Off on another tangent.... BSA custom long lean Path Racer "The Archduke" that turns into an Art Deco Roadster!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few of us talked about mounts for the pump a while back... I have decided after taping it to the frame in place, that I like to open air at each end so I now need help with ideas for a cool central mount... I was thinking of building something on the frame AND something matching on the body of the pump that go together..... but the solution is not coming to me.... there will be "lugs" at those frame joins when I design them so I might need to blend with them? The stepped wedding cake look is becoming a theme... like the steering clamp.... so maybe some hit of that??
P1080056.JPG
P1070993.JPG

That's funny, I had suggested "powerful magnets" as a joke to my girlfriend earlier today along with using dried and stretched monkey upper intestine, cushion of air and finely sanded crystal rods,... as it happens it turns out I am all out of quality monkey parts at the moment so that idea was a bust.... BACK to the drawing board...

I think somewhere in the transition from Path Racer to Art Deco Roadster the missed the need for a Gentleman's roadster to have a front brake.... so I thought about it today and I have decided to buy/make a rod operated pull up brake on the front wheel only. Rear has coaster brake... so to that end I went on ebay and bought a cool looking hand lever that mounts on the stem! Still looking for the rest of the brake parts (the more art deco the better) that I can either modify to fit or build from scratch.... I think it will add to the interest to the front end....
br s-l1600.jpg
br s-l16001.jpg
br s-l16003.jpg
br s-l16005.jpg

How do you keep discovering "Next Levels" on this bike? Too awesome
Oh that's easy.... to much time on my hands, a vivid imagination and precious little touch with reality.

Looks like I am going to make my own front rod brake "stirrup" to suit the bike as I have not seen any that I like. I will buy some new brake shoes and built it up from there. I also have another set of forks coming this week to try and see if they will work.... funky Humber forks!
Spend some time making the metal ends for the triangle wooden pedals... more cutting and grinding tomorrow.
106967879_317022919685742_5012844682824695341_n.jpg

Another funky front brake is the German style "Stempel Bremse" that acts on the front tire, but the action is opposite of your Phillips.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...qAhVIJTQIHfeVC-AQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1097&bih=535Maybe fab up the stirrup from three rods to match your handlebars? For style, maybe match the fork? From bitter personal experience, make sure you use the good brake pads from Fibrax or find some KoolStop pads that will fit. The grey Asian pads for rod brakes do not stop-or slow you down-very well at all.

Another funky front brake is the German style "Stempel Bremse" that acts on the front tire, but the action is opposite of your Phillips.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf...qAhVIJTQIHfeVC-AQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1097&bih=535Maybe fab up the stirrup from three rods to match your handlebars? For style, maybe match the fork? From bitter personal experience, make sure you use the good brake pads from Fibrax or find some KoolStop pads that will fit. The grey Asian pads for rod brakes do not stop-or slow you down-very well at all.
Spoon brake! Yes they are cool looking, and would have been an option of I didn't already have the front fender in place. I have some cheap Chinese brake pads I am picking up tomorrow.... BUT I also have a nicer set on the way from France...

Oh it will NEVER end...... had a mate looking at the bike last night in person and he asked "so,.... are you going to make a cool Art Deco style rear luggage rack?"......... bloody heck.... I was NOT going to make one.... but the more I think about it, a Gentleman's Roadster should have that..... and done right it will add to the look not take away from it..... Smaller rack mounted on the top of the fender maybe? Maybe with slightly raised sides? This is a nearest I can find in concept so far... Leather pannier bags next????
ra 109923591_914117065739911_7772048265075499542_o.jpg
NAHBS-2019-Day04-38.jpg

Last edited:
"New" forks arrive and I think they look great... but they need extending as they are from a 26 inch wheeled bike... So I have made an aluminium template and I will grind out a couple of pieces tomorrow from 5mm steel plate and extend the round bracing over the join to make it strong. I have followed the curve of the forks with the new bit the keep it looking the part. As a side note this bike now has a 51 inch wheelbase and the overall length from rear reflector to front tyre is now a huge 6 foot 9 inches!!! Or for anyone who thinks in metres that's 2.047 metres.
108676870_763568707747105_2673122131441385037_n.png
107852261_607945560106769_3929148581037662509_n.png
107815812_606062140307166_873280342818703210_n.png

Last edited:
Made some progress with the trims for the wooden triangle pedals also... made the end trims and corner trims, but yet to make the two trims that will go on each face or drill the holes for the wooden slot screws to go in.
108841739_727013104758880_9166138446386923274_n.jpg
108862992_267804711185379_7278792601623684903_n.jpg
108664010_674977089899218_2706618689218121428_n.png

Last edited:
Very cool double legged forks, and the pedal art is wicked.

Quite pissed off tonight. I can't get hold of the guy in Germany I bought the Adler chain wheel off.... I have been trying for some time, I think he might have taken my money and run. Not so worried about the money, but I wanted the .... part!!! ARRRRRRRRRG! I think I will have to look into making my own front sprocket now. It will be water jet cut to my design.... skip tooth and 22 teeth. Even if I got the Adler part I think the bad vibes it would bring is something I don't want on a bike that is supposed to be fun. Just annoyed.

One of my project bikes has an art deco hub that would look sweet on this build. There is a skiptooth version of it on Ebay at the moment - Ebay Hub
They are cool and if it was earlier in the project I would get one but I have my rim (40 Spoke), hub and spokes already sorted, so it would cost to much to change all the bits to match the hub.

Well good news! After many eBay messages, direct emails, Facebook messages and finally filing an eBay complaint I heard back from the seller of the Adler chain wheel. He sent a short message with no explanation or "sorry" and he is going to post it Monday to a fellow bicycle friend in the Netherlands who can post it to me in NZ, (thanks Richard!). :)

I have made some more progress. Bought two matching Diamond brand skip tooth chains so I can make up one really long one... and a 9 tooth skip tooth rear sprocket that are on there way from the USA. Plus my front brake lever arrived from the UK in record virus time of only 9 days! Almost back to normal.
I have a new mockup to show.... changes are... Humber duplex forks have been lengthened and fitted, chain guard made smaller and shaped and a brass quarter round trim made to fit that will be chromed. Stand in chain wheel of the correct 44 teeth fitted to get the size of the guard right... One pedal sitting in place, front brake hand lever mounted and a mockup of a possible rear carrier in place as well as some ideas for fender mounts.... handlebars are just stand ins but I have started working on the wire bars again tonight. The cookie tin inside the seat springs will get covered in leather and become a little tool box. I am still not sure about the carrier idea... thoughts?
P1080092.JPG
P1080084.JPG
P1080085.JPG
P1080086.JPG
P1080093.JPG
P1080091.JPG
P1080095.JPG
P1080092.JPG

Made a bunch of progress in the past few days..... the laminated oak hand grips are coming together.... first photo is the hand grip turned to size (for yellow leather lace to be wrapped around) and the inner "cap" started. Then the finished caps ready for chroming.... and the other outer end shaped with four sides... will make a chromed steel "square" on the ends to finish them off.
P1080100.JPG
P1080133.JPG
P1080125.JPG

Latest posts

Back