Noob Fork Removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjperry81

Gem City Strongman
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my first project bike yesterday. 50's Evans. So im breaking it down today. I get to the fork and I cant figure it out. The handle bars are out...so at this point its the (pardon my lack of terminalogy) giant nut on top,then a front book rack piece, and then a giant washer looking thing with groves in it like a coin. I cant get it off. The book rack and front fender are still attached seeing as the fender bolt is rusted from the bottom side under the fork. So ive got all this flimsy metal bending and swinging around all the while im doing this. Can any one give me some advice. Thanks

CP

Hi I would get the fender out of my way first if I it was problematic. a large socket works best on top it maybe 30 millimeters . taking a little extra time with rust and using liquid wrench for instance helps lucent stuck parts. a little tapping on the wrenches and vibrating as such will help break the rust free.

There is no exterior rust on it but im sure there is some on the inside so I will hammer it with some WD. Do you think that using a wrench is just gonna waste my time and ruin the nut? Am I better off just trying to hunt down a 30mil socket first? Oh and as for the fender should I just cut the screw head off or is that dumb because I will have to tap a new hole? Thanks for the advice.

Well for instance the 30 millimeter open end wrenches that bike shops sell ar.e very thin so I would only give those a light hand effort. a box end wrench would be better but costly. I bought a 30 millimeter socket from napa 2 days ago they have them on clearance sale 6 bucks. It should come free just don't force it right away. the fendor screw won't be too bad or disasterous either way. perhaps if you just grind off the head of the bolt that will leave a stud which you could grab with vice grips.

" the handlebars are out" ? Is the complete handle bar stem and wedge that goes inside the fork steer tube removed ? Do you have the large nut on top removed yet ? " the large washer with a coin like edge is a nut too. Righty tighty, lefty loosey?

Based on what I interpreted from your post, first, is your front tire still on? if so, leave it for now, as it will make the large nut on top easier to remove. If you have already removed it, no sweat. All I use on mine is a soft pine 2 x 4 x 2' to act as a wedge. I use a 12 inch crescent and the two by wedged in between the forks to get the top nut loose. If the nut doesn't come loose fairly easy, apply wd-40, You may have to do this a few times. I had one that took a week of setting on the porch with twice daily applications of wd-40 to get a stem bolt loose. However, that bike was a pile of rust. once the nut is off, the "book rack" (front rack?) can then be removed. The washer that looks like a coin is actually your bearing cone. You'll understand the term once you get it off. under that are your neck upper bearing set. pull that out and the fork should slide out from below with the lower set of bearings. Now with the fork out, getting to the fender to remove it will be much easier. Good luck.

cjperry81 said:
So I bought my first project bike yesterday. 50's Evans. So im breaking it down today. I get to the fork and I cant figure it out. The handle bars are out...so at this point its the (pardon my lack of terminalogy) giant nut on top,then a front book rack piece, and then a giant washer looking thing with groves in it like a coin. I cant get it off. The book rack and front fender are still attached seeing as the fender bolt is rusted from the bottom side under the fork. So ive got all this flimsy metal bending and swinging around all the while im doing this. Can any one give me some advice. Thanks

CP

It would help if you post some pictures

picsoritdidnthappen.jpg

Latest posts

Back