New from St. Louis area

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been lurking on here and another classic bike site for awhile, and I joined to post up and learn about my newest hobby.

I have been holding on to my 1949 Schwinn, BFGoodrich bike (unknown to me model) for about a decade waiting for the right time for a father and son project. The bike was actually my father's who only recalls him purchasing used when he was about 12 years old and repainting it when he was a little older. We nearly forgot it existed until I was cleaning out my mother's house of 40 years after she decided to move away and took one more peek in the garage attic. Its been in my garage or shed ever since.

Earlier this week I pulled it out of the attic, and aired up the tires and took a quick spin. It needs some work. After that we completely tore it down sans the kickstand.

My plans will be a very mild build compared those here. I just want to build (simple) style rat rod bike that lets me have some good memories of the past while riding it.

I am hoping to put up some pics soon.

Last edited:
Upon closer look the rims are beat up pretty bad. I am not sure what do with them. I was thinking about purchasing some new rim but I have never removed a rear gear off a wheel before and not sure the gear would attach to a new rim either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You can buy a skiptooth cog to go on a modern Shimano/Nexus wheel set if you choose to keep the crankset/ chain you have.
Ichi Bike has them. And sometimes for sale on here too.

I have a 1949 bike too, and its Bendix coaster brake was the screw-on type of the pre-1960s Red-Band era; Edwin Elliott Hood's patent # 2,410,785. It sounds like you wish to attach a skip-tooth cog/sprocket to a new or replacement wheel which would include a hub, spokes and a rim. That is the method that I am also taking on some 28" bikes. My 9T and 11T are in-the-mail from Mr. Ichi of Iowa. Also, painted rims can be restored.

I have a 1949 bike too, and its Bendix coaster brake was the screw-on type of the pre-1960s Red-Band era; Edwin Elliott Hood's patent # 2,410,785. It sounds like you wish to attach a skip-tooth cog/sprocket to a new or replacement wheel which would include a hub, spokes and a rim. That is the method that I am also taking on some 28" bikes. My 9T and 11T are in-the-mail from Mr. Ichi of Iowa. Also, painted rims can be restored.
I was just getting ready to call ichi to get some prices compared to local shop rebuilding my hub and respoking the wheel. The sent doesn't appear to be as bad as I originally thought.

Well that was my though to get some prices but it's Monday and they are closed. Will try again tomorrow.

A good lesson for a kid might be how to make do with the old, because new stuff costs money. Also, things wear and break, so its a good lesson to learn at an early age to maintain and fix things, without breaking them.

Awesome ride ! I'm south of you in Springfield and recently joined Ratrod bikes as well the guys and gals here are top notch and super knowledgeable... I was just going to give my cheap opinion for your ride
..buy a donor bike at local goodwill or yard sale and transfer the parts you need to get rolling. And of course save all the originals and do the maintenance as you swap then you have the look with more modern function as long as your not a super purist!.... welcome my friend...best luck

Here's a 1940s j.c. Higgins (we think!) Hah... with 70s western flyer parts and fresh treads... rides like a freakin cloud.
20170613_173758.jpg
20170613_173758.jpg

Attachments

• 20170613_171900.jpg
    20170613_171900.jpg
    670 KB · Views: 197

Latest posts

Back