Nexus 7 stick shift??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´d like to get one or make one.
I´ve read that Nexus is pretty presice with the shifter to work right so maybe I need to buy one.
Any suggestions?

If it currently has a Shimano grip shifter, the shifter can be converted to a stick shift. There are two or three threads floating around the forum with examples from numerous people.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

iu
The Rat comes from within the heart, not the shifter.

Microshift make thumshifters for nexus/alfine that you could probably convert to a stick.

The rat comes from within the heart, not the shifter.
For me rat comes from making your stuff from what you have, not what you can buy.
Anyway, this problem is no longer. I make my own from the scrap I have.

So must be then the frame also be made by myself for the bike to be a rat? What about the fork? What about pedals? What about bearings? Chain? Cables and housings? Where do we draw a line? Or is it a headlight bracket enough for a bike to be a rat as long as the bracket is self fabricated? What about repurposing stuff? I saw quill stems used as clip-on bars. Where does this fit? :)
Also what you have on hand has usually been bought at some point - as a part of a whole bike maybe, or as a part. Also many people like to buy used parts in order to achieve a particular look or because it is cheaper. So how many self fabricated parts are required for a rat? :)
What about my daily bike, probably 20 years old diamond frame, with ahead adapter on a quill stem, dropped from 28" to 26" on knobbies (a really nasty ride, especially with the dynamo rubbing on them which makes the bell vibrate), scratched paint and some rust, bobbed 80mm wide fenders. Would that be considered a rat or a custom? :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back