Nexus 4 question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First experience with a nexus inner 4 and I have couple questions. First does it matter if I turn where the cable goes into point up the seat stay?and my nexus 3 had an adjuster and this 4 didn't when I got it does it need one? This is where I'm talking about .Thanks for your reply
20200722_184109.jpg

First experience with a nexus inner 4 and I have couple questions. First does it matter if I turn where the cable goes into point up the seat stay?and my nexus 3 had an adjuster and this 4 didn't when I got it does it need one? This is where I'm talking about .Thanks for your replyView attachment 130059
I put one of the 4 speed nexus on my Electra cruiser and had to run a much smaller front chainring being that first is 1 to 1 ratio and 2,3 and fourth are "overdrive" compared to the three speed that has 2nd as 1 to 1 and 1st is lower geared and 3rd is higher geared.
Not sure why Nexus did the four speed hubs that way?

Last edited:
I think that the hub was created for folding bikes with 20 inch wheels. That would explain the gear ratios. I swapped out the rear cog for a 23T w/26" wheel. Helps a lot with beach cruising, but would not be ideal for extended hill climbing.

I think that the hub was created for folding bikes with 20 inch wheels. That would explain the gear ratios. I swapped out the rear cog for a 23T w/26" wheel. Helps a lot with beach cruising, but would not be ideal for extended hill climbing.
That may be true,the wheels I got were from a 26" wheel beach cruiser (Trek) that had a 36T front chainring. I used a 23 rear cog with a 30T front and it was too low geared and now have a 19 rear cog and it works well for paths and trails with some hills.

The Nexus 4 is the Nexus 7 minus the 3 underdrive gears (1 to 3). Interesting it's use with 20" bikes.

Latest posts

Back