newest project restoring a Firestone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a frame for free from a friend who owns a bike shop down the block from me. Didn't bother to ask what make or model. Think it's an early 50's frame.

dadf43b05d252c58fd842bbce1b8e575.jpg

03d56b22398de9df07d69948f0f82823.jpg

Also found a pretty cool fork so I'm adding it to the build. I think it's a Cleveland Welding Company Fork.

715348791b2da0b0336c9978ed0edea2.jpg

Took it down to the bare metal, rust treated it, primed, then laid down a "sublime green" base from Roth Rattlebomb.

116e1a136c43cf21af4e5fc6c6936118.jpg

Gonna lay down a few top coats of the Roth Rattlebomb "gang green" flake on top of that.

More pictures to follow.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Looks good!
The frame is a mid-late 50's AMF, which was the offspring of Cleveland Welding Company bikes when AMF bought them and moved the factory to Arkansas. Your chain wheel is the early version is why I think it's mid-late 50's. They made that same frame well into the late 60's. Those forks will look right at home on there. They are CWC, a shockmaster springer. Also, the top of the seat tube isn't the normal kind, the original seat stem tightens like a handlebar stem, not using a collar on the top of the seat tube. So you may have a little fab work to tighten a seat stem.

Last edited:
Finished the paint job. Roth Rattle Bomb Sublime Green with Gang Green Flake and a clear coat

903ff3a64d9edfe10cafb6536d0d632b.jpg

What's your opinion of the Roth Rattle Bomb? Is it easy to work with? I've got an old fiberglass German helmet I was thinking of flaking with that stuff but I've never talked to anyone who's used it.

I've used the Roth rattle bomb paint on two projects, and I love it. I primer, lay their base paint and then their flake paint, which generally compliments the base really well. You can get a creative as you want with the color results, the color of your primer has a large effect on the final color (i.e using a black primer will create a magenta pink; using a light primer will create a rose pink). Their website does a great job in explaining what primer and base will create what color. I'm by no means an expert, but you can definitely see the quality over the box store brands.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Love the color palette, stellar build.

Latest posts

Back