Niagara Cycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently they have gone out of business. I did a quick google search and found it mentioned a few times in the results. Here's one of the links... https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1153328-niagara-cycle-apparently-bankrupt.html

The first paragraph at that link says...
"Niagara Cycle was my main supplier basic bicycle parts like 20'' tires (from 7.00 and derailleurs from 5.25 to 8,000+). However as of around Aug. 6 week their web site has been down for maintenance, and nothing comes from the phone or email. So I called a local bike shop in Niagara Falls and they said Niagara Cycle went bankrupt, owing suppliers."

Glen.

Yep. Will miss them, My brother and I would pool our wanted parts orders together to total $150 for free shipping. Great deals on tires and tubes. Bought a pile of rim strips still have a few... They were slow to ship which I thought was because we were waiting for slow ups ground shipping. Last order this Spring took weeks, complained to them and got order shipped next day air! :eek:
Weird thing is towards the end they were "out of stock" on almost everything. One of the threads I read about them is people who went to the physical address were surprised how small the place was and that they had almost no stock. Apparently they would order from suppliers and ship to customers as items arrived.:forum:

The interesting thing about these guys is that I always pointed to them when the conversation of online bike part sales would come up. I'd say...these guys are pulling it off and seem to be doing well. They had tons of parts on Amazon and I just assumed that they were making a killing off the stuff.

My friends with bike shops were always puzzled because they said that markup on bike parts was so small and they weren't sure how they were making a bunch of money unless the quantities were just insane.

Looks like my friends might have been right after all. :39:

I know, right. I have recently been looking for a roofer, and was wondering about paying money upfront. Read a post from a roofer who says there are companies that he knows are in financial difficulties who are "running 10 jobs out", which means 10 customers have paid for roofing jobs and their $ have gone to previous customers materials and labor! Some one is going to get stuck when the ponzi scheme falls apart. :eek:

I always found the shipping to be really slow for how close they were to me. But that still sucks.

RATS!!! They were the go-to parts source for me!!!
They should have raised prices to stay afloat, I’d have paid more, it wasn’t the absolute bottom dollar bargain I was after, it was the selection and availability of just about everything that I liked.

Rats.

I remember getting big bags of parts and tires from them. Their prices were the best. I thought the tires were all seconds because they were so cheap.
They should have known. For people to invest a bunch of money to get started, someone had to have had an education in business. Using the walmart idea of low prices and volume to offset the minimal profit can only work at a certain level. Simple business projections at Niagara would have shown not nearly enough profit to stay afloat, even with a large volume of sales.

Uhh. they're back?
niagara cycle now the bike shop.jpg

Niagara cycle website is now this... Does not seem to be anything in stock though.
Read a lot of on line complaints from "old" Niagara cycle, (they were good when I ordered.).
Anyone local to NY area heard any rumors about whats happening? :forum:

Just got a response to an inquiry I made this morning:

Barry
Thanks for emailing us. Niagara Cycle was acquired by The-bikeshop.com!
We are revamping everything to offer more product and better pricing..
If you need anything email or call us if you don't see it online yet..

I flip a lot of beach cruisers and always used Niagara for a big tube, tire, grip order towards the end of winter... I was wondering what I was going to do this year. I actually started ordering some stuff from ebay/china!

Glad to see they're back.

Good news (possibly)! Chances are that if I wanted a weird part, there would be two places I could find it and the other place would want a multiple of what Niagara was charging. Sometimes their shipping took a little longer, but I'm building goofy bikes not performing open heart surgery, so there is no emergency and the occasional wait's worth the savings.

While it is great to see this site making an effort to bring back the former site, it has to be much better then its current state. We have all watched major retailers fail and we deserve more then “we’re back!” Tell us why your back and how to get us back.

Last edited:
Just got a response to an inquiry I made this morning:

Barry
Thanks for emailing us. Niagara Cycle was acquired by The-bikeshop.com!
We are revamping everything to offer more product and better pricing..
If you need anything email or call us if you don't see it online yet..
Barry communicated to me yesterday that he expects the website to be 'live" next Wednesday.

Fred

Latest posts

Back