New to me Sears Screamer 5 Speed/Springer fork, 1969 0r 70??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Restore it or Leave it as is??

• Full blown restoration with new paint , chrome, tires, upholstery.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Preservation restoration -clean and polish what is there, install new tires and maybe seat cover

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • Leave it exactly as it is, even keeping the 1969 air in the tires....

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Just ship it to me, I'll give you thousands for it!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
DJ Bill
DSCN4657_zpsakd5layn.jpg

DSCN4662_zpsrbfxtrlr.jpg

DSCN4659_zpsdpfnovxl.jpg

DSCN4664_zpsbijwbcxf.jpg
DSCN4666_zpsz8jyht3h.jpg

DSCN4667_zpslxrl3hhy.jpg

DSCN4669_zps5igbxy2g.jpg

Any thoughts on how to refurb this or whether to even do anything appreciated. I'm not entirely certain that the bars and stem are not replacement Wald units..although the patina on them matches. If it was an old Schwinn ten speed I'd be after all the chrome with copper wool and evaporust solution. I picked up a free kiddy pool on the way home, so if I decide to soak the frame in something I've got a container now. Whether the rust will improve or not....The red part of the frame is rust free. The gold/yellow/metallic part has a lot of little rust specs. Ido not plan on painting it, but I do hope I could bring it back a little from its present condition. The guy I got it from said he used Chrome Polish on the chrome but nothing else. He left the wheels alone, and when I took it for a test drive the pads wiped the rust right off the rim. (After they absorbed lots of Armorall and actually started to do something.)

The decal on the chainguard had a sticker over the name of the bike.....and with it gone there is a green square now.. It looks like the entire background was green at one time but it has faded away.

I think the tires are going to have to go if there is going to be any riding....but they are nice display tires.

If you guys can tell me what you'd do with the bike and what looks correct or replaced, it would be cool.

I've ridden it around the block,and it is interesting with the springer fork AND a sprung seat. Not a bad ride, but a tad small for me even riding on the back part of the seat.

How to polish the plastic chrome parts is another question.

Brings back found Christmas memories
Keep it like it is!

It does look a little better in the pics than in person.....I really want to clean up the rusty chrome...cause I know it would clean pretty nicely. I've gotta take apart the freewheel and clean up/regrease all the bearings so I thought a dip in some Evaporust might be in order for at least the back wheel.

And speaking of Christmas memories......My folks would neve buy one of those kooky hi rise bikes for me or my bro. We had to be happy with our Schwinn Suburbans and whatever we had before that, Schwinn, of course.

But....one Christmas morning there was a genuine Unicycle under the tree....That kept me out of trouble for a long time.

Yeah, definitely stabilize any rust and clean her up. You have the right idea. That's in great shape.

Your bike is a 69 Screamer. You can tell by the bulge in the rear dropouts. The handlebars are not correct. The long stem is correct. It should have butterfly handlebars. Everything else looks correct on it. You can get a brake sticker for the red shifter knob off Ebay. I have cut red reflectors to fit the back reflector case behind the seat. The paint looks pretty nice. I would just clean it and enjoy it. Here is a set of handlebars for your bike.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sea...966366c&pid=100011&rk=3&rkt=8&sd=161781772170

I agree with Jaxon, clean it up and enjoy it. Looks like with some work that will clean up very nicely!

Although I would be careful riding on the seat. Those are hard to find in nice shape, and hard to fix. Maybe get a random black seat for riding?

That guard is cool! Weird the color stayed on under the sticker so nicely!

Latest posts

Back