New project...BF Goodrich Challenger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was searching ebay for a project bike and ran across this one but the shipping was way too high....like $130. Then I noticed it was in my town. It had a bin price of $75.00 obo. Out of respect (because I hate lowballers on CL), I simply asked what was the best price he could make me....as not to offend by lowballing. He replied that I could have it for $40.00.

So I picked it up today. The first thing I did was take the baskets off of the back. I was really suprised but it is really in pretty good shape....just needs some TLC. Every bolt has come out with no problems. The seat post even came right out. My plan it to leave all of the patina and simply re-do all of the mechanicals to get it rideable. Gonna install the whitewalls that I just took off of my Murray. New brgs, pedals, seat, chain and service the hubs. I'll probably replace the cranks since they are a little too rusty. Love the apes and old Western Flyer grips! Some springer forks would be nice if I could find some old ones.

36828_1472889836022_1646964934_1170988_597485_n.jpg

BwgO3QBWkKGrHqJhEv10DUPZBMJP3KFHbw_3.jpg

BwgPJng2kKGrHqNi0Ev10I45pBMJP3lsWpg_3.jpg

BwgPLhQBmkKGrHqFhcEv1z1dv3BMJP3rJKOw_3.jpg

Yeah it has a red stripe hub. Stripped the baskets and rear fender off and threw on some other tires just to size it up.

S6303580.jpg

The bike looks really good with those apes! One of those mouse trap springers (if that's what they're called... :lol: ) would look nice on there. :D

by Galtbacken
The bike looks really good with those apes! One of those mouse trap springers (if that's what they're called... ) would look nice on there.
+1!
You could sell the stuff you took off and double your initial investment and STILL have a cool bike!

I have nearly the exact same bike my mines a Sear Flightliner. Same color and it also came with a kickback also. Mine had reflective tape all over so it got stripped and painted. Cool bike and creepy thing is that I paid the same price for mine at a antique shop.

Ok this build has come to a screeching halt. I love it as is. After tuning it and do a little maintenance....it rides like a dream. New frt wheel, packed the brgs, a set of used tires, new tubes and new pedals (not in yet). Done...over...complete. Ok I'm gonna go ride...digging the action of the 2 speed kickback rear hub!

a.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Dr. Tankenstein said:
You could sell the stuff you took off and double your initial investment and STILL have a cool bike!

Yeah the original plan I had was to sell the vintage baskets and racks...but I figured the shipping would kill those deals. Then I desided that I would sell the 2 speed rear hub if it checked out ok on the test ride. I've probably ridden this bike 5 miles tonight. Can't get enough. And the 2 speed hub rocks! Not selling it now! :mrgreen:

I AM going to do something about the seat...it hurts! :(

Not big on fenders personally, but I clean up the rear rack and gave it a shot of satin clear. Then cleaned up the mounts.

d2.jpg

d6.jpg

Welded a piece of a newer seat post onto the top of this one so I could install a new seat.

d1.jpg

The 2 speed Bendix works like a champ. Really fun to ride.

d5.jpg

I hate to unbury a long cold thread. But I just picked up a bike identical to this one, but its badged as a Hiawatha. Anyone know what the deal is there?

Vonpotter said:
I hate to unbury a long cold thread. But I just picked up a bike identical to this one, but its badged as a Hiawatha. Anyone know what the deal is there?

deorman said:
Also a Murray. :wink:

Latest posts

Back