Made in the Shade

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or how about this look?
DSCN0733.JPG

I'd go with some vintage black walls if you have any, like these ones on my 39 Elgin.
IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

I'd go with some vintage black walls if you have any, like these ones on my 39 Elgin.
View attachment 95069
View attachment 95070
How about the vintage black walls that were on it? The old black Goodyear all weather nylon tires and the correct wheels are back on the bike. I was just bored waiting for other parts to arrive. It looked good with the clay tires but it certainly rode the best with the fat franks.

With the clay/red tires, the chainguard does look out of place!
That's a very interesting observation. I prefer all my bikes have a chainguard. Too much artistic value is lost without one. Since I rarely do fenders, racks, lights, horns, baskets, mirrors, etc., I like having the tank and the chainguard on all of my builds.

Tim, I know I sound like a broken record, but this is RAT ROD BIKES. Not the CABE. :21:

The Fat Franks wouldn't have been found on that type of frame, but you'll use them. But you won't use a cool old front headlight, like a tractor light with a rusty patina, because that wouldn't have been found on that bike? o_O Or try a 'rust-ina process? :confused:

If it feels right, do it. No holds barred. :thumbsup:
I am going to put my California chopper forks on it next. You could get those on a '40 Huffman, couldn't you???

Tim, I know I sound like a broken record, but this is RAT ROD BIKES. Not the CABE. :21:

The Fat Franks wouldn't have been found on that type of frame, but you'll use them. But you won't use a cool old front headlight, like a tractor light with a rusty patina, because that wouldn't have been found on that bike? o_O Or try a 'rust-ina process? :confused:

If it feels right, do it. No holds barred. :thumbsup:
Even if it doesn't feel right.......................DO IT!!! I called this one the "Wing-Ray Chopper". So, so very wrong! Does this one get an Oddjob Award???
DSCN0657.JPG
DSCN0659.JPG
DSCN0658.JPG

Last edited:
It's cool. Probably a little too 'shiny' for an OJ award. But the old aluminum(?) with white has a classy old look to it! I'll bet that fork has some 'boing' with those long extensions.
Oh yes, it did flex. But in a good way.........felt like a springer........and that front wheel never twisted. Rode beautifully. Even turned pretty well. And that aluminum had never been polished. It had that perfect subtle aluminum-tarnish patina. It just looks shiny in the pictures.

Oh yes, it did flex. But in a good way.........felt like a springer........and that front wheel never twisted. Rode beautifully. Even turned pretty well. And that aluminum had never been polished. It had that perfect subtle aluminum-tarnish patina. It just looks shiny in the pictures.
I didn't really mean 'shiny' I guess; just lack of real or surreal rust!
:grin:

I didn't really mean 'shiny' I guess; just lack of real or surreal rust!
:grin:
I agree about the rust thing. Clean aluminum frames really can't be rat rods. But they make great customs. Even though my build-off bike last year was super crusty aluminum, I am much more excited about this rusty Huffman. But there is a deep dark secret about this years bike that I have not yet revealed. I will probably wait until it is finished before it is revealed. I am really surprised that someone hasn't figured it out yet.

Here's a real outside-the-box moment. Almost didn't want to show this one. But it just might be weird and/or cool enough to keep. I noticed that this old dirty piece of rope that I had..................kind of looked like the strut rods...................and this is the result. Cool or just crazy???
DSCN0740.JPG
DSCN0739.JPG
DSCN0741.JPG
DSCN0742.JPG
DSCN0743.JPG
DSCN0744.JPG

Latest posts

Back