Old Schwinn Twin tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As of tonight I own this bike! I have actually been back and forth with the seller for a couple weeks, and we finally reached an agreement. I don't know a lot about it. He believes it is a Schwinn, unknown model. At a guess, I would say the handlebars, seat, pedals, and missing front fender are not original. The frame, fork, wheelset and cottered crank look like they probably are. Rear fender and chain guard have a strange texture, so if they are original they have been painted and not professionally.
0427192014.jpg
0427192015a.jpg

It's not a Schwinn, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Something German, or Austrian maybe. I don't think its a Stelber although it is similar. The biggest issue is that the frame looks bent at the head tube. It's probably straight gauge tubing so you might be able to pull it back out (at your own risk).

Last edited:
With a little careful work I have removed the probably brushed on house paint, and revealed a "Western Flyer" Headtube badge underneath.
0428190941.jpg

Only numbers I can find stamped on the BB shell are 2260515. I haven't had any luck searching online just yet. Anyone have the secret decoder ring for this?

It's not a Schwinn, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Something German, or Austrian maybe. I don't think its a Stelber although it is similar. The biggest issue is that the frame looks bent at the head tube. It's probably straight gauge tubing so you might be able to pull it back out (at your own risk).

It is probably just bad camera angles and lighting. In person I don't see the bend you are referring to.

I took a look at the area you refer to. I think this is how it is supposed to be on this bike. Both tubes have the same angle bend, tire distance from the lower frame in no way looks awkward, the lugs have an angle to them that wouldn't allow for straight entry, and I see no other signs of stress [cracks, bends or creases in other nearby tubing etc.] Good eye though.
0428191340a.jpg

This is an enlightening thread. I've never seen a Western Flyer that was lugged and cottered before, and I'm betting this was imported during that '56-'57 strike that so impacted production of JC Higgins bikes of the era. As best I can tell, that 'swollen' badge is unique, but similar to others used during the time frame. I believe Sears obtained most their imported bikes from Puch in Austria. Western Flyer...who knows?

I'd definitely buy that being produced by Bauer--the chainring, guard, etc are identical to your bike. Check out the rear hub and let us know what you find.

Last edited:
The late 50's early 60's saw English and German made lightweight lugged frames sold as JC Higgins, then Sears after 1962 and Western Flyer. The chain ring looks to be the German style as the English ones were easily recognizable. The larger fork crown may be a late 50's feature. as I've seen a lot of the 60's WF's and Sears models that don't match up to that one. The twin bar frame is also unusual, so it may be a late 50's bike that wasn't that popular. I had a 60's Hercules with twin top tubes bent the same way. I couldn't ride it with no hands, the trail angle wasn't right. I looked at pictures of the same bike and the tubes didn't have a bend in them. I looked for a picture of your bike and didn't find anything close. I'll keep looking.
A photo of the forks and frame with the forks pointed forward would show it the best. Usually the forks would take the bend in a collision, and it's possible they did, and were straightened. The best way to check is to remove the forks and check the angle of the tube versus the legs.

Thanks! that's a lot of good info. So with all the "rare" and so on....is this something of greater value than anticipated? I have big plans forming around this....but am not a restorer. More of a rat and modified kind of guy....

Thanks! that's a lot of good info. So with all the "rare" and so on....is this something of greater value than anticipated? I have big plans forming around this....but am not a restorer. More of a rat and modified kind of guy....
On this one Id say "rare" means there is not to many of them out there (probably because I've scrapped many of these bikes myself) and not so much worth more. I also agree the frame looks a bit bent at the head tube. It'll definitely make an amazing rat rod build and will look great when done. Ride it!!!

I try to make a distinction between "rare" and "uncommon." Rare implies a certain degree of collectibility, and I don't see a whole lot of that in this bike. That doesn't render it worthless--missing pieces, modern substitutions, and a thick coat of house paint make the rat build decision that much easier.

Latest posts

Back