Newbie Looking for Guidance

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I'm completely inspired by what I've seen here but I need some guidance (brief personal history below). Basically what I'm looking for are the unwritten rules within the Rat Rod bike culture. CLEARLY there are no actual rules. But I'm guessing there are some boundaries way out on the edges. Sort of... "That looks cool but it's generally not done that way."

To be clear I'm not talking about the Build Off. Those rules are pretty straight forward. But within the RR culture, is there anything that's kinda frowned upon?

For example:
If I find a 1950's classic that's intact but really beat up, in general, would I attempt to rebuild it to its original specs, or harvest its parts for other projects? I'm a guitar guy. If I found a 1958 Fender Stratocaster I would restore it and never use it for parts.
Or...
If I find a new model beater and completely redo it: new paint, fenders, add a tank, cover it in fur. Would that be like taking a 2002 Corolla and adding hydraulics, undercarriage lights and spinner rims? Interesting but, why?

I'm not sure if I'm asking my question right.

About me. Born in '68. Escaped Hollywood after 20+ years with my soul intact (barely). Now I'm a video technician to pay the bills and a Rockabilly Guitar player still chasing the Rock and Roll dream. I'm a DYI'er and I've done everything from repair the dishwasher and washing machine to replace a broken floor tile in the bathroom and done repairs on my guitars. I have an ever growing set of tools and rarely get a project done with fewer than three trips to Home Depot.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard

Short answer.............there is no "why"
Everybody's bikes and builds speak to them in different ways. Not many purists on this site that will look down on you for modding a "classic". Chop what you want, mod to your hearts content

Unwritten rule. We don't discuss what constitutes a Rat Rod

Welcome aboard

Short answer.............there is no "why"
Everybody's bikes and builds speak to them in different ways. Not many purists on this site that will look down on you for modding a "classic". Chop what you want, mod to your hearts content

Unwritten rule. We don't discuss what constitutes a Rat Rod
Thanks that helps a lot. I appreciate it.

Stay tuned...

You gotta love an unwritten rule that’s so important it gets written down. Thanks!
The unwritten part is important too : "Build what you like"
Bicycles are meant to be enjoyed. As long as you are doing that it's fine.

If you think you are breaking rules, one guy put drop bars on a BMX! Can you top that?

The unwritten part is important too : "Build what you like"
Bicycles are meant to be enjoyed. As long as you are doing that it's fine.

If you think you are breaking rules, one guy put drop bars on a BMX! Can you top that?
I’m gonna try MattiThundrrr. I’m gonna try...

Last edited:
It's really just custom bikes. You can "waste" money building up a cheaper frame, but if you've got a lot of bikes, limited budget, and/or want to use what's around, sometimes that's what you need to use and it doesn't mean you can't build something cool, anyway. It might not be as nice a rider as if it was a better quality frame, but there aren't any snobs here that I've seen (unless it's against unsafe hacks, maybe). People appreciate quality, but it's most about the look and the idea. For at least some of us, the build is at least as important and fun as the riding. I look at it like I'm building something for fun, not to keep up with a paceline or bomb a mountain—the manufacturers do a better job at that than I can, but they're also not going to make a rocket bike (which turned out to ride surprisingly well) and the expensive specialty bikes aren't going to earn as many interesting conversations with people (pre-pandemic, at least).

I look at it like I'm building something for fun, not to keep up with a paceline or bomb a mountain—the manufacturers do a better job at that than I can
To some, fun might be restoring and/or customizing something vintage that was acquired on the cheap *and* being able to keep up with a paceline or bomb a mountain. What some produce properly in that manner for one who may be seeking this brand of fun is better and way less expensive than what the "industry" is selling nowadays.

No Rules, Just Right

Latest posts

Back