Noob Tire Question. 26x1.75

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjperry81

Gem City Strongman
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is my first build and im planning on using the factory rims that came on my 50's Evans. The tires on it appear to be original goodyears or at least very old. The size is 26x1.75 am I stuck with that tire size or is there some give in that size. Im trying to find white tires for it but havent seen any 1.75 yet. I just wondered if there is some grace in either direction on tire size or is it a one size only type thing. Thanks.

Since you listed a decimal of 26x1.75, you should be able to use a 26x2.125 assuming it will fit in the frame.

If the size is listed as decimal (not fractional, like 26 1-3/4), then pretty much any other decimal-sized 26" tire fit on the wheel. This includes mountain bike tires, some hybrids, etc. Your limitation comes from, as cman indictated, if the tire will fit within the frame. But I'd bet that most anything out of the '50s would allow a 2.125 (or maybe wider) as middleweight sizes such as the 1.75 didn't become prominent until the '60s. Your mileage may vary, of course. If the size is fractional, however, then you're dealing with an entirely different rim size.

So if you have a 24 x 1 3/8 tire are you stuck with that size? It's off of a girls Free Spirit bike. I want to put wider tires on it.

Yep, you're stuck with that size cuz its a 540mm BCD tire (from memory, hope that's correct).

Drats! Paid $20 for the bike for the 24" wheels. Guess I will have to strip it for parts now. Any better luck with a 24" mtb wheel. I want to fatten my ride up a bit.

If the 24" rim had a 24 x 1.75, then it will take a fatter tire like a 24 x 2.125. The 24 x 1 3/8 is narrower and has a tiny bit more diameter, so only the skinny 1 3/8 will work. Same goes for 26". I've put 1.75 rims and 1.75 tires on a frame that was made for 1 3/8 tires and they fit, but not any wider. If it has hand brakes, the pads may not reach the smaller rims, coaster brakes are the way to go.

Turtlesixfour said:
Drats! Paid $20 for the bike for the 24" wheels. Guess I will have to strip it for parts now. Any better luck with a 24" mtb wheel. I want to fatten my ride up a bit.

24" MTB wheels are 507 mm, which is the same as 24" cruiser - both old bikes (non-Schwinn, of course) and BMX varieties. There are some choices in that range, but not that many. I did, however, put 24" BMX tires on my nephew's 24" mountain bike, and I put his old MTB tires on a 24" Sears girls bike that was Columbia-built. So that much at least interchanges.

I've got a spreadsheet that I wrote that outlines multiple different tire sizes and how they compare. I'd post it if there was a way, but I'm not sure how I would do that.

Latest posts

Back