OCC Stingray "Blue on Black"

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by josh_from_ga, Aug 21, 2011.

1. kingfish254

kingfish254 Check out the 30+ Items in my FOR SALE thread! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

I like what you did with the pipe bender on the handlebars. I missed that the first time around.
    What type of bender did you use? One of the conduit benders with the long grab pole or one of the hydraulic jack type?

2. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

thanks, Pablo. paint's the easiest way to breathe new life into a ride.
    thanks for the link, kingfish. i would love a 3speed hub. here's a link in return, http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/1490/24x4.0-Blk-Frt-SuperFat-CP/ . this is the wheel I wish i could afford, with the 3speed hub and disc brake.
    yeah, i just used a conduit bender. my original idea was to bend my own ape-hangers, but the bend radius was too large so i scrapped that idea. if i can find a bender with a smaller bend i will give it another try; the bars came out fairly even for a first-timer.

3. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

by the end of the weekend i will have the seat recovered. because of the new shape, i'll have to sew 2 pieces of vinyl together. if i can knock the rust off my sewing skills, i may even throw on something a little special. :idea:
    ...now, where is that blue thread?...

4. Fireproof

Fireproof

0   0   0

Smack dab in the middle of the "land of fruits & n
    Lookin' GOOD Josh! 8)
    Interested to see what you do with yer seat cover.
    We ran into the same situation with the scratch-built seat for my daughter's O.C.C. chopper. I don't think I can handle it, so we are going to turn it over to a pro. :wink:

5. Mugen_Stumpo

Mugen_Stumpo

0   0   0

super nice!!!!

i love the bended bmx bars

6. Jake Sensi

Jake Sensi

0   0   0

SEE THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!! NICE COLOR COMBO!! I'M REDOING MINE CUZ I'M TIRED OF THE BLACK. LUCKILY IT'S JUST BLACK PRIMED SO I WANT A PHAT COLOR . THE OTHER ONE I HAVE IS BRAND NEW AND I'M THINKING OF DOING SOMETHING TO IT. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! MAYBE TOGETHER WE CAN SAVE SOME OF THESE BIKES HIDES :wink: DID YOU SEE THE SEAT FROM THE OCC ON MY BIKE RETRO RAT-O ?!? STAY KOOL AND ...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

7. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

maybe I should've went to a pro for the seat cover, fireproof. It's finished, and I'll put up some pics later, but the cover did not come out nice. It's wrinkled around the top and bottom edge, and the stitching is very uneven across the center seam. I had to sew with the presser foot up because the vinyl gripped the foot. later last night I was going through my box of attachments for the sewing machine and found a foot with rollers! It would have worked perfect. oh well, if I get my hands on some leather... oohh, I got a floor-length trench from my best friend. he was throwing it away, and its really nice leather. think it would do for a seat? i work at a sewing factory, I'm sure one of the ladies out there can hook me up.

8. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

two awesome developments in the works. after seeing outlaw's "El Grande" build I knew I had to try to find a motorcycle tire for BoB. i remembered that my roommate and I gave 4 motorcycles to a local shop earlier this year. after stopping by and explaining what i wanted to do, the owner's son said i can come back tomorrow and see what used tires he had. He seemed pretty interested in what i have planned. since they have to pay to dispose of them, he will be more than happy to give me a pair.
    also, one of my coworkers says she will make my new seat cover and i can pay her back when i can afford it. I'm pretty stoked about that too!

9. Fireproof

Fireproof

0   0   0

Smack dab in the middle of the "land of fruits & n
    From what I was told by someone that did it, a Harley-Davidson 16" tire can be fitted to the O.C.C. wheel with some effort. I think I was told that the original Schwinn fender mount will need to be removed from the frame. Also, there is a difference between an H.D. front tire and a rear one . . . you might want to see if one is lighter in weight than the other.

Did you see the seat pan we made for our project? I'm thinking the cover for our seat will need to be in three sections . . . one for the top and one for each side "skirt".

10. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I don't know what it came off of, fireproof, but the shop owner gave me two 130/90-16 tires. one is a Michelin Hi-tour, the one i put on BoB is a Dunlop d404f. the brakes are now useless, and i had to lengthen the chain to keep it from hitting the fender mount. the tire barely misses the chain. whoever told you "some effort" wasn't kidding! It fought me every inch of the way. i like its new stance, though.
    that seat is gonna be so cool. The rest of the bike already is. It's great that you have a child as into bike-building as you, and amazingly talented. while I'm still having my seat recovered, it will probly get swapped for a banana seat, if thats whats on the occ that my girlfriend's dad is looking into getting for her.
    Pics of the new tire and the unfinished seat tomorrow

11. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

ok, a day late but it's alright. after spending most of the afternoon brainstorming, i came up with a solution to my bike woes. i cut the fender mount off so the wheel fit further on, and i made brake arm extensions by hose clamping two arms together. this weekend i will test them out.
    the new brake arm:
    [​IMG]
    PHOT0001 by georgia_boy_da_freek, on Flickr
    placed on the bike:
    [​IMG]
    PHOT0003 by georgia_boy_da_freek, on Flickr
    a slightly better view of the new tire:
    [​IMG]
    PHOT0002 by georgia_boy_da_freek, on Flickr

12. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

HOLY NASTY FAT NASTY BATMAN!!!!
    I love that tire!!!!!
    Did you already post the details on that tire!!! I want a couple and I am sure that yoothgeye will too!

You may need a second clamp on that brake.

MO FATTA MO BETTA!!!!!!

13. PabloAntonio

PabloAntonio

0   0   0

OCC Stingray "Blue on Black"

I second kingfish's suggestion with the second clamp. A single attachment point will become a fulcrum.

That's a big, nasty tire. Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Is the chain going to clear the tire with the standard OCC BB and crank?
    I am very curious. I REALLLLLLLLY want to get two of these beastie tires for FUGSLEY!!!!
    Please let me know how the chain cleaance is!!

15. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

quick reply, i think the brake should hold; the bracket on the add-on where the brake pad was is 3 times as wide as the hose clamp and its flush against the other arm. the tire is just a used motorcycle tire, 130/90-16. be warned, it took more than a little effort to get it on. I'll let yall know about the clearance after i reassemble and test-ride it.

16. OUTLAW

OUTLAW

0   0   0

yeah, mine was a little hard to mount too but only about 20 mins.. but then I 've been mounting tires for awhile, if I didn't have some experience I think it would of taken alot more time, but the efford was worth it. look at El Thunder in the motor builds.

Outlaw :)

17. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

ok, took BoB to waffle house this evening. brakes worked ok, and the chain brushed in one spot on the tire. Once i adjust the spokes that should eliminate the problem. the wheel may be slightly off-center; or my eyes could be messing with me.
    It took a lot of adjusting to make everything work, but it was worth it. two people mistook BoB for a small motorcycle, a little boy and an older man. :D I think I'll take him down to the shop where i got the tires to show them what they made possible. Really big thanks to Stively's ATV and Motorcycle Repair.

18. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

BoB now has a 5 speed freewheel! *insert mad scientist cackle*

19. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

there's plenty of chain clearance now. the original freewheel is ruined,it had nowhere to put any removal tools so i carefully ground down two sides of it and put it in my bench-vice.
    and after a little more adjusting, the brakes work better. unfortunately there's a broken spoke nipple, so all the hard work of mounting the tire has to be redone.
    the 5speed:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0058 by georgia_boy_da_freek, on Flickr
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0057 by georgia_boy_da_freek, on Flickr
    BoB, as he is now:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0059 by georgia_boy_da_freek, on Flickr
    and this is Freud. she's my friend:
    [​IMG]
    IMG_0056 by georgia_boy_da_freek, on Flickr

20. SCHWINNRAY69