New project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 1965 Ford econoline truck in Arlington. Its close to Steve , so today he ran over there and did a lookie see. He took a lot of pictures and it looked pretty good for what the guy wants. He left some money and , I'm going there wednesday to pick it up. He really came through for me rather than dragging a trailer 5 hours and then being disappointed, not to mention all the gas money. New truck gets about 15 MPG....Ouch. Probably way less dragging a truck and trailer. Oh well it all in the deal. So here is a couple pics Steve took. It runs and drives so that is a plus.
DSC_0005.jpg

7f628d95.jpg

9fb0b39f.jpg

I have the motor and trans from the same year van.Freshly rebuilt with period correct performance parts.I know I'm a bit out of the way for ya'.that being said,the van was wrecked and the power plant is for sale-CHEAP.I love the project! Cab rack and bikes in the back!Looks to be in great shape.good luck and have fun.
-Kreep-

Kreep said:
I have the motor and trans from the same year van.Freshly rebuilt with period correct performance parts.I know I'm a bit out of the way for ya'.that being said,the van was wrecked and the power plant is for sale-CHEAP.I love the project! Cab rack and bikes in the back!Looks to be in great shape.good luck and have fun.
-Kreep-[/quote

Man its hard enough to get this thing back to Pearland. I can't imagine what it would cost
to ship a motor and trans from Florida. Wonder what size bike box it would fit in.
This motor is a 200 and I will probably change it to something cool....289 or a small block chevy. Who knows
I laughed this other guy was saying his had the really rare trim on his....both of the ones I
found had it. :lol:

My daughter and I had a fun time checking out Uncle Stretch's new project today.

The guy selling it was very nice and had lots of cool toys around his place that he's been accumulating over the years.

I told Uncle Stretch that I felt like Mike Wolfe from American Pickers....only without the money...ha ha! :lol:

Here are a few more shots of that cool little truck...

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

He also had a really sweet 36 Ford convertible with a flathead and a rumble seat...

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

He was selling the Econoline because he had just picked up the Ranchero...

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

On top of that he also has a 40 Ford pickup that he's working on...

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

He also had this cool little 1940s lawn tractor that had been turned into a train engine. He said that he and his brother built it a long time ago to haul the little barrels around as train cars for the kids to sit in. The thing has a car transmission in it!

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

All in all it was a fun trip out there today and I was glad that the deal is going to work out.

I told my Uncle Stretch to give me first dibs after he fixes it all up and gets tired of it. :lol:

Uncle Stretch,

You sure know how to use that retirement time well.

I have always loved the 1st generation Econolines vans and pickups, Here in the Midwest you could never find such a sold car or truck like that.

Have fun with it, can't wait to see what you do with it.

A paint scheme idea for you. :wink:

2474833205_cb82152f61.jpg

Oh but I don't think you like blue. :? :shock:

Not sure to what level of finish I will take this. Its kinda just for fun and something to do.
I saw one while looking for another type of car and thought they really look cool.
I think this one for the shape its in is a good deal. All the old 30's and 40's car projects I looked at
were in the $8500 range. We have a friday night car show in my town that brings in 20 or 30 cars.
Kinda just wanted to be a part of it again. The building it will be fun too trying to figure out
how to make things work better...well different. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Man its hard enough to get this thing back to Pearland. I can't imagine what it would cost
to ship a motor and trans from Florida. Wonder what size bike box it would fit in.
This motor is a 200 and I will probably change it to something cool....289 or a small block chevy. Who knows
I laughed this other guy was saying his had the really rare trim on his....both of the ones I
found had it. :lol:

That is sweet!!! I've always liked those Econo's. I'd keep that little 200. I have one in my falcon and it gets around 20mpg and with a few hop up parts like a split header and a cam they can make decent power, not to mention they are dang near indestructible! Whatever you do, please don't put a small block chev in a ford, around here you would get laughed at, at every show.

I kinda like the paint as is, but I bet it doesn't stay that way. Paul never met a old paint job that he likes;)

Getting laughed at for sticking a Chevy motor in a Ford. I had 6 street rods I built or changed and
all were Fords and had chevy motors. You can take a head off of a 1960 283 and stick it on the
New chevy truck in my driveway. Fords are way too year/part specific. If it dosen't help anything
then I will leave the motor it has in it. Not trying to build a race truck . Just want something to play
with.

Clancy for a while it will stay that color. Not going to spend a bunch on paint either at this point.
This is just a simple ....keep busy doing something truck. I doubt if I will change much of anything.
Mainly fix what is there. Oh and a lot of cleaning.

Well I got a space cleared out for the new project to roll in tomorrow.
I know that this is where those hoarders start. They think in their mind that its ok
to have this much stuff...something will fit over there and make room for more crap
right about here. I did throw away a couple small things. :lol:
DSCF0001-87.jpg

DSCF0002-79.jpg

[

Since I haven't seen it yet and only pictures ,I think the first thing I am going to
do is change that one stupid whitewall to the black side. Its about to drive me crazy.
Oh and I may slap that old guy for putting it on there in the first place. Its like HEY! all
the rest are black Hello!!!
Really excited to get this , even though the 10 hours plus round trip is going to be a killer. :(

My Dad had one of those vans with the 3 speed column shift. The linkage was so worn that every once in awhile it would get stuck between gears and you would have to get out and reach up under the grill and push and pull until you got it unbound.

Thats funny. They have a really long everything since the motor is between the seats.
I bet the shift rod is 4' long. I can imagine that this one will have its share of problems.

Ok 11 hours to Dallas and back to drag my baby to my house. Well it was a struggle
but its safely tucked away in my garage so I feel like its really mine. Gonna start cleaning
on it tomorrow.
DSCF0002-80.jpg

DSCF0001-88.jpg

Latest posts

Back