Oranjeboom Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rusty dog leg crank looks better with orange over the tarnish and corrosion. Bear trap pedals. Crank threads checked out as OK.
IMG_1579.JPG

Wheels and tires mounted up.
IMG_1580.JPG

YOur'e GonNa have to put some ORanGe sticKeRs on that CraTe and pose it with the BiKe~!

I put on the Schwinn bolt on cantilever brakes. I didn't have the Schwinn brake lever so I had to file, grind, pound drill and pry to to get the original cable to fit. Rotted out grips glued to the bars.
IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

Crank, pedals and chainwheel are mounted. Next will be the chain, chain tugs, head badge and seat. Then test beat.
IMG_1588.JPG

My chain pushes don't fit. I have several sets of 1/4 but I need 12 - 24. I probably have some somewhere but since our move I haven't organized everything yet. I need to change the seat as the one on it now is uncomfortable for anything over 5 miles. After I get chain pushes I will connect the coaster brake arm, remove the seat and put on a different saddle.
IMG_1590.JPG

Last edited:
I did a 6 mile shake down cruse today on Orangeaboom. Cheese and crackers, my cool dog leg carank is bent. I'll have to replace it with a standard one from my junk. Dang, Look at the pedal clearance, their ain't none. My foot barley fits umber the pedal, I'll have to be careful on my single tack race.

Last edited:
I replaced the crank. I put on a different seat but it is worse than the other one. I'm close to finishing. I have to put on another seat, the head badge, move the brake blocks a little and mount the race number backing plate. It works great but is hard to pedal, very heavy. All the races are adjusted now. I'm waiting for my chain pushes and extra skip tooth master links for the race. I have 12 - 24 bolts in there now until I get the pushes.
IMG_1592.JPG

Man, that looks great!
I didn't realize there was another orange bike in the build-off, even though I probably saw the title before and probably even looked at it. Kinda feel bad for painting mine with a thick heavy obnoxious orange paint now.
But I seem unable to make a decision and stick to it where building this bike is concerned. And I think that lots of layers of paint kinda might make it seem older than it is. So I'll probably paint it and change the name a couple of more times.

Nine miles of dirt for a shake down today. I rode mostly on the Ore to Shore race course. The handle bars sunk 3 inches on a big hit. The handle bar bolt is as tight as I dare. Like Gary Fisher said in Klunkerz, these old bikes were never designed for this kind of punishment. I'm going to drill through the stem and bar clamp area, tap it and put a bolt in there. If the bolt brakes when riding, well, that's a different problem. I also found the pull length on the brake lever to be a little short. I'm going to replace the existing brake lever with a vintage canti lever. I have many sets, but none is a cool as the one on it now. I clipped the pedals a lot when I started but if I kept my wits about me I was able to avoid pedal strikes. You can't pedal on the trail when there is a corner, it's that close. My problem is I keep loosing my wits and get a pedal strike. I found I had to push all the moderate and steep hills. It's not going to be a race, a woods tour is more like it. I'm shooting for under 4 hours for about 30 miles. Four years ago I finished in under 3 hours on a 1946 Columbia Klunker, but that had a 2 speed Bendix. I was so much younger then, I'm older than that now. I think Bob Dylan said that or was it Abe Lincoln? Excuse the 60s humor for those too young to get it, which if pretty much everyone now a days.

Oronjeboom can learn from this build. This bike looks 100 times better than the taste of Oranjeboom beer.

When did Oranjeboom Beer get bad? It was good in 1965. I haven't had it since then. I was amazed the first time I had it. It was in an Amsterdam bar. The bartender pored me a glass that was all orange foam, he took an Oranjeboom ruler like stick, knocked the overflowing head off and gave me a glass of foam. I thought I'll never go to this bar again, all they serve is foam. Low and behold, before my very eyes, the foam settled in two seconds into a full glass of delicious beer. It was the same in all the Amsterdam pubs, a glass of foam that magically turned into a full glass of beer before your very eyes. There were Oranjaboom banners across the streets instead of bill boards. That caught my eye and I thought I got to try this. It used to be a very good beer.

Last edited:
I like your 60's humor. And I get it.

You are a brave man for this attempt. I rode a modern day 29er SS with a suspension fork for about a season. It was fun, but a ton of work. I converted it to 1 x 9 (before 1x was popular, 2008) and it did everything I ever needed a mtb to do.

Your right, in the 60ties it was good beer (had to ask my dad). In the 90ties the brewery was sold and I think somewhere in the zeros the name “Oranjeboom” disappeared. In 2013 the brand name was relaunched. The times I drank it was in Haarlem at Queensday. The city was responsible for the organization of the festivities and they always had the same catering company which sold Oranjeboom. At that time the taste was not good. What is still the same in The Netherlands is the foam beers. You need to wait two seconds and there it is. A “gouden rakker” (golden rascal), the only thing that’s left is foam of two fingers thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your right, in the 60ties it was good beer (had to ask my dad). In the 90ties the brewery was sold and I think somewhere in the zeros the name “Oranjeboom” disappeared. In 2013 the brand name was relaunched. The times I drank it was in Haarlem at Queensday. The city was responsible for the organization of the festivities and they always had the same catering company which sold Oranjeboom. At that time the taste was not good. What is still the same in The Netherlands is the foam beers. You need to wait two seconds and there it is. A “gouden rakker” (golden rascal), the only thing that’s left is foam of two fingers thick.

I dian't know that

Last edited:

That beer probably gets skunky ridin on a boat all that way.
Likely completely different when it's fresh.
I know I never cared much for Heineken. But then I drank it in the Netherlands and it was pretty good. I don't think the green bottle blocks UV as well as brown?

That beer probably gets skunky ridin on a boat all that way.
Likely completely different when it's fresh.
I know I never cared much for Heineken. But then I drank it in the Netherlands and it was pretty good. I don't think the green bottle blocks UV as well as brown?

Heineken ditched the brown bottle in the Netherlands as well. It’s all green now. 3 weeks ago I was in the US and the Heinekens I drank were okay. Although it tastes different, it is missing some flavor.

I bought a bunch of bicycles from a Volunteer Fire Department fund raiser. I paid too much for something I didn't need but it's a fund raiser.

I got two rims, four front hubs and a steel stem that I can use. I used the frames to make a fence. The rest was put in the scrap drive for the fire department. Here is the fence
IMG_1595.JPG

I drilled and tapped the gooseneck I got from one of the Fire Department bikes. I'm going to cut a slot in the 1/4 inch bolt for a screw driver. I'll tack the bolt to the stem after I drill through the handlebars. This is the plan to keep Oranjaboom's bars from sagging with big hit.
IMG_1593.JPG

Last edited:
I replaced the cables and housing on my Schwinn bolt on cantilever brakes. The brake lever end was frayed and it didn't fit any newer brake levers. I wanted a big strong long pull lever so a replacement was in the cards even it it wasn't frayed.

Pulling the ends off old cables to use on the new ones. Put it a little loose in a vice and yank.
IMG_1596.JPG

Salvaged old ends.
IMG_1597.JPG

Pressing the salvaged ends into the Schwinn cantilever hardware
IMG_1598.JPG

Using a swaging tool to crimp the salvaged ends onto the cable housings. Housings and plastic liners are Velo Orange stainless wound scrap pieces left over from another brake job.
IMG_1600.JPG

Scrap velo Orange cables, never toss out anything.
IMG_1603.JPG

Brass tubing is used to crimp the place where a second cable is spliced along side the original.
IMG_1604.JPG

Both cables crimped with the brass tube and soldered together, just like the original Schwinn cables were.
IMG_1605.JPG

All the original Schwinn scrap junk
IMG_1606.JPG

Finished and ready to try to install tomorrow.
IMG_1607.JPG

Latest posts

Back