new posters not introducing themselves

Discussion in 'FORUM TALK' started by clerkkent, Jan 24, 2012.

1. clerkkent

clerkkent

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I've noticed new posters have one post (usually in the 'for sale' section), without doing the 'introduce yourself' thing, and then never to be heard from again. Some of these seem borderline spam, while others are just covering the interweb with something to sell, hoping to make a quick buck. One ad popped up yesterday that is the poster child for these type of posters. Brand new user, First post: 'I have thing I found I want to sell.. make me an offer' Second post: "Fine I'll just go to eBay to get a sense of its true worth."

Is it possible to have an account coding flag or something that prevents a user from posting on any forums *until* they've posted in the 'intros' section? Maybe having one extra hurdle will deter some of these one hit wonders from clogging up the forums?

2. KJV

KJV

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

3. abe lugo

abe lugo

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Some forums usually require a 45 day period or a certain post amount before being allowed to buy or sell. Which I think is fair, but i thins particular forum is not a vBulletin style and the owner might not want to do that anyhow.

i do agree with your post, I found this place mostly to buy, but I have read a lot of good threads on build and have commented.

4. deven_science

deven_science

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

45 days is a long time. I've been very active in almost every corner of this site, and I haven't even been a member for 45 days yet.

These 1 post sellers are just the few trying to ruin it for us many. I just ignore the SPAM, and go on enjoying my experience here. :)

5. JaxRhapsody

JaxRhapsody

0   0   0

Most forums im on require 50post before you can make a for sale ad. One forum i joined had every section locked till you made an introduction.

6. ozzmonaut

ozzmonaut

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

I would like to see something where an account is closed if there is a long time of no activity. Looking through the member list made me realize that the majority of people who signed up posted only a few posts and signed up years ago. A ton of members never even posted.It would be cool if the accounts just went away after a year of no use.

7. skuuter

skuuter

0   0   0

I posted in the NEW MEMBERS Forum as soon as I joined...."Post #1"..... :wink:

8. chimichanga

chimichanga

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

I agree. there should be a certain amount of posts to post in the for sale section.

9. Gizmo

Gizmo

0   0   0

Oopps. I'm guilty! I went back, checked my posts and sure enough I had neglected to introduce myself. So I rectified that problem, hope it makes up for my slackardly ways. BTW, I've bought a couple things but no selling here. Guess I got that right.

Thanks to all the Rats out there
    Gizmo

10. KZ1000

KZ1000

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

So when those people who find an old Elgin or a Schwinn Phantom in their barn, They have no knowledge of bikes and don't want the bikes, they just want to get rid of them and they find this site, Then they are told, they must make 10 - 20 - 30 posts, or sign up and wait 30 days and then you can sell your bikes on here. Does not sound like a good idea to me.

11. chimichanga

chimichanga

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

If they can find this site. then they probably know something about ebay or craigslist which most likely will price their bikes at a high amount.

12. Ozark Flyer

Ozark Flyer

0   0   0

You can put up as many barriers to participation as you wish but still have no way to know the difference between someone who is an interested newbie with potential and an idiot who is taking up page space. IMHO the diversity is what make a public forum interesting. Or....You could have them make 100 posts, write a thesis on bike building, fill out an application for admission, and interview before a board of members who were elected by popular vote of 2/3rds majority of the forum membership.....sorry, got carried away there.

I have enjoyed both buying and selling stuff here and don't have 50 posts. In the words of the Beatles, Let it Be.

13. clerkkent

clerkkent

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm not advocating an entire new set of rules; just enforcement of existing policies, namely:

BEFORE YOU START POSTING - Tell us a little about yourself.

We all enjoy and encourage new members to our community, we ask that basic requirements be respected.

14. B607

B607

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Okay on the introduction (or lack of...) but I would like to see it required that you list your location below your avatar. A city and state, not just "planet earth" or some such. Leaving it blank is even worse. My pet peave. 8) Gary

15. Dr. Tankenstein

Dr. Tankenstein

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

+1 on that! What's the harm in putting your location in there? Nobody is going to stalk you! Better yet, no location in your avatar, yet you post stuff for local pick-up.......where exactly is , located?

Cheers,
    Dr. T

16. outskirtscustoms

outskirtscustoms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
    I agree, At least put a state. Or better yet what part of the state. Central, northern, southern, eastern, or western then the state. It'd be really difficult to track you down but would give someone an idea if you are fairly local.

17. KJV

KJV

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

yeah,what he said.

18. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker MUSCLE BIKE BUILD-OFF! Moderator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Agreed, first thing I did was an intro, and my location is precise enough for anyone close to me without actually saying what village/town/city I am in. If someone wants to meet up for a ride they know what region I am in and can pm me, but I wont have people I don't know turning up at my door... :shock:

Luke.

19. naturephotoboy3

naturephotoboy3

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I guess Im not clear on WHY it matters that we go into detail about who we are if you dont want to. I can see if you are trying to sell items and no one kows who you are..chances are that is your fault if the parts dont sell. BUT..once you get going on here and people DO know your location....whats that do for you??? If you look at the postings through out the site..there are some people that get a lot of responses and some that get NONE. And the ones who get a lot of responses get them from the same group of individuals..kinda like a school yard clique. It's just the way it is. There are thousands of people signed up here..but only a few that really stay active. So you can post everything about yourself from head to toe..and I bet if you post something and you are not in the group you will get a few peeple looking at your post..but very few responses. Just a fact of life and it dont make it bad..just is what it is.

If you want a lot of responses..put something in the craigslist idiots section...that seems to be the favorite of everyone. Question I have about those posting is this...when we post things here or repsond to others posting..we are not allowd to be critical of price or discuss weather it meets certain RAT ROD criteria right?? so I wonder how many of our fellow RAT ROD members have been called out and posted on the IDIOTS section?? I mean after all....it seems there are more then just idiots on craigslist as far as prices go. But ive wondered why it is ok to do that to people on the idiots sections when we might be the ones getting posted on. I guess moral is..be careful.

20. jats

jats

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

thank you for this thread i just checked to see if I had done an intro and I had not. LOL got one in now though

jats