Oranjeboom Bomber

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
1930s Colson with a Schwinn fork and bolt on Cantilever brakes. Marrow coaster 10 tooth skip tooth cog and a skipper 17 tooth chainring. Orange chain, frame and rims. Rims will be replaced with the Morrow and a New Departure front hub.
IMG_1458.JPG

Head badge
IMG_1463.JPG

I was just reminded that you are allowed one entry per class. This is the most complete parts pile I have as I am missing wheels for my other two that I posted and I don't know if I can straighten the frame on the 1920s road racer. All I need to so on this build is paint it orange, build wheels from stuff I have and assemble it.

If anyone is looking I moved my Extrastahlohr Titanus build to "Builds" and the 1938 41 Entry Level Track Bike to "Class two of BO 14. I was reminded of only one entry. I hope it is OK to have 2 but in different classes. The Extrastahlohr Titanus is not good for this BO anyway as the frame/fork is slightly bent. My current thinking for it is to ream and face the head tube, build it up using used cotters and an alternate chainring so as not to mess up the new one, use a lot of stuff that won't be on the bike when finished as I don't want to scratch the NOS parts and build it up with the non original straight fork and if it rides OK, if it does send it to a frame builder to have the head tube and fork repaired, perhaps replace the front triangle and then get it powder coated and assemble it with all the new old stock track parts. Of course it all depends on how many surprises I run into and if it runs reasonably straight. There is a small crack in the seat post tube where someone put the seat up too high but I can easily fix that myself. If I do send it to a frame builder for repair and have it coated then I can't use it for this build off. My thinking on this frame changes daily.

Last edited:
It's 34F and raining so I'm going to start on building the wheels. I can do that inside, sitting but the fire and sipping coffee. As soon as the rain has a break I'll go to the shop, collect all the tools, parts, and bring it all inside. I thought I was done for the year building stuff inside.

Last edited:
Building wheels is fun and very rewarding!

I found, after cleaning, that my Morrow coaster brake hub has many cracks in it. I found two more in my junk and one has good chrome, but not as good as the one with the cracks. I'll have to switch guts. I haven't built the wheels because I'm feeling lazy. Hard to get motivated with the lingering Cold. It's 27 F or -3 C now. It is going to start raining today and stay raining for 3 days. High will be in the 40F. I can work in the shop but I'm still drying that out from the winter flood. When I think it's dry I pull something out of storage and it's wet. Yesterday I had to toss out all my back country road maps for all the counties up here. I'll probably work on cleaning up the Oranjaboom frame so when we get a warm calm day I can prime it. I want to try 2 part epoxy primer. It's supposed to stick the best and also fills nicely. The wood shed is nearly empty so with a few sheets of plastic I can easily make a paint booth. I gotta do this before I start my annual wood drive. Oh the pressure, I can hardly stand it.

Where's the 'dislike / thumbs down' button for that U.P. weather status? Wow. Talk about dragging out a bad winter.:mad:

Hope it improves up there so you can accomplish all your tasks, from wood to rat rods, with pleasure; not pressure!

Where's the 'dislike / thumbs down' button for that U.P. weather status? Wow. Talk about dragging out a bad winter.:mad:

Hope it improves up there so you can accomplish all your tasks, from wood to rat rods, with pleasure; not pressure!
The pressure was a joke, I don't have much going on out there. It's 37F and poring rain right now. My poor pooch didn't want to go out to do his business and I can't blame him. This rain is hard and I think it will make the the lingering patches of ice and snow disappear from the trails. There is still a snow bank under a spruce tree from the plow in front of my property and a few like that here and there on our access road. The highway still has banks but it is back from the shoulder and I and others have been bike riding. Yesterday I began to sand the frame. I did that beside my shop. I wanted to start before the rain hit. I didn't get to the rear triangle but about 50% of the front triangle is sanded. I got the 4 wheeler running yesterday and went on a 6 mile recon on my mountain bike trail to see how many trees I have to clear, not as bad as last year so far, but the trail is 40 miles long. Some of the section connectors I made are too narrow for 4 wheelers and I walked about a mile of those. That is where most of the downed trees were. Our place is in the "Chain of Lakes" 6 lake, connected by streams, that encompass 3 counties. Alger, Schoolcraft and Delta counties. Corner Lake, one of the chain, has all three counties coming together in the middle of it. My 40 mile route circles the whole thing and then some, going to many neighboring lakes. It's a beautiful but exhausting day ride on 13 miles of single track and the rest two track and about 15 miles of gravel. I might have it cleared of fallen timber by the end of next week.

Last edited:
I finished building the front wheel. Yesterdays rain made this a good project. Tomorrow I want to build the rear wheel. I did some more sanding on the frame yesterday. Today is my errand day, 140 miles of round trip to town and back. 35F last night and 37F now with a steady 15mph NNW wind. It stopped raining. I got the wood stove cranked up. Brrrr.

It got up to 60F today so my wife and I went for a walk on the North Country Trail. The black flies started to hatch along the creeks and we had to use bug dope. The NCT goes pretty close to our home. That trail goes, soon to be completed, from the Appalachian Trail in NY State to North Dakota, eventually to hook up with the Rocky Mountain Crest Trail in Montana sometime in the future. So, I didn't get to work on my rear wheel. We ran into a back packer with big grey beard and a huge pack. He had a handgun in a holster on his pack. Bears have killed up here and we have mountain lions, moose and wolves. He was a flatlander from 500 miles south and felt he needed the security. Matches and compass are more important than a gun in the woods up here but a gun is OK, you never know. I never go armed in the bush, unless I'm hunting. I have had encounters with all these critters. Some of them not very friendly. The back packer couldn't believe that there was still snow in the woods. His plan is to continue on the trail but to detour into the Rock River Canyon Wilderness Area to hike along the river bottom as the NCT goes on a gravel road in this area . He didn't want to walk on a gravel road and thought the wilderness walk along the Rock River would be better. I told him there is still a lot of snow in the canyon and deep water in the woods there. There is also no trail. Three years ago a young College woman got lost in there and they still haven't found her. I advised him to keep to the trail. We had a great outing but my wife, the dog and myself are potatoed out. I have about as much bike building ambition as a tuber.

The Morrow hubs were the hub of choice for Gary Fisher and the early 'klunker' conversion guys out in Cali back in the late '70s early '80s. The only one that would hold up to braking on a treacherous mountain descent, and even still, had to 'feather' the brakes.

Black fly hatch and snow and ice on the same trail. Only in the U.P. I took a group of junior high kids on a 3 day hike on the North Country Trail back in the mid '80s. Western Wisconsin section from Copper Falls to the Brule River. It's the #11 area on the map.
https://www.nps.gov/noco/planyourvisit/maps.htm

I laced the rear wheel. Now I have to get the Morrow hub guts out of the solvent bath and assemble it. The Morrow brakes are huge, way bigger than on any other hub I have seen. I'll post a picture of the guts before I insert them into the hub.
View attachment 95423

Ooooooohhhhh.............Marchesini

The Morrow hubs were the hub of choice for Gary Fisher and the early 'klunker' conversion guys out in Cali back in the late '70s early '80s. The only one that would hold up to braking on a treacherous mountain descent, and even still, had to 'feather' the brakes.

Black fly hatch and snow and ice on the same trail. Only in the U.P. I took a group of junior high kids on a 3 day hike on the North Country Trail back in the mid '80s. Western Wisconsin section from Copper Falls to the Brule River. It's the #11 area on the map.
https://www.nps.gov/noco/planyourvisit/maps.htm
Black flies are so thick today that I inhaled them and am drinking coffee trying to wash them down. I have two complete Morrow rear coaster hubs, I think one has a 1/2 pitch drive but I'm not sure. I have several rear hubs shells as well. I'm using a skip tooth chainring from a sidewalk bike with 17 teeth. The morrow skip tooth drive has 10 teeth. I have read that the Morrow coaster hub doesn't work real well with low gearing but I'm not sure why. It might be because there is a lot of reverse distance to back pedal before the coaster engages, a problem with Bendix manual 2 speeds. Nexus 3 speeds don't have this problem. The brake shoes are the entire length of the hub shell and are thick.

It's 39F and windy now and we are just coming off 2 days of rain. Day time highs have been in the 40sF most of the week and lows still in the 30sF. When it does get up to 50sF the black flies make going outside impossible. The weather is going to break and the black flies are only bad for two weeks. I'm waiting for this to happen so I can finish sanding the frame and then start priming it. The wheels are built so all it needs is paint and then I can start assembling it. I'll probably not work on it for awhile, unless the weather gets suddenly normal and the black flies have a light hatch, but with all the rain that isn't in the cards.

I just read though your thread, it was interesting. I liked all the background stuff about the trails. I too enjoy building wheels. Usually a Shimano 3 speed coaster or a three band Bendix into a cruiser rim or a 57 mm fatty. I have never really thought about the extra travel on the kickback until you pointed it out. I still like those hubs for cruisers it's nice to have that easy gear with a tank of a bike for take off and hills (in the city we call em overpasses) How about a mockup of your bike? I like those mid-build poses and it's cool to see where you're going.

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Latest posts

Back