one ugly Trek and a John Deere

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trek 800 covered in stickers. BB is junk and it won't budge. 24" crescent wrench with another 18" cheater bar and I can't get either side to move. Liquid Wrench hasn't worked.

John Deere. Men's 10 speed from the early 1970s. Pretty clean. Minus the wheels and drive train. Someone put on the flat bars and wrapped them with foam tape. The orginal brake levers were criminally bad. A screw held the suicide levers on but the screws would fall out. The way the levers were designed, that would leave the bike with NO brakes. The cable end hooked in to the suicide lever instead of the main lever like all other brands. One other unique item about these bikes were the welded on reflector mounts. The two seat stay reflector mounts are broken off. The head tube reflector is still there. Thinking of a single speed conversion. I have these two hot pink deep dish rims...

Trek 800 covered in stickers. BB is junk and it won't budge. 24" crescent wrench with another 18" cheater bar and I can't get either side to move. Liquid Wrench hasn't worked.

Have you heated it with a propane torch? I had a Raleigh M30 that I picked up with a bad cartridge BB. After I pulled the cranks and started heating it, I found the non drive side retainer was plastic. Melted it to carbon and plucked it out. other side came out then. Cleaned the threads (bubbled a little paint in the area) replaced the bearings and flipped it.

I got a propane torch out last night so that's on todays task list. I expect flames from all the penetrating oils. The screw for the plastic cable guide is seized too. I've found some Treks with that screw so long it bottoms out on the cartridge.

I gave up trying to get the bb out. Gave it to a friend to try and he broke the vise at the local coop with it. DOh! So now we need another 5" bench vise for our bike charity.
I'll get pictures saturday.

Had a Trek similar to that once and after heat, torches, and impacts it came out to reveal the frame was cross-threaded from the factory. The shop I went to said they had seen other Treks like that too.

Hopefully you post the John Deere pics when you are done.

I've seen several chinese made bikes where they obviously used air power tools to put the bbs in. So much power it tore the right cups apart as the threads keep going in but the flange is stopped at the frame. But we could thread them out. When you first see them, they look cross threaded. But they aren't.

I gave up trying to get the bb out. Gave it to a friend to try and he broke the vise at the local coop with it. DOh! So now we need another 5" bench vise for our bike charity.
I'll get pictures saturday.
In my experience that type of bb can’t be removed. Throw it out and save the aggravation. If the threaded parts are not set into the bb then you can weld a bar on them, put on a giant pipe and hope for the best. This might require thread chasing if you get it out. I have tried penetrating oil and ultrasonic vibration with mixed results.

Latest posts

Back