Not Fast Enough!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my colors picked out...Not too sure about the red... :?

IMG_0975.jpg

Now, my question is: to get the 'tri-tone' effect, should I paint the whole frame red, then lay the orange down and finish with the yellow? Or does it work just as well to paint the colors in sections, overlapping them to get the desired effect...?
Later,

bikeriderx said:
I got my colors picked out...Not too sure about the red... :?

IMG_0975.jpg

Now, my question is: to get the 'tri-tone' effect, should I paint the whole frame red, then lay the orange down and finish with the yellow? Or does it work just as well to paint the colors in sections, overlapping them to get the desired effect...?
Later,

My experience is to paint the lighter color first, in this case yellow, then 'fade in' the orange and then the red.
You may even coat the frame in white first (white primer will work), this will make the colors brighter.

Can't wait to see it!

Got the bike painted today. I took it to work and painted it in our boiler room...I guess the whole process took about 3 hours...Barring any snafu's I should be on target to make the deadline!

Here's a pic of my rigged-up painting stand. It worked great!

IMG_1001.jpg

Here I go!

IMG_1004.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

I started with yellow:

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

Then orange:

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Not bad for a first timer!! imho :roll:

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

Finally red:

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1017.jpg

So no-touch for at least 9 hours and then I'll fix a few sags...Then clearcoat and final assembly... :D

Thanks! I can't wait for the paint to cure so I can start putting it back together... :mrgreen:

Thanks!! I'm planning on bringing it home this afternoon. I O.A. diped the chainring (which I 'borrowed' from my son's '79 Hurricane :wink: ) and started the front wheel last night. Man, I love that stuff!! :shock: No more steel wool for me!! Thanks again!

bikeriderx said:
Thanks!! I'm planning on bringing it home this afternoon. I O.A. diped the chainring (which I 'borrowed' from my son's '79 Hurricane :wink: ) and started the front wheel last night. Man, I love that stuff!! :shock: No more steel wool for me!! Thanks again!

Ok I missed something here O.A. Dipped?? fill me in cause what ever it is it sounds like less work.....for me...
Terry

jezusjonz said:
bikeriderx said:

Ok I missed something here O.A. Dipped?? fill me in cause what ever it is it sounds like less work.....for me...
Terry
DUDE!!! Oxalic acid solution is the BOMB!! You will not believe how this stuff cleans chrome!! :shock: Check out another of my threads:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19528&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
The pics do NOT do justice to what this stuff can do...Buy some and try it. You'll never use steel wool again!! imho :D

Thanks X I have a Huffy Good Vibrations that was given to me along with a few other classic bikes that need a good rust removal. The Huffy came out great all but the front wheel. So I will have to go out and get some very soon like tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.
Terry

awesome! are minors allowed to buy it, cuz i know some cleaning things minors arent allowed to buy, since this is an acid.

stretch said:
awesome! are minors allowed to buy it, cuz i know some cleaning things minors arent allowed to buy, since this is an acid.
I don't know...If you buy the stuff in the picture, that's in a crystal form and is added to water to make the solution. I suppose you'll just have to try! :mrgreen: But I can't imagine that you'll get any hassle...Good luck!

Just one and I went there and at least they knew what I was looking for but they had none...said they didnt sell but maybe one thing of it a year so it probably got pulled. just my luck....I found 2 lb thing of it for 6 bucks plus 5 shipping that IM bidding on and if the bid gets over 11 they throw in an extra pound...
thanks again for the info and thread on it. I found an old girls schwinn for 20 bucks that has a gorgeous set of chrome front forks on it that I wouldnt even consider till now.
Terry....
any new pic's yet??

Latest posts

Back