Nuthin' Special - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalchewy

For the love of the Ride 🚲 🔥
Pro Member
Reaction score

6bbccd1df833a1675725bd63f243a445.jpg

________________------------

Been soo busy for the last few months, havent had much time to do much of anything. But work for work, or work for the yard, been getting it done.. Took out a tree, re-did about 1200 square ft of lawn and irrigation, etc. Still got planters to do, Its hot now, during the day, gotta play once in awhile, and let the passions thru.

Well, last week, I met up with Kenny, a local pre war guy member on the site as well. ;-) and picked up a '39 cwc frame and some pieces from him. The frame, that I've seen in a few different ownership on the site looking back in history. Lots texture to this paint, my assumption is it covers rust.

The current mockup is coming along nicely, it should be rideable in the morning. Will tear it back down later this week.

Being a builder at heart. Cars, bikes, computer programs and systems, as well as the chef around the house. I like building and putting pieces together and making something I can enjoy.

I wasn't sure if I was going to enter the build off or not... but after looking cutting, trimming down bushings and screws for the axle tensioning

Welding together my first lucky 7, (next one needs a slightly sharper angle), the drive to get this thing completed has HIT.

As the guy at the bike store says, "its a sickness". I gotta agree.

Now its started, I gotta get it built. ;-)

Last edited:
I hear you have the same problem,if I don't start now,I will have to pull out of the build...
Your much further along and looks like a excellent starting point.

I love the sweeping arc of the backbone of that frame.
Great starting point for sure!

Thx Kingfish,

I rode it about 8 miles on Sunday and a bit yesterday to see how well I had geared it. See what loostens up. That half link chain I put on didnt give one bit of stretch. Headset is undersized for head tube, gotta replace it. Rear hub wasn't quite tight after I lubed the bearings, fixed now.

Also, the chain adjust screws aren't tight in their threads now. I had sized up some #12-24s. Seemed to fit perfect, now slightly loose. I had also picked up some tensioner bolts that were #14-24 that are the same pitch, slightly larger which didnt seem to fit... I think I need a tap to fix a couple burrs on the frame so I can use the thicker ones.

I also think I am going to rob one of my other bikes and put a 44 tooth, instead of that 48t sprocket up front.

Lastly, I picked up some more red and white paint and will smooth out and repaint the frame and forks.

Finished taking it down to bare metal.

Treated it with phosphoric acid , to convert the rust and make it non active. JASCO prep 1:3 water.

Should be ready to prime soon. Just gotta give the rust chance to powder up..

I have no clue what it was meant to be in life, it was on a random tools table. I remember seeing it in December when I bought that Indian, but he wanted $10 for it then. When I asked this time, and he said, $5. SOLD. Was like finding treasure. :)

Gonna be a nice bike buddy! Do you plan to go back red and white on the paint?

Sorry, I went back and read... Red and White:thumbsup:

Fixed the hole will see how well the patch holds up. I didnt want to make the frame brittle with the welder, and out of brass rod. Fiber backed j b weld.

Also cleaned up the chain adjust threads, perfect fit now.

Good use for the bottom of that kennel.:39:
Leather straps would do the trick to hold the tool box on.
Thin dog collars or I use the understraps from bridles.

Latest posts

Back