NonGoose 26 BMX project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice!!! still plenty of time to get it dialed in & detailed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well yeah, that would have been cool but we already made them. :) I'll post pics when I have them on the bike and as others materialize if I can get pictures of them I'll post them up here. I have seen one other Yellow built up and an orange one, blue one x2, and one being nickel plated is in the mix....

In general the tri moly frames has so so welding on them, whereas the full cr-mo frames had much better welding.
Your work is awesome!!
The problem with the Moto Mag frame and many early BMX specific frames were that they were designed to be used with 46/18 tooth gearing and shorter 167/170mm crank arms, and much larger diameter rear gear that would keep the chain away from the chain stay. but in time when the flip flop hub became popular and our crank arms became longer (170mm to 175/180mm) our gearing went from 46/18 to 44/16 because of the longer crank arm with the theory at the time was to change the gearing to a more respectable size to counter act the longer stroke of the crank to enable the rider get the bike rolling. So when we would run race gearing with flip flop hubs 44/14 a smaller diameter rear gear made the chain come unbelievably close to the chain stay, and usually ended up rubbing through the chain stay over time, just from natural chain slap. Have you ever thought of doing side work repairing old BMX frames? We used to have the chain hole welded and re ground, a cheap fix but somewhat nasty looking. Changing the whole tube, I think you would do a awesome job. Just an idea to save older frames from the scrap yard. Very nice work and build!!

I've done a fair amount off frame repair in the past and will keep doing so! If you look at my bike build off bike, the double trouble fire road cruiser you'll see that the making of these frames really helped me become a better welder! :)

Latest posts

Back