Old Ford/GP tail lights? What to build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Any ideas on what kind of a build could look evil or all terrain in memory of the WWII jeep? I bought a pair of new production tail/turn lights as on the old jeeps and one will go on my 76 GL1000. One will be available for the bike of my choice. I think a beat up looking fat tire bike with 20 or 40MM ammo cans for Panniers. Almost all can be Olive Drab and rust. That's the way I want to make my GL 1000. Be Well, SS.

92f6591620da18589cb0e6552dd74565.jpg
efffd984bc5a31131a101665d267fd5d.jpg

How about a CYC bottom bracket motor with 48 v overvolted to 52 V. Or maybe get crazy and go up to a 72V battery and controller. But what frame is Heavy Duty enough? Tires? I guess lots of details depend on what bike I find. That is the first order of the day. Maybe buy a cheap fat tire bike from the innanet. Motobecane? It may take a long time to find a bike if I don't look at something new. I can make it rat enough. I had an old 82 GMC fat body with hot rod parts and a big carb on it. Looked like a rust bucket. Exhaust headers and dual pipes. Cam and a 5 speed 700 R4 in it. Got tired of redoing things and just sold it. I told the guy who bought it to rebuild it first. Most of those run best, right before the engine grenades on you. A friend saw Old Silver out on the highway being winched onto a repair shop's flat bed and owner getting into the cab. Said the new owner looked like he needed a hug. I tried to tell him. Anyway maybe the Motobecane would be a good start. I'm going to ogle them tonight and think. Be Well, SS.

Capt. thanks. I have seen the one with the double miniguns in photos. I have seen maybe one additional. I love them. I wanted to put a supercharger on mine. It has that drive belt in front for the water pump. Add a pulley in an air conditioner clutch and just flip a switch. Instant flight. Are the gas stations close enough together? Be Well, SS.

Last edited:
Got the old Ford GP lights in the mail yesterday. Changed out the conventional bulbs to LED bulbs. The 5007 bulbs were available in LED form and so was the 1157, changed to 1157R for the tail lights. Took two Duracel 9 V batteries and snapped them together one positive to one negative. (one upside down to the other. DON'T snap all 4 together) . Again one positive to one negative. Then use two snap connectors for 9V batteries on one of the unused terminal of each battery. You only need to use one positive on one end and one negative from the other free connection on the other battery. Take one wire from the black on one side and red from the upside down one. Use them to connect to the terminals on the light. The 1157 light for a car tail light has two hot terminals and the metal frame on these is used for the black negative terminal. Clear as mud? Sorry, will try to get a photo for you in the next few days. I'm retired so I'm really really busy. I have done quite a bit of nothing but have so much more (nothing) to do. the Be Well, SS, otherwise known as Rusty Zipper on other forums.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to worry about the voltage difference with 12V car compared to 18 volts in two small batteries as these. The LEDs I was told are a form of control of the power. So they light up in the process of controlling the voltage. They do make for a bright light. I will have to check on how long they last in this set up. Between the ground and the battery you can put a switch. I did forget that but I am going to put one on the underside of the tail light body to hopefully slow down moisture infiltration to the light. A tiny bit of silicone sealer should be good here. You will have to wing it on mounting the batteries. Inside the light will be my choice. Be Well, SS.

I think you are on the right track with the fat tire bike and ammo boxes.
-I love that 'wing.

Latest posts

Back