Old Vs New

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thankfully manufacturers learned from the DH/Freeride scene that mtbs sbouldnt be built with road bike geometry :) but even today, take two different bikes from the same manufacturer and the geometry will differ depending on type of riding the bicycle was intended for. XC bikes will have less suspension travel, steeper head tube angle, and other subtle differences than a trail bike or all mountain/enduro bike, and be completely different from a DH specific rig.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

MTB'S today aren't for tall people and neither are any other style of bike made current day (in my opinion this is a forum) so vintage or retro bikes do well for me , back when bike companies offered different sizes of the same model to accommodate riders of all heights and weight , and honestly I prefer a chro-moly frame over aluminum any day of the week ✌

MTB'S today aren't for tall people and neither are any other style of bike made current day (in my opinion this is a forum) so vintage or retro bikes do well for me , back when bike companies offered different sizes of the same model to accommodate riders of all heights and weight , and honestly I prefer a chro-moly frame over aluminum any day of the week ✌
Have you tried a 29er? It's a mtb with 700c sized wheels, add a mt bike tire and you get around 29" in diameter. The XL sized 29er will fit a guy in the 6'4" - 6'6" range, depending on your body style. Much more range to fit tall guys than 26" wheeled mtb's ever offered. Modern road bikes come in many more sizes than were ever offered pre-1990.

I'm just under 6'2" and find the old, vintage bikes (other than old Schwinn road bikes) never fit me without using a laid back seat post to extend the cockpit. And, on a cruiser bike, we don't have full leg extension anyway because of the nature of the ride. I don't feel like we should even try to compare these different styles of bikes. Different styles, different fits for that style, and way different purposes.

Scoped out the 29er xl MTB'S , have to say they look ridiculous and cost way to much for my budget , but thanks for the heads up odd , I may look for a good used one on CL here soon though to try it out ✌

I am 5'8" and 155 pounds and can't ride any of the modern geometry bikes. They suck for a short old person. I bang pedals, can't steer on technical hill climbing. The 29er is the worst thing ever invented for me. I have demoed everything that comes up here and they are all bad, down right dangerous. The downhill geometry is not for me. I don't care about going fast downhill, I am 71. I leave the speed on the rough downhills to the youngsters. They really don't make a bike that works for me anymore so I have to take older technology and make it into something it wasn't designed to be. Currently I have a small 2007 Specialized Epic (I also looked for a small Trek Top Fuel with 26 inch tires). There aren't that many small framed cross country 26 inch wheeled bikes out there right now. I looked for about 6 months before I found one (would have preferred a 2009). I ride better on a small frame and have tried both small and med frames on a lot of demo bikes and small always wins for me. I modified the 2007 Specialized by putting on 2.35 Hans Dumpf tires converted to tubeless, a 20 inch titanium chain ring, 11 x 36 cassette, new chain, dropper seat post, longer gooseneck, new shifters and a few new spokes. I probably have $1000 into it but it is the best MB I have ever ridden. I can really toss it around and it climbs like a champ, which is all I care about. I can understand why they don't make a bike suitable for a geriatric rider as there aren't that many of us and we won't be around in the long run to make it worth their while to try and develop brand loyalty.

Went to my local LBS today , he's a competitive MTBR and very honest , he said that the 29er xl frames are ok and not ok you know ? he said the urban cruiser I own now is far better quality than the bikes being built today and is suitable for my needs commuting daily , modern MTB'S are not for me as I gave them a fighting chance (odd) , rode a 29er xl S Works with all the goodies , honestly there ugly and geometry is all wrong for being in the saddle for long commutes (this is a forum) so honest I will be ✌

Steel is real! Totally agree that a modern 29er XC bike doesnt make a good commuter. I prefer taking the old 90s steel framed rigid mtbs and converting them to commuter status with slicks, fenders, and taller gearing. They make great budget commuters and can take a beating!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

20170102_160256-1.jpg
This is my urban bomber 1983 Ross Mt Hood MTB with the og bull moose handlebars , changed the fork and brakes and back rim and saddle , other than than its all og and my daily commuter (not the best picture but you get the just of it) hope yall like it , recently added some thickslick 2.0's , I'm 6"3 and 265 so this tall frame fits me well

Parts list :
1) Shimamo tourney AD takagi crankset 48/39/28 with shimano pd-mx15 BMX/MTB pedals , og
2) Shimano uni-glide MTB chain 3/32x1/2 , (UG/VIA 3F) markings on the chain og
3) SR-Sakae gold anodized hi-flange hubs and galvanized spokes , og
4) Suntour AG-5000 rd , Suntour AG-Tech fd and Suntour mighty shifters (thumbies) , og
5) 4130 Cho-moly ishiwata 0.24 (double butted) tubing lugged frame , og
6) Dia-Compe side pull brakes (not og) and Dia-Compe 4 finger MTB brake levers og
7) Thickslick 2.0 tyres (awesome sauce)
8) Front rim is a Ukai 26x2.1.25 gold anodized og , rear rim is a 26x1.75 black anodized Weinmann BMX/cruiser rim (replacement)
9) A'ME triangle krayton yellow BMX grips
10) Shimano bull moose handlebars , og
11) Ross professional headset , og
12) Greenfield kickstand , og
13) Unknown dual springer vintage saddle (faux leather) but super comfy and og suntour alloy seat post and sakae quick release seat clamp , og
14) Maillard France 5 speed freewheel (14/18/21,25,28) og
15) Sun-Lite Hi-Ten steel rigid MTB fork (250mm steer tube length) replacement
16) Hatta Hi-Cup BB , og
20170101_213903-1.jpg

Last edited:
Went to my boys place today , he has some high end MTB'S and went for a ride around the area you know some urban exploring ? I was riding a 2016 Specialized 29er xl frame (hardtail) with a front shock , all the bells and whistles and even a brooks flyer saddle and slick tires very expensive bike and with the upgrades the bike still let me down in the comfort area as I posted before , the modern MTB'S frame geometry isn't for long commutes and saddle time , this is my opinion and this is a forum what might work for me will not work for you as I gave this a chance due to a previous posting directed at me , I'm not close minded to try new things and this I know , I can not afford the bike I was riding nor the saddle I was sitting on lol , only part I liked was the saddle and the shimano disc brakes and the tires as I own a set of thickslick 2.0's and the lights on the bike , peace ✌

Have to add this , for a short commute this bike would be perfect , alot of fun and fast and nimble and stop on a dime not putting down the construction and reliability and the appearance . This bike isn't my first choice , all in all a good bike just not for me ✌

Last edited:
I think you are doing an apple v oranges comparison kewlcat. If I'm following what your saying, is that old mtbs make better urban bomber / commuters than modern mtbs. If that is your position, I most likely agree. However, I don't think there is much of a comparison between the two as actual mountain bikes...new mtbs are very purpose specific and well engineered, where, imo, vintage mtbs were essentially just beefier road/touring bikes in most cases, or upsized geared bmx'rs in the rest.

It is the case of the right tool for the job. I wouldn't consider a modern full-blown mtb to be the best choice for an urban bomber...and I definitely wouldn't want to ride even the easiest downhill trails at Mt. Hood on a 1980-something mountain bike :grin:.

Cool Ross :thumbsup:,
Jason

Hoosier , nice ride and yes I bet it glides , as I'm a fan of 80's MTB'S and I own one myself a 83 Ross Mt Hood same size head tube and all and a tall frame check it out , couldn't find a BMX fork in a 250mm length , I wanted a landing gear chrome fork for my bike , SE racing doesn't have them in that length only 200mm , dig the bike ✌

Last edited:
Thought about buying one and getting the steer tube lengthened to 250mm by a welder/fabricator , custom ? Don't know if it's possible or safe , any one tried this before ?

I need to do the same with a fork I have for the Mongoose, I was thinking of cutting adding the length needed from a donor fork placing an inner sleeve then tig welded by a competent welder...?

Might work ? Who knows all you can do is try lol , get a cheapo fork to try it on , so you don't ruin a good fork , a 1' x 250mm threaded BMX fork doesn't exist lol

Latest posts

Back