Newbe here...looking for some info on a couple Schwinns

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple bikes at an auction to play with. These two I know are Schwinns and I plan on restoring them for the wife and I to cruise on. Anyone tell me the model or if anything is missing? The girls is a 1950 and the boys I can't read the serial number (under the crank)
DSC01495.jpg

DSC01494.jpg

This bike I don't know what it is, what it's missing, or if its worth anything. May end up cutting it up for a low long rat bike.
DSC01493.jpg

All 3 are 24in wheeled bikes. Any help with what they are, what's missing and where I can get parts are appreciated.

Nice finds. The early bikes are funny to identify because the catalogs are a bit sparse and most models don't have names.

The red boy's Schwinn I believe is a J-30. The girl's is a J-86... that's if they're both 1950 models. Do some more digging and uncover that serial number.

Skiptooth chains on both mean they're from that era for sure.

Catalog page can be seen here:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1941_1950/1950_04.html

The 3rd bike I'm going to have to defer to some of the other early-bike experts on here. It's pre-war from the looks of it, with axle adjusters in the rear of the frame. My guess is it's a 1938-41 model but I don't know the details well enough to tell you if it was built by Rollfast, Hawthorne, Columbia, Huffman, or one of the many others around at that exciting time.

Good luck with them,
--Rob

This is a pic of Eldon Hammond, the organizer of the Pana, IL bike show that is held in June every year. The bike looks quite a bit like yours. Eldon restored the bike and still has it. Gary
me-1948.jpg

On the last bike, it looks like a CWC built bike, going by the chainring and curvature of the seat stays.

Red boys Schwinn serial number- F353011 12/02/49 ?
Green girls Schwinn serial number- G249269 08/11/50 ?
unknown red boys bike serial number - C71389

Thanks for the help so far...trying to decide which of the boys bikes to cut up now lol

Yeah I think you're right on with the Schwinn serial numbers. Good detective work.

Very cool complete early bikes. I wouldn't cut any of them up... they've made it 60 years. The production in those days was strong but not the millions of units like 60s and 70's "Bike Boom" bikes.

Cut up something that's not nice and original... my $0.02.

Good luck, they're great finds in any case.

--Rob

white04mach said:
Red boys Schwinn serial number- F353011 12/02/49 ?
Green girls Schwinn serial number- G249269 08/11/50 ?
unknown red boys bike serial number - C71389

Thanks for the help so far...trying to decide which of the boys bikes to cut up now lol

Latest posts

Back