New project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been fixing all the stuff , and haven't had time to mess with the tires.
Still got lots to go before I do the visual stuff. Gonna pull the steering box next I think.
Should be a fun project. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Its funny , that lots of old trucks never had blinkers. These aftermarket universal ones solved the problem.
It take a little doing to figure out what wires on the truck go to what wires on the switch.
Finally got them figured out and hooked up. Had to buy a flasher with 3 prongs instead of 2.
Not sure why , but it worked out good. Still looking for a steering box to swap this one or , if I can't
find one then I will try to rebuild this one.

Ok have been steady working on my truck. I took the frontend out and changed the kingpins.
DSCF0002-84.jpg

DSCF0002-83.jpg

Made the mistake of posting on a Yahoo Econoline web site and all the guys there told
Me that they knew for a long time that all the kingpins produced are wrong and by using them
I had built a dangerous situation. If I ever sold it I should tell the new owner that there was a
serious situation on the frontend. I looked at it when I put it back together with the new pins
and it looked good to me. Was a bunch better than it was. So I'm not a member of their deal anymore.
Seems like if they know they should tell someone and have it fixed.
Anyway I found some better springs on an Amigo and changed to them.Made the front sit higher.
DSCF0004-28.jpg

I decided to build some blocks to raise the back too. I want bigger tires and it has to be up a ways to run them.
DSCF0002-85.jpg

So I found a deal on a set of 16'' american wheels and tires off of a Ford Ranger and I really like them. It coming right along
truck.jpg

DSCF0005-18.jpg

I am soooooo jealous!!!!!!!

Yeah they all informed me that their guy was the only one making the correct
Kingpins. They said the groove in them was several thousandth's too deep and it would eventually
wallow out the axle.....like I'm going to use this as a daily driver or something
I looked in that hole to line up the sideways pins and didn't see any difference.
Yeah Steve its a fun truck. I have a long ways to go , but it gives me someplace
to spend my extra money. New shocks..tires...wheels. Lots of new stuff so far.

Thanks Kingfish glad you like it. It should turn out pretty good...I hope.

Steve did you look at the bottom of this thing. It would take you forever
to get all the nastyness off. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its funny everything I fix I paint with this anodized bronze paint.
You can see what I have worked on.
DSCF0002-86.jpg

The vans look kind of Vanny. Its hard to tell they are anything really very different.
These silly trucks draw a bunch of attention. Driving it around my neighborhood
gets more looks than riding a unicycle in a pirate outfit. :shock:

Glad you like it.

Uncle Stretch said:
The vans look kind of Vanny. Its hard to tell they are anything really very different.
These silly trucks draw a bunch of attention. Driving it around my neighborhood
gets more looks than riding a unicycle in a pirate outfit. :shock:

Glad you like it.

You're right. A van is a van. I'm not one for ground scraping cars but I really like this one.... Maybe it's because of my back and the added ease of loading and unloading of the cargo....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_VyZEHKINMCc/T ... e_view.jpg

Thanks Skip I liked the truck at first , but with the new rims and tires ....I love it.
I kinda had to raise it up to stick the 225/75r/16's under it. Most everybody is slamming
their builds to the ground. Kinda wound up with a 4x4 look , but I'm really pleased with it.
With the new kingpins and tires that are belted the steering slack is acceptable. It still has
a little but really not to bad for a 47 year old truck. It will build up the ol biceps with no
power steering.

Chip if the big drought dosen't come back this year , we normally have so much
rain that a van like that would need an Evinrude on the back. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Chip if the big drought dosen't come back this year , we normally have so much
rain that a van like that would need an Evinrude on the back. :lol:

I think you just thought of another use for it! A cabin cruiser!

My tailgate was all rusted out. I had a friend that owns a metal fab shop rebuild it.
I tried to match the paint. Hummm not even close , but its all new metal. I'm thinking
about not using the bumper and going with some nurf bars instead.

Untitled-1.jpg

DSCF0003-36.jpg

change.jpg

I don't know why but I've always like pickups w/o a rear bumper and the vans I can do either. Where did yours spend most of its life if its rusted?

If you have something made of metal down here with a hole in it to collect water...you still get rust...even in Texas. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back