one thing leads to another

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this all started with the talks about getting new equipment at work. I cook for living and the restaurant i work for had very old stoves on the hot line. On the top portion of one of them there was a 'sally' or salamander, like a broiler with a shelf that could be raised or lowered with a gear shift like handle. Being a scavenger i knew that when it became time to get rid of this equipment i would have to get the 'shifter' for use on a bike, the perfect jockey shifter.

i began thinking about using a standard cruiser frame, and after some time i wanted to stretch it some. I found some old frames that woud be fine if i didn't know their age (turns out i had a '57 and '67Schwinn) i wasn't about to cut them up. after a bunch of head scratching and reading on here i figured i would just dive in and do full scratch built frame. I have never done this, i'm rather new to welding (1.5 years tinkering) i have built 3 bikes prior only the last one had any real fabrication to do.

since i was unsure if this would actually work out i did i want to spend too much on the materials. i have read that Atomic Zombie used electrical conduit tubing for it lightweight, cheap, strong enough qualities so figured for the first time around i would go this route to save cash. Only problem is conduit is galvanised and welding galvanized metals produces fumes that can be hazardous to your health. i decided to do much of the welding outside to remedy this, and used a fan blowing away from me directly behind where i was working. when i needed to work inside i had a second fan blowing air towards me as well. It probably wasn't worth the cost savings to take days off my life, but oh well.

since the begining there has not only been a plan for a jockey shifter but a coaster brake to keep the handle bars clean and free of any cables, levers etc. i decided to use a Sturmey archer 3 speed with coaster. first i tried to use a salvaged one i found at a local bike shop. but it turned out to be no good and i had no shifter for it anyway. i bought a new hub with everything including a grip-shifter witch made things a littler easier.

i knew that the rear wheel must be 24" and the front 26" to fit the bobber/chopper theme (i also had these spare rims) and when i went to look for some white wall ballo0n tires, i also found the Kenda flames which are way too ...... to pass up, especially with a 24x3.0 and 26x2.125 option fitting a chopper perfectly i had to build the rear wheel my self to get the hub/wheel size i wanted but it was another thing i needed to learn how to do for the first time, took some figuring out and reading on Sheldon Brown's site but it turned out nice
checkpoint014.jpg

i began to bend tube (with regular old conduit bender) to fit the tires, the bike was getting to look like something
checkpoint003.jpg
checkpoint002.jpg
checkpoint001.jpg
checkpoint004.jpg

the seat i got was kinda worn, but it was free, so i recovered it, originally i was gonna be fake suede but i saw this fir at the fabric store, just kinda spoke to me.
checkpoint013.jpg
ive seen lots of cheetah and leopard seats but no giraffe. although giraffe should be on a tallbike, it really fits better than i had intended as the head tube and long backbone is kinda like a girafe drinking from a river
checkpoint010.jpg

i have been planing on a side car from the beginning but wanted to make it detachable and leaning. i had thought about a fixed one for some time just for simplicty's sake but leaning is just so cool and better performing. the flexi side car seemed like the hot setup except it made for a wider rig, i wanted to still be able to get through the center-post gates on my bike path. so i decided on the fixed outrigger wheel with a pivot on the bike, the bike leans the side cars stays level and the wheel is always upright. i read about this on a motorcycle site, and there where links to a German site with tons of pictures. whats important is that the from pivot is higher than the rear one making the outrigger wheel toe in on left turns and toe out on right turns just slightly steering it, so it won't scrub the tire. sounds complicated but really very simple, Germans are so smart that way.
checkpoint012.jpg

i have most of the sub-frame bent up but haven't started to weld as i need to make more room in the garage first.

just need to get some gussets made and on to paint, i think it will be tan frame with black on the dropout/track ends and head tube, forks might be black or silver and black

jockey sifter will be finhed nicely when i figure it out, i might end up making the "shifty ......." part
checkpoint015.jpg

cyclekiller said:
after a bunch of head scratching and reading on here i figured i would just dive in and do full scratch built frame.

That's the spirit!! :D Really looking forward to seeing that sidecar construction! Cool build! :)

That bikes got some "style"!........Conduit: Cheap, light weight, easy to work with....Some people like it, some don't....I've used a lot of it........Just make sure you grind the galvanized areas before you weld, helps to eliminate the "deadly" fumes. 8)

had to re work the upper chain stay to make clearance for the chain, instead of running the derailleur guide, glad i did, looks much better now, also doubled up the dropouts for strength, added the tab with slot for the brake arm too
picture022.jpg

added a speedo, guess i was inspired by the cover page, i tried it on the handlebars in various places, but nothing looked right..i wanted the bars to stay clean with no brake,shifter cables, it just cluttered it up. it just fits there like it should have been there, this way there is minimal cable, don't worry it clears the frame when turning, made sure before i welded
picture019.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28195

added some gussets, welded up everything, just some blending left, gotta make the adapter piece for eh shifter handle still too
picture026.jpg

i had to change the stem to a stock one flipped backward, made the ride more comfortable but looks kinda silly, this may change to a chopper like riser/double stem or something like that

thought for moment of going for ape hangers, but that would ruin the lowness to it

i'll stick to what i have for now

i've been considering a kickstand, i mostly think bikes shouldn't have kickstands but this kinda needs it, It will be removable bolting to the rear sidecar mount (since a kickstand on a bike with a sidecar is redundant)
pics tomorrow

once i got the primer on there i decided it looked good like that and wanted to see what it all looked like put together...good enough for now, i guess i'll paint it when i finish the side car in the spring(why store the side car all winter)

bobber001.jpg
bobber004.jpg
bobber002.jpg

That is so freakin cool man! I can't believe you guys that make these awesome bikes from scratch! That's art!!

That is so freakin cool man! I can't believe you guys that make these awesome bikes from scratch! That's art!!

Latest posts

Back