Old Schwinn Twin tube?

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by Ethan, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Ethan

Ethan

As of tonight I own this bike! I have actually been back and forth with the seller for a couple weeks, and we finally reached an agreement. I don't know a lot about it. He believes it is a Schwinn, unknown model. At a guess, I would say the handlebars, seat, pedals, and missing front fender are not original. The frame, fork, wheelset and cottered crank look like they probably are. Rear fender and chain guard have a strange texture, so if they are original they have been painted and not professionally. 0427192014.jpg 0427192015a.jpg

2. Falstaff

Falstaff

Looks like a concord, hope you got a good deal.

Ethan likes this.
  3. Ethan

Ethan

I think it was a good deal, no cash, barter system is alive and well in my world. Any guess as to a "good deal" in cash value? Guesses at approximate age are of interest as well

4. Falstaff

Falstaff

Barter system rocks:rockout:
    I don't put much value in it personally.

Ethan likes this.
  5. Ethan

Ethan

Fair enough, any thoughts on age. This is in the running as a build off bike for me at this time.

6. Falstaff

Falstaff

Probably 1970s

7. SSG

SSG

It's not a Schwinn, but I'm not sure what it is exactly. Something German, or Austrian maybe. I don't think its a Stelber although it is similar. The biggest issue is that the frame looks bent at the head tube. It's probably straight gauge tubing so you might be able to pull it back out (at your own risk).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  8. Ethan

Ethan

With a little careful work I have removed the probably brushed on house paint, and revealed a "Western Flyer" Headtube badge underneath. 0428190941.jpg

9. Ethan

Ethan

Only numbers I can find stamped on the BB shell are 2260515. I haven't had any luck searching online just yet. Anyone have the secret decoder ring for this?

10. Ethan

Ethan

It is probably just bad camera angles and lighting. In person I don't see the bend you are referring to.

11. SSG

SSG

RustySprockets likes this.
  12. Ethan

Ethan

I took a look at the area you refer to. I think this is how it is supposed to be on this bike. Both tubes have the same angle bend, tire distance from the lower frame in no way looks awkward, the lugs have an angle to them that wouldn't allow for straight entry, and I see no other signs of stress [cracks, bends or creases in other nearby tubing etc.] Good eye though. 0428191340a.jpg

13. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

This is an enlightening thread. I've never seen a Western Flyer that was lugged and cottered before, and I'm betting this was imported during that '56-'57 strike that so impacted production of JC Higgins bikes of the era. As best I can tell, that 'swollen' badge is unique, but similar to others used during the time frame. I believe Sears obtained most their imported bikes from Puch in Austria. Western Flyer...who knows?

I'd definitely buy that being produced by Bauer--the chainring, guard, etc are identical to your bike. Check out the rear hub and let us know what you find.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Ethan likes this.
  14. Ethan

Ethan

I am reading the marking correctly, the rear hub is a coaster, with F. & S. B Komet Super written on it

15. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

16. Ethan

Ethan

You can't see it well in the original pics I put up, but the arm for the coaster brake is unique on this. Normally there is a band around the chainstay, that then bolts to the arm. This set up, the arm has 2 fingers that sit on either side of the seatstay with no band required.

17. Wildcat

Wildcat

The late 50's early 60's saw English and German made lightweight lugged frames sold as JC Higgins, then Sears after 1962 and Western Flyer. The chain ring looks to be the German style as the English ones were easily recognizable. The larger fork crown may be a late 50's feature. as I've seen a lot of the 60's WF's and Sears models that don't match up to that one. The twin bar frame is also unusual, so it may be a late 50's bike that wasn't that popular. I had a 60's Hercules with twin top tubes bent the same way. I couldn't ride it with no hands, the trail angle wasn't right. I looked at pictures of the same bike and the tubes didn't have a bend in them. I looked for a picture of your bike and didn't find anything close. I'll keep looking.
    A photo of the forks and frame with the forks pointed forward would show it the best. Usually the forks would take the bend in a collision, and it's possible they did, and were straightened. The best way to check is to remove the forks and check the angle of the tube versus the legs.

18. Ethan

Ethan

Thanks! that's a lot of good info. So with all the "rare" and so on....is this something of greater value than anticipated? I have big plans forming around this....but am not a restorer. More of a rat and modified kind of guy....

19. pedal4416

pedal4416

On this one Id say "rare" means there is not to many of them out there (probably because I've scrapped many of these bikes myself) and not so much worth more. I also agree the frame looks a bit bent at the head tube. It'll definitely make an amazing rat rod build and will look great when done. Ride it!!!

20. RustySprockets

RustySprockets

I try to make a distinction between "rare" and "uncommon." Rare implies a certain degree of collectibility, and I don't see a whole lot of that in this bike. That doesn't render it worthless--missing pieces, modern substitutions, and a thick coat of house paint make the rat build decision that much easier.

Ethan likes this.