OCC Stingray "Blue on Black"

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by josh_from_ga, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Outlaw90

Outlaw90

0   0   0

that looks really nice man :D
  2. kingfish254

kingfish254 Let's Ride Clyde! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Beautiful bike man!!! That tire was worth the effort!!
  3. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

thanks, schwinnray and outlaw90. it's not done though. now that i have a 5speed freewheel, it needs a derailleur.
    thanks! it sucks that i have to take it back off to replace the broken spoke nipple. if you get a motorcycle tire for yours, I'd recommend replacing the freewheel. it'll be much easier to get enough chain clearance. you'll probably need to add an extra nut on each side to keep the dropouts off of it though. and if you have a few extra, you can do what Funky Stickman did and make your own custom freewheel. http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21127 I might do this on mine to get better gear ratios. by the way, how was the Craft Brew Fest?
  4. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

The Craft Brew Fest was awesome!!! Especially since I got in for free so they could display BEER RUN. I posted photos in my BEER RUN Build Off thread. There were over 4000 people and BEER RUN was a big time hit.
  5. Outlaw90

Outlaw90

0   0   0

dude i love that motorcycle tire!
  6. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks! right now there are several builds with them on here. you should check out OUTLAW's El Grande build: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31683

small update on BoB's evolution. I have a rear derailleur installed, replaced the broken spoke nipple, filed the chainring narrow enough to fit the 3/32" chain, made another chain, and straightened the rim fairly well. i'm gonna see what a 26" front wheel looks like, if i like the size I'll get a fat tire to go on it. pics after i get the shifter put on, probably tomorrow. and, i might have found some higher handlebars if i can cut and bend them properly.
  7. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Check out the tire mounting jig I made for Fugsley with a little redneck engineering. The second side of the the tire popped on in less than 2-3 minutes with no tools at all!

[​IMG]
  8. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

that's pretty cool. i may have to figure out a version of that if i build up another of these bikes. I know a few people who seem interested
  9. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

I am looking forward to seeing the work you are doing around chain clearance. Part of the fun of this site is feeding off of each other's work.
    I wasn't too far from you today. I drove down to the Brunswick exit to deliver the 1976 Mossberg BMX that I sold to a guy in JAX. While there, I ate at Willie's WEE-NEE Wagon - Home of the Best Boneless Pork Chop Sandwich in the World. Good stuff.
  10. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

cool. my sister lives in brunswick and her family loves that place. about the chain clearance, if you can find and put on a 5speed freewheel you'll be good to go. it can be a difficult process.
  11. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

I have plenty of freewheels. Did you have to spread the rear frame a bit for it to fit? Are you using the deraileur as well?
  12. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Yeah, just a bit. i added a washer and nut to each side of the axle, so that the frame would just clear the freewheel. and i'm using a derailleur, well, i will be once i install the shifter. however, i had to move the axle to the drive-train side enough to be able to put the nut on over the derailleur. i seriously doubt I'll be able to use more than two of the gears and still clear the tire. the wheel is centered on the frame still.
  13. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

YEEHAW! Tomorrow I go pick up two OCC Stingrays, one large and one small, from hinesville. I cant wait! Thanks so much for passing this deal on to me, kingfish. $20 each, sooo cool. The adult one I'll be fixing up for my girlfriend, the little one will probably make it's way to a new home for (hopefully) a profit. I'll have fun with them either way.
    No shifter on BoB yet, gotta go to the river and scavenge for labor day leftovers. ya never know what folks who've had a few too beers wil leave behind. normally trash and extra beer, but I picked up a nice tent one year. just needed a new pole. happy building,
    Josh
  14. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

having an idea for BoB. drilling through the front forks to put some side-pull brake mounts there. Has anyone done this type of thing, and would it be strong enough to work? I don't want to mess him up for no reason.
  15. Fireproof

Fireproof

0   0   0

Smack dab in the middle of the "land of fruits & n
    Some of the OCC choppers were equiped form the factory with front brakes . . . are you thinking of doing something different?
    Should be easy enough to braze on some posts. :wink:
  16. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

if i had the equipment or skill-set i would. I've never learned how. but my baby brother is buying a welder soon, and he's promised to teach me.
  17. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Got the new bikes! be expecting another build soon, though this one will be a little low-key, as my girlfriend wants it to stay closer to stock.
  18. OUTLAW

OUTLAW

0   0   0

nice work on Bob. the tire looks good. my el grande build is dead. we are building a remake of it only in a different style and with a motor only in it. see bikes with motor builds, it's under El Thunder. got a mig yesterday so we are now ready to weld this baddd boy up. good luck on the other 2 new builds.

Outlaw 8)
  19. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Josh, can you post some closer photos of the brakes on BoB?
    Fugsley is totally ridable now, but I need to work on the brakes.
    Thanks!!
  20. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Yo Josh, Haven't seen anything from you lately. Did you ever do anything with the other OCC's??