New School "moving to finished"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New School "Cut That $..t Out"

I think you right.. the triangulation of the axle will be fairly strong. "if it ain't broke..."

Re: New School "Stripper!"

I remember the first time I used airplane stripper, it was on a KA24DE aluminum valve cover, I was amazed at how well that stuff worked... and just how a tiny bit could so quickly burn you! haha

Looking good.

Re: New School "Stripper!"

bighit said:
i left a little bit of the old art. i couldnt strip it off. when i paint it i will tape over it.

Worth the extra effort to save. Thumbs up.

Re: New School "full frame pics"

I know it's "early" in the build off...But in your spare time, you might start to contemplate.....what kind of trophy you're going to build NEXT year! :lol:

You make we want to tear down my Electra Townie and rat it.....My wife won't let me. Keep rolling Hard!

Public Safety Announcement...Never, ever sit down in a puddle of paint stripper.

I did. Once. :shock:

Oh yeah, killer work on widening those stays.

Didn't hurt my clothes, but my butt looked like one of those baboons with the bright red hindquarters. :mrgreen:

I was working at a Corvette restoration place, and out back we had several cut down 55 gallon drums that we used as workbenches. I was stripping a set of valvecovers and I got tired of standing, so I sat down on one of the shorter drums. I completely forgot that I had just stripped an air cleaner on that one and there was just enough stripper left on top to soak through my jeans and burn my bum. Ooops.

bighit said:
Oh and big thanks to Gowjobs. We did a fork swap and the fork i got from him will now live in infamy On this bike.

I'll be interested to see how much tire you can squeeze into that fork. I seem to remember a Fat Frank being pretty tight, vertically.

Re: New School "Time to make the Gussets"

I think flush should strengthen it just as much as further down, especially with welds top and bottom and since that plate is so thick.

Bighit. Did you braze those holes up? Nice work if you did.

Great progress so far!!!!

dogdart said:
not if you weld a bolt on underneath , like a stud . then you wouldn't see the head 8)

I thought of this too, but I didn't mention it because I couldn't think of any kickstands that would bolt onto a stud that way.

bighit said:
Stinking lowes dosent carry any Allen M10 x 1.5 bolts only hex heds. Got to go to home depot tomorrow and try there.

The gusset is ready to be welded in, but if I am going to do the stealth kickstand mount trick I have to weld stuff on first.

I am going to weld a small square over the hole then the bolt onto that. Then from the top I can fill it in with some filler rod and grind it smooth.
iv had good turn outs when looking for bolts and what not at ace hard ware.... its worth a shot if you have one in your area.

Back