New project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came from Dallas, not sure where it originally was from. The guy I bought it from said he
got it from his brother...Maybe the guy died..can't remember the story.
I picked up a c4 auto trans for it tonight. Got have it rebuilt, but I want to be shiffless and lazy.
I hope it works. Gonna take some work to get it rebuilt and in the truck.

DSCF0001-92.jpg

Well regardless of if I leave the three speed or swap to the auto , I needed to clean 47 years of dirt off the trans.
Man I worked for several hours with a scraper and a drill with a wire brush. I got one side fairly cleaned.
At least I can see the bolts. The other side isn't quiet as bad. It got hot as usual in Texas and I have to wait to do the other side.
I'm still trying to figure out the total cost of the auto swap. $400 for a rebuild on the tranny $100 for the rebuild on the torq
converter. Lines to the radiator. At least it has a new radiator and the place for the trans lines are there. Kickdown cable shorten
the drive shaft ...neutral safety switch. Hummm seems to keep adding up. Maybe I need to just stick a new clutch in it
and be done.

DSCF0003-37.jpg

Looks like that spring has seen better days too. Or just drop in a 351 Windsor and a c-4 trans and call it done... :mrgreen:

Trust me it could be MUCH worse. My old Corvair van was.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y7tRogCovQE

Yeah it needed a little TLC for sure. I never was that crazy about a corvair motor.
Those belts seemed to always pop off. Was a better concept with all the weight
on the back. They had to stick a cast iron plate on these to help. Its doing pretty
good so far. I will get started on the clutch change monday so in a few days that should
be all taken care of. Probably can clean the trans up lots better with it out on the ground.
Every little bit seems to make it better. At least when I'm done it will be a lot cleaner. :lol:

Got my trans out and cleaned. Once again it was several hours of cleaning dirt and grease off.
Now maybe tomorrow I can get new parts and put it all back together. The flywheel
has shiney spots on it so that is probably why it shudders when you let out the clutch. WIll
have to have the flywheel machined to stop that.
Its a short 3 speed for sure.

Untitled-2.jpg

Yeah Steve, I can get a power washer, but I'm not sure you would want to blow high pressure water
in a trans/bellhousing. Might cause a few problems. The guy said it would be a week to redo
my pressure plate...clutch plate and surface my flywheel. $267. He is cheaper than I can get
new stuff for so I will let them do it. Will give me time to clean more. My flywheel has an inset
so instead of $30 to surface it , the price is $65...figures

DSCF0004-29.jpg

The motor is pretty nasty , but really the bottom of this thing is in pretty
good shape for a 47 year old vehicle. I doubt that I will paint it all , but the starter
trans and stuff like that are getting the once over. Got to do something to
kill a week till my parts are back. Someone painted the pan. I was wondering
why and the inside of the bell housing was all covered with oil.

Well did pretty good today. I cleaned and painted the starter,bellhousing,driveshaft
and the plate that bolts to the motor that holds the bellhousing. I put all the bolts
in a gallon can of carb cleaner and left them for several hours, then I sorted them
out where I can figure out where they all go to put it back together.

DSCF0002-88.jpg

It was funny wondering why someone would paint the oil pan. Now that I have take it all apart
I see that they changed the rear oil seal. It must have had a pretty good leak. It dosen't anymore
and now with all the oil cleaned out of the bellhousing and a new clutch and stuff it should do
pretty good on the take off without the shudder.

DSCF0002-89.jpg

Well I got my new clutch pressure plate and throwout bearing in.
Also had the flywheel turned. All works good , except the gas gauge says 1/4 tank
dosen't mean zip....its empty. :(
Well at least it gave me a chance to clean and paint my trans and stuff. Looks better.

DSCF0012-1.jpg

paul, your econoline p/u project is getting me all nostalgic! :D my first vehicle was a 1966 econoline van that i bought in the fall of `72. it had the 170ci six,3 on the tree and 13" wheels. on a good day it could hit 69 mph on the freeway,but the slightest crosswind would send you into the next lane instantly! :shock: the throw on the transmission linkage was so long that the forks were always getting crossed up. i even had my mother make some curtains that were right behind the seats,so i could seal off the back and sneak my buddies into the drive-in theater. anyway... you got yourself a killer project to play with,have some fun with it, but i`d keep an eye out for a 240ci to slide in there in case you want to jump on I-45! :mrgreen:

Yeah John its a fun toy. Right now its having the left me syndrome. For some reason
it has decided not to want to run twice today. I think the carb is having a problem with
Vapor Locking. It gets hot after you drive it and then the next run it will stop and not
start again. I thought it ran out of gas the first time. Then it did it again . Going to have
to put a clear fuel filter to see if its not getting gas or what. I have had it to 50ish around
my neighborhood and I'm not sure I would want to go too fast in it. Not the most stable
vehicle I have ever had. Fun to putt around in though.

Latest posts

Back