newbie to the scean!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,

long time lurker 1st time poster! well i was encurraged to drop a line here and i been poking around for awhile so here goes!! ohhhh...and im just new to here, im usually over at the bmx museum, so i knwo some of yall know me already, hey all!!

i have a good friend of mine that came to me with a bike i built him a few years ago. (24 inch diamond back mr. lucky, full custom) anyways, he tells me he wants to give it back to me, and he wants me to build him a bike thats his style...and he exsplains... basically a os schwinn with some rat rod flavor to it.

so heres where the build is so far....

its a 86ish schwinn 26, with og paint. got it as a partial for 20 bux.

the fenders came from a free spirit comutor chicks bike. i picked it up for 10 bux, it also had the pearson seat on it.

the schwinn stem i had, as well as the bear trap headset.
the ape hangers i got in trade on the museum. and the wheels are from a stretched dyno. they have a 4 speed shimano rear hub with drum brakes, and its a 24 inch hoop. the front has a shimano drum brake and is a 26 inch wheel. (also a trade on the museum)

schwinn grips and wienman levers, and dice valve caps. thats as far as i got so far. lol

so, couple questions for yall....

1. how do ya get the kick stand out??

2. where can i get really long brake cables? i need 2. for rear brake, and 4 speed hub.

3. what do yall recomend for hooking that front brake arm to the fork??

4. where should i be looking for cable clamps at? specially the smaller ones for the chain stays?

5. i wanna do 3 piece cranks, what size cranks should i be looking at? 170s or 175s?? or shorter? i dont want the pedals hitting the ground when turning.

6. as for decals, i was thinking the stencil route so they would be painted on. any trick to making them look more og, and not so new spray paint on og paint look??

im sure theres more...they will come tome as i build. lol thanks for any help!
rc

Regarding front brake to fork anchor- Sturmey Archer makes their own clamp, it looks decent, the coolest I've seen is somebody on this site, can't find the picture, used a Dia Compe two piece seat post clamp, available from Pork Chop BMX, the forks you have should be one inch diameter, which is the same as the outer diameter of most seat post tubes. They put the two piece clamp on the fork and then rotated the bracket up to it, them marked and drilled a hole in the arm that aligned with one of the bolts on the two piece clamp, then used a small spacer to compensate for the difference in the offset. This looks slick! Wish I could find the picture.
Go to u-tube and look up Schwinn kickstand removal.
Cables- any good bike shop should have cables, they typically come extra long and you cut to length. I recommend Odyssey cables, they are the best!

Here's what I was talking about, but these are landing gear forks, which use bigger diameter tubing, so this builder used s seat post clamp to attach his brake arm. You can use the two piece or hinged Dia Compe sine you have 1" diameter forks.
IMG_4139.jpg

awsome video!

as a kid, we beat them off..... prolly 10 years ago i seen a simular video, but that was 10 years ago and no idea where i seen it. lol

i knew there was a easy way, for the life of me i couldnt remember what it was!!

thanks deorman

rc

brunson, i dig the s clamp thing, and i actually have a couple of the hinged ones here at the house (havent tried it yet) but what i come up with is, how to mount the brake arm to it????

wasnt sure if it was wise to drill a hole in the arm, or twist the arm for a better mount?? and will if weaken the arm under braking preasure? ( i could be over thinking it as well) i just dont want to damage the wheels...i like em, they are cool! lol

rc

Welcome to the madness :crazy:, and sweet ride.

brunson, i dig the s clamp thing, and i actually have a couple of the hinged ones here at the house (havent tried it yet) but what i come up with is, how to mount the brake arm to it????

wasnt sure if it was wise to drill a hole in the arm, or twist the arm for a better mount?? and will if weaken the arm under braking preasure? ( i could be over thinking it as well) i just dont want to damage the wheels...i like em, they are cool! lol

rc
Yes, drill s hole in the arm, then align it all up, get a longer bolt and use a spacer to take up the difference.

awesome! tyty!

im ganna do it. i have to pick up a couple nice bolts for the fenders as well. they just have brake pivot bolts holding them on for the moment.

thanks again,
rc

well, happy new years all!!

i know its been awhile... its been a mad house around here....not that it has lightened up any, but ya know! lol!!

anyways, i finally got around to doing a lil more on this build!! heres some pics.....then we will go into whats happening, lol!

P1130375.JPG
P1130376.JPG
P1130377.JPG
P1130378.JPG
P1130375.JPG
P1130376.JPG
P1130377.JPG
P1130378.JPG

sorry...think i loaded 2 times.

ok, i like how its comming together so far. i centered the speedo, i think it looks cleaner then off to the side.

also got the cranks and sprocket all in. went with a normal black chain, and then tried the chrome chain. i liked the chrome alot more. so i went with it.
im leaning towards a chain gaurd (i cant believe i actually typed that! ....!!)
what do you guys think???? chain gaurd or no chain gaurd??

i installed the schwinn rear rack, i actually used part of a odyssey brake lever to make the mount.....fastens to the seat post. it has a colapsable basket on one side....... sorry i didnt get a pic of it opened. anyways, it looks as though it can have another one on the other side.....

anyone have a beat up rack with the basket i need????? pretty please???

im still trying to source brake cables that ar elong enough...so far its looking like im going to have to go with tandem cables for the length. i have 1 for the shifter, but i still need the brake cables. i have pleanty of housing.

anyone have any tandem brake cables?? no housing is ok?? pretty please?? lol

ok, next on the list....

i picked up another comutor bike with a sturmy set up. anyways, i grabbed it for the lights. it has the front light, and rear light and the generator. its all wired up and just needs to be taken off and switched over.

questions....

do ya have to use a generator? or can ya use like a big square battery ya use for them square flash lights?

also, if ya do have to use the generator, will it cause pre- mature wear on the tires? i dont wanna jack up the tire, but i think os lights would be cool on this ride. and it would be cool if they worked.

also, is there led replacement bulbs out for these os lights now? anyone know???

oh ya, almost forgot....

i got the kick stand out, the lil bar thingy thats in the sleave that holds the kick stand....... it like just fell apart out of it. what is it called? and where do i find 1??? if anyone has 1 of those...holla at ya boy!

i hope im ding ok on this build, it feels like its comming together nicely. if yall have any aditional input. i am all ears!!

hope yall enjoy.

ps, im a very slow builder. it takes me time to find time. lol

thanks again!

Yes, drill s hole in the arm, then align it all up, get a longer bolt and use a spacer to take up the difference.

Yep. This^ :113:

I used a Dia Compe MX hinged clamp from Porkchop BMX and a spacer to reach the arm. I drilled the hole into the arm. Just make sure you get the correct diameter of your fork. Drilling a hole in the arm is fine, don't stress over that. I'd drill a hole before I bent the arm, but thats me.

index.php

F38416A3-0732-4AD8-B7FA-1CC76AD174B3.jpg

35941454-EEE5-42B0-A39F-E834BA96F5ED.jpg

Last edited:
awesome pics!

ok, i had a blue and a silver clamp like that red one. but they were to small.... also i needed to do something for the brake cable stop and adjuster for the front brakes.

i picked up a couple bolt on cable stops with the plastic bushing thingy in it to stop the cable in the clamp. i figure 1 of the styles would work for the cable stop and it did.

turns out the plastic thingy was also the perfect size for the end of the brake arm. so i put the other clamp on for the adjuster/cable stop. i will try to get some pics today.

also, my buddy ran across the basket for the other side of the rack, so i put that on as well.

i also got some tandem brake cables and now have the front and rear brakes hooked up.

i still need to do the shifter. but the bike is comming along. it will be able to leave my living room soon! lol

thanks for the help.

any ideas on the lighting?? would love to use a battery instead of the generator.

rc

Latest posts

Back