New TRM TANK Concept

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now looking at the other versions you've provided I can see what you mean , with the last version looking the best I realize It just looks like a boys sting with a tank on it . The second pic with it goin all the way down actually pronounced the center bar even more , I see your dilema now as your original
TRM tank for the 26" model actually some how made that center bar disappear or actally took the eye away from it .

~ Rafael ~

After going back and looking at this version
41023_9d58d24c62f1af480d17d8c235a70ee4.jpg

I noticed that your new lines ad the appearance of the two small bars of the cantilever frame also at the same time if you walked up to a bike of this size I would actually be looking at it at a different angle.
Lookin good .

Not sure if any other potential buyers would agree, but I think if it's going to be custom, make it CUSTOM. I feel like something inspired by the digger-style choppers not only fits the '60s/70s drag bike vibe, but may better suit the twin down tube look a girls frame will give it. Extending the back of the tank straight back into a stubby pseudo fender shroud may also allow it to be adapted to larger 26" frames, as well.

Not sure if any other potential buyers would agree, but I think if it's going to be custom, make it CUSTOM. I feel like something inspired by the digger-style choppers not only fits the '60s/70s drag bike vibe, but may better suit the twin down tube look a girls frame will give it. Extending the back of the tank straight back into a stubby pseudo fender shroud may also allow it to be adapted to larger 26" frames, as well.
This is a tricky thing to infer Dave. There's no doubt that converting a girls frame bike is inarguably a custom application, but there are varying degrees of what a custom bike can be.

The decision to pursue a conversion specifically targeting the Stingray bike was based on the fact that the Stingray has a strong following on its own. Hopefully the conversion will appeal to Stingray fans that are interested in a mild custom based on that genre without compromising a valuable collectable boys bike. This will be an inexpensive alternative without the guilt!

A radical custom like a digger chopper would have a completely different appeal and would probably be better suited for a 26" frame anyway. That's not to say that it wouldn't be a viable idea, but I have to choose one direction at a time and (at least) for now, I'm exploring the Stingray idea.
Thanks for the input! I'm open to any and all ideas.

...I noticed that your new lines ad the appearance of the two small bars of the cantilever frame.
Yes. It's not very clear in the rendering but the canti-lines will actually be partially raised and have a radius that will further mimic the bars.

This is a tricky thing to infer Dave.
Thanks for the input! I'm open to any and all ideas.

I'm just spitballing - seeing if anything sticks. I do feel like that tank mod is most marketable to the lowrider guys. A pair of matching scallops for the rear stays might be a good add-on, if not included in every set.

I'm just spitballing - seeing if anything sticks. I do feel like that tank mod is most marketable to the lowrider guys. A pair of matching scallops for the rear stays might be a good add-on, if not included in every set.
Great idea! I'll have to dig a little deeper into that one!

Great idea, Jim.
I too, like this version best... BUT
index.php

I think the tank with the evened out bottom will probably have the best chance of fitting the random non-Schwinns that some will want to try and convert. As their tubes will not be in the exact same place.

Carl.

Last edited:
I think the tank with the evened out bottom will probably have the best chance of fitting the random non-Schwinns that some will want to try and convert. As their tubes will not be in the exact same place.
Thanks Carl for drawing my attention to that aspect! After exploring that thought, here's my conclusions:

I'm not familiar with the similar bikes that were produced by other manufacturers, but I would venture to say that they would all be in the same ballpark with each other. Considering that it's a 20" frame, it couldn't stray very far from one frame to another. The original TRM tank has proven to be adaptable across a wide variety of 26" frames and it is less flexible than this one will be.
Unlike the swept back shape of the original TRM tank, the bottom section of this tank will bisect the top tube at close to a 90 degree angle which should allow a large variance without visually looking wrong.

I found a Murray Wildcat photo to test it out on. Of course this is only a rough guess considering that I don't have any actual measurements to work with at this point, but it seems to fit pretty close to the same.
Murray Wildcat.jpg

One other thing that might come into play is the overall length. It is much easier to shorten a tank than to add to it. I'll keep that in mind when the time comes. Thanks!

I saw bisect and read biscuit...
and thought how in the heck is he gonna biscuit join that?
Silly carpenter in my head...

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

I don't know what took me so long to figure this out. how about a cutout in the tank?

An open space between the top and the cantilever shapes. It may not have so much of a lowrider feel that way, and lend more to it looking like a boys frame.

Times like this make me wish I had a computer, it looks good in my head.

I think the only reason it brings lowriders to mind is the idea that 20" frames are either Muscle Bikes or Lowriders. Hopefully this will help change that falicy, and we can build 20" cruisers without explaining "It's not a lowrider."

Carl.

sent from a banana phone...

Found this waiting at my door today!
101_2651.jpg

It's clearly marked 'Please do NOT lay FLAT" but looks like there's been a truck wheel laying on it. I haven't unpacked it yet, but I did open it and looked in and it looks packed really good so I think it survived the 2500 mile trip in spite of the abuse!

View attachment 44176

It's clearly marked 'Please do NOT lay FLAT" but looks like there's been a truck wheel laying on it. I haven't unpacked it yet, but I did open it and looked in and it looks packed really good so I think it survived the 2500 mile trip in spite of the abuse!
Box opening video?

I dropped a bike of at FedEx once, I had written TOP and FRAGILE on both sides of the box.
The guy at the counter said I can write whatever I want on it, the drivers don't care. They'll stow it however it fits in the truck.

Box opening video?
Hmmm, never thought of that. :39: I might give that a try.
I dropped a bike of at FedEx once, I had written TOP and FRAGILE on both sides of the box.
The guy at the counter said I can write whatever I want on it, the drivers don't care. They'll stow it however it fits in the truck.
Makes sense. Should always plan for that when boxing up stuff for shipping.

View attachment 44176

Ther is nothing like coming home from a long day or a outing and finding a box at your door , makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Ther is nothing like coming home from a long day or a outing and finding a box at your door , makes me feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
It wasn't Christmas, but ironically it just happened to be my birthday yesterday! Thanks!

View attachment 44176

Hopefully it made it ok , I'll tell yuh those guys that handle our stuff need a good talkin too.
Here's the way it looked when it left my place .
2015060895191646.jpg

I unpacked the bike and put it together this evening. Looks like everything made it without damage. :whew:

@LukeTheJoker I did a video as you suggested, but my memory card filled up before I finished unwrapping all of the pieces. It does show everything being removed from the box though. Not sure if I'll post it.

Latest posts

Back