New Hobby (New Addition)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok after calling on some muscles that I haven't used in a few years....lots of pushing pulling
and a little struggling......My new 265 pound mill has finally made its way to the bench. Now comes
the fun part of getting all the shipping grease off. Then run in the bearings and I should be ready
to make a few chips.

DSCF0005_zps9eeb0fcc.jpg

Took my mill all apart. You have to clean the traveling grease off and check everything for right.
I don't have much tooling yet. Figured I would wait and see what I need before jumping out and
buying stuff I will never use. I got a collet from a friend and bought a couple end mills at the flea
market by my house. Anyway I bolted a piece of angle iron down to my table and cut a little on it.
Houston we have chips.
Now probably everybody is wondering why I'm posting about machines in a bike web site. Hey a little
variety never hurts.

DSCF0003_zps341151b7.jpg

I need to buy a rotary table, and find someplace that sells 1'' thick aluminum and see
if I can do a triple tree. Should be a fun project. That is kinda why I bought all this. I
watched the guy from Israel do all kinds of stuff with one. Maybe I can learn too. :roll:

I had one of those cheap vice deals for my drill press. I have to buy a good one, but I bolted
this one to my mill and it did a good job holding a piece of 1 1/2'' square tubing to mill a slot 1/8''
deep. it was the same depth all the way so not too shabby.
These machines are a bunch of fun. I wish I had gotten them sooner. Well worth the price. :wink:
DSCF0002_zpsa236a764.jpg

Looks like lots of fun! The griz 0704 is a very popular mill, projectsinmetal website has some good information for it. Looking forward to what you do with yours:)

For rotary tables Yuasa makes an affordable version that is recommended often on the hobby forms. I purchased a griz 6" model about a year ago that works well enough for my needs... Ymmv

Rich

that is so cool. I had a small lathe like that but it was old and didn't work right(or I didn't know how to set it up. I sold it like a dummy :lol:
been keepin my eyes peeled for a bigger one for awhile now

Uncle Stretch said:
I don't have much tooling yet. Figured I would wait and see what I need before jumping out and
buying stuff I will never use.
DSCF0003_zps341151b7.jpg

Yeah, don't buy until you need it. Make sure you look on Ebay, that is where my dad has got most of his stuff.

I would be interested also in seeing what you are up to with all this machinist equipment you have now :mrgreen:
Wanna share some info? I hang out at hobby machinist, they are a pretty good site for all levels of machinists, much like here is with old and new bikes. It would be really cool if there were a forum here for the new budding machinist to learn things specific to building bikes, you would be the right guy to startmthat one :eek:

Rich

RichL said:
... It would be really cool if there were a forum here for the new budding machinist to learn things specific to building bikes ... :eek:
Rich

Not a forum, but here's a related thread that fascinated me about a year ago. Thought I'd share it with you in case you didn't see it then.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=33197

Any new pics, projects?
Bump

Unfortunately old Uncle Stretch has moved on to a new hobby these days...making custom vaping pipes.

He's not posting anymore and it appears that his bike building days are over...for a while anyway.

Latest posts

Back