1. Photobucket recently update their Terms of Use and are now requiring a $399/year membership fee in order to share the photos that you host with them on other websites. If you use Photobucket to host your photos and are using a FREE account, none of your photos will show up on other websites. Please upload your photos directly to the forum here and no longer use Photobucket. Click here to follow the discussion topic...
    Dismiss Notice
  2. There is a solution for the broken Photobucket image issue on forums. If you use Firefox or Chrome, go into the Extensions (Chrome) or Add-Ons (Firefox) and search for "Photobucket Embed Fix" - it will have an icon that looks like a green piece from a jigsaw puzzle. Install the extension/add-on, restart your browser (Chrome) and you should be able to see all of the Photbucket images again.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART (Op Bike PICS ADDED)

Discussion in 'BIKE TALK' started by Rat Rod, May 4, 2010.

1. Rat Rod

Rat Rod Owner & Founder Head Honcho Moderator

Re: NEW STUFF AT WAL-MART

You have to look at these bikes from the parts scavenging perspective. :D

As stated by jerryk earlier, a set of wheels and new tires can add up to what some of these bikes are going for.

2. Road Master

Road Master

Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!

I buy every different color tire I can get my hands on. When I was a kid you had two choices - blackwall or whitewall. I'm amazed by all the different sizes, colors and treads of available tires today. I bought a pair of Specialized gumwalls when someone posted a sale link here and a few months later I got this crusty Monark that I steel wooled and clear sprayed and I really like the gumwalls on it. I've got more tires than bikes. Plus I bought a crap load of Kendas last year from their "weekly specials". I just match up the tires with the bike - great fun.

[​IMG]

3. Ratfink1962

Ratfink1962

yeah for the cost of putting together a wheelset, that seems reasonable. Plus you can swap or sell the leftover parts, and chop up the rest to make something more interesting! :mrgreen:

4. Rustinkerer

Rustinkerer

Yep! Kind of a shooting fish in a barrel review-What? The cheap Wally world China express bike has quality issues? Noooooooooo! :lol: (I like it though, and the Del mar! And when did Op stop making board shorts and start making bikes???? :shock: ) -Adam

5. mikesbikes36

mikesbikes36

yeah i suppose u guys r right ... would b worth it just for the tires n rims... maybe ill; have 2 go check out my local wally world and see whats happpnin ....

6. Cruisinmarine

Cruisinmarine

Looks like i will be making a trip for a donor

7. GTCOMA

GTCOMA

That mongoose looks pretty cool for $150. I wonder how long before wal-mart sells a fixie...

8. xHOBOPHOBIAx

xHOBOPHOBIAx

I saw a cool cranbrook with a panama jack theme, had a bottle opener on one of the fork legs.

9. sojudave

sojudave

I like the lines on that OP cruiser. half chop/half cantilever. Very nice asthetic. Would love to throw and engine on it.

10. sojudave

sojudave

Well if you look at these bikes as starting points, like another post stated, then a lot can be done with these bikes. Take the OP bike for example, imagine it lime green, 18" apes, stainless wheels with 12g spokes, chopper forks....or whatever. I get bikes because of the frames. If I like the frame design then I am in. It was unsettling when the blog showed the jacked up bearing cups.

11. shaggyevil

shaggyevil

I saw the blue cruiser at the Walmart here the other day. I haven't seen the Mongoose, or the OP cruiser. I do like the looks of the OP...

Shaggy

12. Rat Rod

From what I can tell the OP seems to be a decent sized bike too....more in line with the Electras and Nirves maybe.

I'll have to go by there again and pull one out next time and bring my good camera. :mrgreen:

13. Rat Rod

Large, lightweight aluminum frame with easy to remove clear stickers. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bean

bean

Cool.....looks very "Electra-fied". Chain and seat stays look nice and wide too. Only wish we could them here in Oz for that price :( .

15. Rat Rod

It appeared that the cheapest parts on the bike were the pedals and the grips.

What was interesting was how large the frame was. I'm 5' 9" and when I stood next to it, the top bar was at my waist.

I sat on the seat and it made some cheap crunchy spring noises so the seat may be worthless too.

But for pete sakes....$109 is just flat cheap in my opinion.

16. Rat Rod

Reading the reviews on the Wal-Mart site...sounds like the rear hub is junk...not surprising.

Someone already added an engine kit to one...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. cman

cman Moderator

Where is the RIDING Pic?

18. Rat Rod

"Attention Wal-Mart shoppers....we have a rat rodder on aisle 9.....I repeat, a rat rodder on aisle 9....please move to the outer edge to avoid a collision." :lol:

19. CCR

CCR Mouth-Breather Moderator

i like how the display insert is still in the front wheel :lol:

20. Cruisinmarine

Cruisinmarine

Picked up a huffy cranbrook for the wifey, mommy's day gift :wink: . Had some parts leftover from previous builds so I added some 1.75 whitewalls, matching saddle/grips/saddlebag, 'ol skool generator light kit, and it looks pretty cool. Next up, springer up front and 5spd/drum brake hub swap in the rear.

I'm diggin that OP cruiser, hmmm