OCC Stingray "Blue on Black"

Discussion in 'BUILDS' started by josh_from_ga, Aug 21, 2011.

1. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Several months ago, I bought this OCC Stingray at a yard-sale for $45.
    [​IMG]
    I immediately replaced the handlebars with an old set of bmx bars.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    after a little while, I decided I wasn't satisfied with the bike as-is. It needs a new paint job and a more comfortable seat. Pics of that when the weather here clears and i can actually start spraying.
  2. FunkyStickman

FunkyStickman

0   0   0

Cool deal, looks just like the one I used for my RRBBO build. I like the bars!
  3. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

They look a bit different now after I attacked them with a pipe bender. Pics after I'm able to paint. yours is an awesome bike, btw. do you still have it?
  4. FunkyStickman

FunkyStickman

0   0   0

Can't wait to see pics of the bars! And yes, I still have the OCC chopper. I'm going to convert it to a singlespeed for my 13-year old daughter to cruise around the neighborhood on. I have evil rat rod plans for the 8-speed rear wheel... LOL!
  5. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

most of the painting is done now. I will definitely finish and take photos tomorrow of the painted pieces. once it all dries, reassembly!
    I'd post pics of what i have done, but since my computer doesn't recognize my camera, i have to pull the SD card, put it in my camcorder, set it properly, put on Flickr, bleh. more than i want to deal with when I'm already up too late. but be on the lookout tomorrow for a visual update.
  6. kingfish254

kingfish254 If it ain't FUN, it ain't worth it! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Looking forward to the pics of the paint and bars.
  7. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As promised, here's some pics of the OCC mid-build. this was the first time i disassembled a bicycle with these front forks, and wouldn't it be my luck that one of the allen bolts holding it together was jacked up. anyways, here's the photos.
    front forks before and after:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the frame so far:
    [​IMG]
    and the rear fender:
    [​IMG]
    I decided i didn't like the chain-guard so i removed it and all it's supports. the front fender supports were too rusted and had the cheesy foot rests, so i left them and that fender off as well. tomorrow i should have the bike reassembled except for the seat, it needs recovered and I'm not sure how i should do that. oh well, that's a problem for another day. tomorrow I'll have up pics of the wheels and handlebars.
    As always, thanks for the support and positivity!
    Josh
  8. FatBoy

FatBoy

0   0   0

Looking good!I like these bikes I streched one of these on my Hooligan build and I love it.I like the colors you went with its going to be sweet!
  9. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Nice paint! Looking good.
  10. Jake Sensi

Jake Sensi

0   0   0

NOW THAT'S HOTT!! SEE YA CWAZY WRATTERS HOW GOOD THEY CAN LOOK NOT CHOPPED UP!! WHY I OUGHTA...GET BACK TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE
  11. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks, FatBoy! I wanted to make some rear dropout extensions, but i cant find any usable scrap steel. Hooligan is a great-looking ride.
    Thanks to kingfish and JAKE as well. it's the positive nature of the folks here that convinced me to join.
    And I'm so excited! My girlfriend's dad runs a antique store, so he travels the country finding valuable stuff to resell. He's gonna start looking for more OCCs for me. my gf wants one done in sparkly purple so we can ride together!
  12. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

At last, I have "Blue on Black" (BoB for short) reassembled. I painted the wheels to match the fender, which looks nice and keeps them in sync with the BoB theme.the last thing that needs done is recovering the seat. BoB's stock seat was uncomfortable, so i cut down the foam til i hit on a shape my backside approved of. I haven't sewn anything in a while, hope my skills haven't gotten too rusty.
    BoB, without the seat.
    [​IMG]
    with the seat:
    [​IMG]
    The wheels, sorta closeup:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    and a top-down view of the handlebars after i took my tubing bender to it. Here ya go, Stickman:
    [​IMG]

There's still a few things i need to do to BoB, such as straighten the front forks,set up the brakes, and recover the seat, but he is basically ready for service. I'm looking forward to my weekly Waffle House run. gonna show it off a bit. As time goes on he will probably evolve as my tools and skills get upgraded. Thanks for all the inspiration!
  13. KOTA

KOTA

0   0   0

Great choice on the colors! And nice job painting. I did a mini version (Little Ray) for my grandson. You're right, forks were sort of a "pain" to take a part.
  14. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks, Kota. i spent hours taping off the spokes since i'm no great shakes at lacing wheels. It was worth the effort though.
    Little ray is pretty much what i want to get for my nephews.
  15. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Josh, that is looking sharp. Great paint job. There is a trick of using straws to cover the spokes that would have saved you some time. I think you can find details in the How To forum.

I just got back from picking up two OCC StingRays in Jacksonville for a grand total of $50.
  16. SCHWINNRAY69

SCHWINNRAY69

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

17. josh_from_ga

josh_from_ga

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Aww, I guess I should start lurking in the how-tos more often. well I'll know for the next one. did you find the bikes on craigslist?

Thanks,Schwinnray!
  18. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

I found both of the Stingrays on CL in JAX. Both were listed for $50 each, but I talked one guy down to $20 and the other down to $30. The guy with the $20 one even met me at the other one's business, so I only had to go to one place. I was only parked in JAX for about 20 minutes before I was back on the road to Savannah.
  19. PabloAntonio

PabloAntonio

0   0   0

OCC Stingray "Blue on Black"

Great color choices, Josh! Ain't it cool how much life you can spray onto an old, rusty frame?

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. kingfish254

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

Josh, take a look at the photo in this thread. It looks like made a 3 speed version of the OCC Stingray?!!!http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=44555&p=435892#p435892

Man, I would love to find one of those rear wheels!!!!!

Here is one of these new out of the box
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bik/2504938168.html