike Build-Off, but the parts and pieces are all falling into place for something along these lines...

Been wanting to build a heavy-duty off-road single speed for a while, something a bit different than what is usually seen...

Wish list:

Light weight but strong frame and forks.
203mm (8") disc brakes front and rear, possibly hydraulic.
Single speed freewheel.
14mm axle hubs with sealed bearings.
Double wall 48 spoke 26" rims.
One piece cranks with a small BMX chainring.
Early Klunker style handlebars.
Fairly narrow knobbies, maybe 26x1.75 or 1.95...

The biggest issue with all that is the 48 spoke disc brake ready 14mm axle hubs...
You can buy a rear hub from Yuba, but it is meant for a 7 speed megarange freewheel, not single speed, and they don't sell to Australia, and even if I could get it, it would be well over $100 landed... :confused:

Then I got to thinking about flip/flop BMX hubs with a spin on disc mount, did some searching and found some good hubs I could get at reasonable prices and some very high end hubs that are out of my price range: for instance the awesome Odyssey Hazard hub, 4 sealed bearings, 14mm axle and standard freewheel thread one side (for the disc mount) and the smaller "metric bmx" thread on the other for 13 tooth freewheels, which would mean I could run a 26-30 tooth chainring rather than something huge... But too expensive...

22580449846_ec56ccc276_n.jpg

Hmmm, :39: that hub looks familiar... Run outside with a torch to my bike pile and start digging for gold... Pull out an old rim that got thrown in with a $5 bike deal from the dump shop, a triple wall Alex rim, but all the chrome is peeling and the aluminium is corroding badly, beyond saving, but laced to that rim is an Odyssey Hazard hub! :cool2:

For the front I can just use any normal 48 spoke rear 14mm axle hub with a spin on mount, I have plenty of them, it will just be a matter of selecting the best one, pretty sure I have some nice Redline ones out there... :nerd:

Now I would need some nice double wall 48 spoke, preferably eyeletted rims...
That is a bit harder. Again I could buy from Yuba, but the same issues apply, I know some tandems run 48 spoke rims, but they are not popular in Australia...

Last resort, try eBay...

No 48 spoke 26" rims anywhere, no undrilled 26" rims anywhere either...
There is one listing for double wall, eyeletted, 40 spoke rims, that seems odd, pretty rare to find a 40 spoke set up, might have a look...

Last line of the ad, in small writing says: "I also have 48H rims, same manufacturer, please enquire." :eek:

Wrote them a message, should have a reply soon!

Next item: Klunker bars... Hmmm, I did find a BMX not long back that I seem to remember had some cool bars... Run back outside with a torch...

21983547374_c68a1acd18.jpg

Not bad!

Well that is all the hard stuff done, pretty sure there would be a few frames out there that could be modified to give me what I want, I have some 203mm Avid discs here, and some mechanical callipers, would have to buy a hydraulic pair if I went that way, need to buy some tires, may or may not have spokes here...

Should be a pretty cheap project and a cool bike at the end... Now I just have to decide if I will do it for the build-off or just as a standard build...

Luke.

Build off Luke....start date really isn't that far away. Be here before you know it.
Well something else fell in to my lap today...

Remember these posts:
Think I should enter luke? I do have that Master Sports 26 you spotted in my back shed the other day :)
Either that or sell it to me! ;)

Luke.
Well Kel gave me the MasterSports in trade for some work on his bike!

22442692900_7b3ab87ee5_z.jpg

A switch to aluminium wheels and a coaster brake, a quick clean up and that is a perfect build! Really looking forward to it!
I may still build the other one too, will just depend on weather through summer...

Luke.

Now I would need some nice double wall 48 spoke, preferably eyeletted rims...
That is a bit harder. Again I could buy from Yuba, but the same issues apply, I know some tandems run 48 spoke rims, but they are not popular in Australia...

Last resort, try eBay...

No 48 spoke 26" rims anywhere, no undrilled 26" rims anywhere either...
There is one listing for double wall, eyeletted, 40 spoke rims, that seems odd, pretty rare to find a 40 spoke set up, might have a look...

Last line of the ad, in small writing says: "I also have 48H rims, same manufacturer, please enquire." :eek:

Wrote them a message, should have a reply soon!
I got a message back on those 48 hole 26" rims... I have 2 coming to my door for the total price of $62 including shipping! :cool2:

Unbelievable! :rockout:

Luke.

That MasterSports is interesting... looks like it's a Cycle Pro rebadge? Heavy as sin, but everyone swears by the geo of those frames. Nice pick up :)

That MasterSports is interesting... looks like it's a Cycle Pro rebadge? Heavy as sin, but everyone swears by the geo of those frames. Nice pick up :)
Australian built I believe, and surprisingly light... Really looking forward to taking it for a spin!

Luke.

Sweet. I'd take a close gander at those forks. They at least appear to be CP, and if they're the cromo variety, a dollars item :) They made two versions that look really similar, the hi-ten ones like in my avatar (has a small hole near the axle hole as if for a safety tab thingy) the others with look like this one:

bf5c4df2-5eb0-4a8d-ba0e-f122d3dfb4d0.jpg

Sweet. I'd take a close gander at those forks. They at least appear to be CP, and if they're the cromo variety, a dollars item :) They made two versions that look really similar, the hi-ten ones like in my avatar (has a small hole near the axle hole as if for a safety tab thingy) the others with look like this one:

bf5c4df2-5eb0-4a8d-ba0e-f122d3dfb4d0.jpg
Looks like you might be right, they look extremely similar to your forks:

IMG_20150717_200104.jpg

Hi Ten version by the looks of it:

22038572134_a7e96432aa_z.jpg

Luke.

Latest posts

Back