New Departure Model D Rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used wheel bearing grease on the bearings and some atf fluid on the disc. They were brand new didnt figure I needed to buff em. Should I take it apart and buff them? The first tine I assembled it it felt to tight for ne so I backed them off so it spun free and no slop ?

I tried ATF once, but discovered that the plates tended to slip or stick, not much in between. Some auto tech guy on here explained why, but I don't remember. Anyway, honing the discs as mentioned a comment or two ago definitely helps in many cases, and the discs should be oiled, motor oil works fine.

Great thread right at my finger tips when I needed it. Thanks all members for thorough postings.
I changed a skip tooth cog from a '40s Hawthorne 26"' wheel set to a 1/2"cog from 24" Shelby because I wanted to use a larger crank sprocket than the girl's skip tooth chain lenghth would allow on a men's WFlyer frame.
The information was extremely useful and timely and I now have a freshly rebuilt 26"coaster brake wheel with the help of this shared info and found out that the rebuild was not brain surgery.
The front hub from the Hawthorne is a black out unit and I'm glad to be able to use it too as I liked the patina from this wheel set and it is much better suited to this bike than the 3 speed aluminum set I was running previously.
Unfortunately some of the inards of the 24" are not in the greatest of shape, so a rebuild of that hub will not be completed right now.

Oh boy I sure could have used this info about 30 minutes ago...lol

I got it all together but stacked the spacers incorrectly so I have no brakes.

I am assuming that I only grease the bearings??

This is what I am working on..

Thanks, just did a full repack and lube. Would have been tense about the disk stack without this thread. I haven't ridden it yet but it will be better, I'm sure,
Scott

I had lots of issues with mine. Glad this thread was here.
Bent axle, worn discs, and a jacked brake arm.
I never opened one of these up before...
READ IT ALL BEFORE YOU PROCEED TO MESS YOURS UP.
Some of the stuff in this thread were mistakes people made because they didn't read it all. lol. I had no problems with any of it, but I read it all before I took mine apart. I'm still waiting for parts but I see no problem with the rebuild.
Thanks for the thread!

Carl.

I still have a few questions. #1 can you install all the guts either way? #2 I have noticed that my hub is concaved where the disks ride. It's hard to tell but with a straight edge it looks to be about 1/16" to the lowest spot. Is that normal or does my hub have excess wear?
uqy8e9yp.jpg
#3 my disk stack only has one bronze disk and I believe that it was toward the break lever but I'm not 100%. I read about
gepasavy.jpg
ehajuheh.jpg

With regards to the brake disks, you do not have a complete set. The number of tabs depends if your New Departure is a Model C or D and the year it was manufactured. Model C And D are interchangeable. You can get a set on EBay for $15. I picked one up at a local bike shop for $8. It made all the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an old post but unfortunately for me I found it after I took my recently acquired model D apart and "serviced" it (wrong). Assembly seemed correct but - I HEAVILY greased the bearing and disc's. Guess I'll be taking it back apart next weekend

ND – Model D – No drive

Hi all, my first post here, I’ve been watching the site for a while but this issue has made me join up! Cool!

I’ve just rebuilt a model D hub and followed these (excellent) instructions. However….. I’ve put the hub back together and there is “no drive” as in when I pedal forward, the pedals (and rear sprocket) spin, but, I. Do. Not. Move.

Now it rolls brilliantly! And the coaster brake works perfectly (I’ve been rolling the bike around), but I cannot move when I pedal….. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?

I should note that this hub was new to me – as in I have never ridden it, is there a chance that something was wrong with it even before I started? I should also note that all the parts appear to be there (looking at the pictures in this thread).

Is it possible to have too many disks? I read (in this thread) that the stack should be about 19mm high – I think mine is closer to 21-22mm high – could this be the problem?

Sorry for the rant! It’s driving me CRAZY!!! Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ND – Model D – No drive

Hi all, my first post here, I’ve been watching the site for a while but this issue has made me join up! Cool!

I’ve just rebuilt a model D hub and followed these (excellent) instructions. However….. I’ve put the hub back together and there is “no drive” as in when I pedal forward, the pedals (and rear sprocket) spin, but, I. Do. Not. Move.

Now it rolls brilliantly! And the coaster brake works perfectly (I’ve been rolling the bike around), but I cannot move when I pedal….. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?

I should note that this hub was new to me – as in I have never ridden it, is there a chance that something was wrong with it even before I started? I should also note that all the parts appear to be there (looking at the pictures in this thread).

Is it possible to have too many disks? I read (in this thread) that the stack should be about 19mm high – I think mine is closer to 21-22mm high – could this be the problem?

Sorry for the rant! It’s driving me CRAZY!!! Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
The discs provide the "brakes" so I suppose they could somehow prevent the splined cone from driving the hub, maybe remove a disc and reassemble?

I found this thread about 20 minutes ago myself, used the info to rebuild the model d on my build off bike.
About to reinstall the wheel, I hope it all works.

I found this thread about 20 minutes ago myself, used the info to rebuild the model d on my build off bike.
About to reinstall the wheel, I hope it all works.
Well, it made a lot of metal grind noise. Guess I'll try again.

When I got my '56 Hawthorne with a ND hub, pedals drove the bike fine - the problem was brakes - 1 to 3 turns backwards before any braking action. found out it was the transfer spring broken. Got a replacement from ebay, cleaned everything, greased the bearings and oiled the plates with Lucas oil additive (very thick oil). Pedals kind of dragged a little when coasting till the oil and grease distributed themselves - then it was good. Maybe an internal part is missing in yours?

It's pedaling fine now, but no brakes. I hope I can figure it out before I leave next week.

Latest posts

Back