Old Schwinn????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Is this a schwinn???? any idea??

bike2011003.jpg

Looks like a '37. Tough to tell without better pics.

The welds look pretty sloppy for a Schwinn.

With the Gothic peaked fenders, and double curved bars, it looks as though it may be like a '37 or '38 Cleveland Welding Frame. It looks very much like my '36 roadmaster, but in '37 they went to the peaked fenders, and in '38 I think they ditched the little wing on the fork, and went to the flat fork like yours. That said, I've never seen them without curved truss rods. If it is a Schwinn frame, it might be a BA67 from the late 30s w/ a different fork/fender setup.

If you decide to get rid of the rear carrier, let me know.

Wes

I wonder if the older Schwinns had the date stamped on the inside of the cranks? But those cranks look a lot shinier than the sprocket, so it might not help.

The bike is a 1937 Colson. Colson had their own version of a “sweetheart sprocket” which is a bit heavier than the one Schwinn used. The stem is actually the ubiquitous Wald #3 which everyone used. The crank has been changed out as the original would have a dog leg.

The best thing about this frame (for most adult riders) is the stretched out nature of the design with its loooong wheelbase. Colson offered this frame in 1936 and 1937. Earlier (36) versions used a tubular fork. The frame was continued for a while in 1938 but the geometry was changed to a shorter wheelbase and the top tubes were spread a bit to hold the new for 1938 snap tank (no tank was made for the 36-37 frames.)

If anyone has any interest in the bike let me know, i already have too many projects going on at the moment. The bars belong to another bike though. I could do 150 shipped....

El Duderino said:
no matter what it is... i want the grips

You can actually get re-pop coke bottle grips from memory lane. Not too bad on price either. $24 a set.
http://www.memorylane-classics.com/
coke%20Bottle.JPG

They have Coke Bottle, Pointed End, Elgin Pointed End, Early Monark, Late Monark, JC Higgins, Ball End, Columbia Script,
Western Flyer, and many others in stock and some others that can be special ordered such as the Elgin Bluebird grips.

Latest posts

Back