No.3 Boardtracker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm calling this one the No.3 Boardtracker because this will be version three that I have built.

Version one had three bottom brackets with chainrings as a faux-motor, a WWII brass tank shell as a tank, and draw knife handlebars.
IMG_1293_zps38fc6b12.jpg

Version two featured a custom saddle, copper tank, bars, and truss rods, and and a beautiful brown leather quiver saddle bag.
IMG_2221_zpse5f3b962.jpg

Both of those were made with two mountain bike frames. This one can't be made that way, as its main feature will be 36" Coker wheels with a three speed S/A hub. Also, because of the length needed for the fork, and the need for the legs to be 1 1/8" instead of the standard 1 1/4" that you find on triple trees, I'll need to make the forks from scratch, as well.

Given those two things, I decided that this bike will feature more fabrication than I've ever done before. Frame, forks, seat pan, tank, bars, and drop stand will all be handmade. Plus other little things. I'm also thinking that this will have a faux-motor similar to the first one, though with some updates. You may wonder why my fork legs need to be 1 1/8"? This:
IMG_3280_zpsgdmphjvq.jpg

Yes, those beautiful art deco stems from 1930s exercise bikes that I tried to make into bars for my build off bike. I'll be using them here. They clamp onto 1 1/8", so the legs had to be that size.

The first thing I decided to make was the forks, mainly because those were the most intimidating pieces for me. I cut two matching plates to use as the triple tree clamps, and welded one to a fork tube.
IMG_3424_zpsvtrlmg0k.jpg

IMG_3425_zpsomcc6ota.jpg

I then bought some 1 1/8" tubing (it was hard to find), welded fork drops on the ends, and cut them to length.
IMG_3542_zpsypzjztzk.jpg

IMG_3543_zpsjbwqwnji.jpg

IMG_3544_zpsop576vde.jpg

I'm not quite done with them, though, as I plan on fabbing some truss rods for it.

Yeah that 1 1/8" is a special order item here also. Looking forward to seeing more and don't let the fork intimidate you! They aren't that hard in reality. Bring a bike down next time you're up here, and feel free to message me when you're in town. We should meet up for a ride. My dogs a good riding partner, but sucks in the conversation department!

Just wanted to jump on here and say that this build is dead. I'm now using these wheels on a different build. I'm not even using that fork on the other build despite all the hard work on it. I'll probably use the fork and those clip-ons eventually, just not on the next one.

I'll keep the thread here, just as reference material.

Man, you come up with some cool stuff.
I start looking for a wagon to build a go cart, I find rat rod truck, which I'd love to cruise around in.
Then I stumble onto this thread, gotta see what you've got goin on now.

Latest posts

Back