new to site

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm not new to biking just new to your site. I enjoy bringing the old back to useable life and I enjoy riding. Recently just finished 2 1980 Schwinn Traveler rebuilds that were garage sale finds and just purchased 2 barn finds. And old 24" Hiawatha girls bike and an unknown 26" mens bike that I'm going to clean up and enjoy. I'll post some photos once I learn how and hopefully enjoy the "ride" with you all.

OK. I'm going to try the photo upload
IMG_20201004_154407.jpg

IMG_20200829_175438.jpg
IMG_20201004_182756.jpg
IMG_20201004_181522.jpg

Top and 2nd photos are the his and hers 1980 Schwinn Traveler's I just completed. The guys recieved used Shimano 105 componets where I could and the ladies was all original Schwinn except wheels and handle bars. The men's cruiser I haven't been able to identify but has a unique shape and a double top tube. The head badge is still intact but covered in paint. The Hiwatha, I blew up the tires and road it down the road. Both had been hanging in a barn for over 40 years according to the owner. The ladies Schwinn went to my daughter in law. The men's Schwinn I'm going to keep for now. The Hiawatha is up in the air. I don't need or want it but it was part of the deal with the men's bike. The men's bike is pretty rough but the frame is solid. I've started working on cleaning it up and to make a rat/cruiser out of it. Thanks for looking. I think I might like this site!

Welcome aboard! :cool2:
+1 on H.P. Snyder ID, Rollfast or various store brands, for example Western Flyer for Western Auto, Hawthorne for Montgomery Ward, as well as others.

First world problems :21:
I was trying to buy an Evans from a guy at a swapmeet...he wouldn't budge on the price. I kept trying to throw other items that he was selling in to the deal to try and get the Evans down on price. That 24" snyder frame was one of the items...he had it there for $40 by itself. Negotiations failed on the Evans. But, everytime he would see me walking in the area...it was 'hey, I'll sell you that 24" frame for $35!' ...then $30... then $25...etc. Finally, towards the end of the meet, as I'm leaving, I get a tap on the shoulder. 'Hey, I'll give you that 24" frame for $5!'. So, I say sure... can't not buy it for that much. After I handed him the fiver he says, 'I would have given it to you for free, I got it in a trade earlier in the day and didn't really want it. You're the only one that showed interest in it and I didn't want to haul it home!'.

I really wish I would have got that Evans. :bigsmile:

Yep a Snyder, probably early to mid 60's. You can check the date. The serial number on the rear left dropout with begin with a letter, then have numbers. A is 1959, B is 1960, etc to L being 1970.

Yep a Snyder, probably early to mid 60's. You can check the date. The serial number on the rear left dropout with begin with a letter, then have numbers. A is 1959, B is 1960, etc to L being 1970.
I checked the serial number on the left rear dropout and it begins with a B so it's a 1960.
IMG_20201010_082417.jpg
IMG_20201005_203057.jpg

Also, a photo of the head badge if you have any idea.
Thanks for the help.

That doesn't look like a Rollfast or Hawthorne badge, but it's riveted on so it's the one that came with the bike most probably. It might be one of the hardware store brands. I would carefully try to remove the spray paint little by little to see what's on it. If the repaint is cheap enough, you might get the original paint back for the whole bike.

Latest posts

Back