Odd seatpost size?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm restoring an old Huffy tandem.
the seatpost hole measures about an inch, but a 1" seatpost just won't go in very far without getting jammed. I cleaned up the bore with a brake cylinder hone, but still no dice.
Was there ever a 15/16" seatpost?

Not all my 1" posts measure and fit exactly like the others (these are bicycles, after all, and the tolerance level seems rather generous). As said, stick different things in until you find something that fits like a seatpost should (too loose is bad), and check it for the depth you need too. Often they are out of round at the top, too.
If worse comes to worse, you can 'whittle' a broom handle or dowel to fit so you can get a measurement. Anybody with a lathe can easily make you a seatpost if it turns out to be a problem (if you dont know somebody, start asking around, it is a good thing to know; maybe even go the local high school shop teacher or tech school, they might be able to make it a 'special project' for a student).

Latest posts

Back