Opinions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not a flipper as such, but I have sold some of my full custom scratch builds...

I don't advertise at all, in fact I don't ever look to sell, people just see me riding my bikes, or sees one of my videos on YouTube or Facebook and asks that golden question : "How much?"

Apparently I don't charge enough though, I usually just sell to cover costs, a couple of the guys I have sold to tell me of the offers they receive when they are out riding, and they are 4-5 times as much as I charged them, none of them have re-sold the bike yet though!

Luke.

Location is important. I live somewhere bikes don't really sell for much, there just isn't any demand. Unless you're picking up bikes for free, you just wont make any money flipping bikes some places. I personally wouldn't put any money into a bike I ever intended to sell.

good points Luke...as usual

It's probably true. I built a tiny trailer...it's like a camper, or small cargo trailer on a HF frame to haul stuff from Pa. To Florida recently.
Everywhere I went...and every hotel I stayed in....people were asking me where they could get one...

Franco

11873401_10153562293953522_1304342452680442841_n.jpg

I've been wondering where y'all sell these bikes you cook up.
Craigslist sets the price for you , depending on where you live, eh?

I'm learning more about making what I want, and also experimenting with different bikes I fix up and service and try to sell on Clist to see what people want.

Currently I have about 4 bikes up there.
Do the real deal builders here think that everyone who peruses CL knows all about parts and ratios, years, date codes and if the wheels are perfectly trued or not. Most I sell to are just , you know. regular people who want a bike. For their kid, for them, whatever

I have my old Schwinn 57 Spitfire up there for 175 bucks.....nothin'.
But, I may have crapped it up because I painted the frame, and didn't really add any decals...yet It rides great and looks nice, I see rotted hulks around the same year on Ebay goin for 'hundreds' more.

I also cleaned and turned a roadmaster 18 sp Mtn. Bike into a single speed...mint green...looks great, )I know...I know...it's a Roadmaster)...but it's honestly one of the smoothest riding bikes I have..don't ask me why? anyway...listed for 40 bucks.....3 calls, 2 no shows..and one gal came over today and wanted it with all of the fancy 'gears'.....OY.

My biggest question is..on some of the really high end builds I've seen on this site....where do you sell them? Some of you have like a grand or more into them,...and countless hours.....and man, they look it too. Surely you don't pop them up on Craigslist...

Just wondering....sorry for the long post...I watch this guy on Youtube who is a bike flipper, he finds bikes at yard sales and such, and states...OH, this one will go for 300 bucks easy....on CL...that's his magic price for every bike...oh..$300, ...no sweat.

Not in my neighborhood....lol.....
thanks...any input on flipping more bikes appreciated...cuz I'm sorta new at this
Franco

SV_7361.png
This should be it's own thread, maybe it is.

My advice, consignment @ your lbs.

I used to flip bikes on the side, tons of time & no money.

Now I work at a bike shop which I previously refused to patronize because of the service. Things are turning around now.

I am near a large college, and there is a downtown scene (hipsters) a large hospital... plenty of buyers. But our local economy is shot, so is our cl. Btw, like, nobody around here looks for bikes on cl. Less than 10% of my customers. Only the "bike people", and not many of them.

3 times I've sold a bike at work on commission for over 200. These are all nice road bikes that languished on cl for 60.
People come into the lbs expecting to pay 100s, and get a turn key product.

They see my shiny waxed bike, ready to roll for 1/8 the price.. They can pay in cash, or plastic, or layaway. I see my money. My boss sees his money. A lot of times people buy accessories, and they always leave happy. They think they have a "unique " bike, and i dont tell them about the mile high pile if Japanese 10 speeds at home [emoji1]

The only bikes i bring in are 7/10 or better, I put muliti speeds out and let people request the ss conversion.

I learned to get away from the cl tire kickers, buy your bikes there, don't sell em.

The people who want a bike for their kid are doing family things, find a local family focused venue, or even pizza joint & put up a flyer with a pic of a row of kids bikes, "starting at $25" with your number

Lock a sweet commuter with a for sale sign to the bike rack where the Dr's park.

I collaborated with a neighbor on a ss build. He rides it to work & the bars, and hes constantly selling simular bikes for me to his 20 something friends. Mixtes are a hit with that crowd.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Oh, and as for selling your sweet customs and antiques... dont! trade 10 speeds for storage space! ☺

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Great advice, thanks C Cycle.
I think living near to college town rings true....
I know flippers who do much better there...

I'm thinking of hitchin up the tiny trailer and just driving around with it
I had two notes attached to my windshield with peoples names and numbers when I did.....
But for now the trailer is 'perfect' for storage when it's not rollin'...all of my tools and lots of other stuff I sell online are in there....
I was going to build another trailer, a true Teardrop ...but got obsessed with bikes recently instead....:13:

CCycle..you still up in Bangor? nice college town, but bicycle riding is what? two months out of the year....lol....( J.K. former Mainer (out of statah' here):cool2:

SV_7344.png

found a freecycle....kids Schwinn tricycle on my morning 'scrounge ' run...newer one, cleaning up rust, polishing lot's of Chrome.. take some nice pics...slap it up on CL....it's coming up Xmas time, trike for your little tyke, ya know. :happy:

we're either hearty...or crazy CC.....lol

Latest posts

Back