Never too late...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot of progress as I´ve been busy with other things than bikebuilding, but I at least had time to cover the frame with some high build primer today:

2765-vi.jpg

2764-vi.jpg

Now the big question is the top coat... matte, satin, or high gloss black? Classic painted hot rod flames or pinstriped flames or maybe just pinstriping or skulls, cards, dices and spiderwebs or... we'll see.

Håkan

And it became high gloss black, actually this is the second try with a top coat as the first try with semi gloss black didn´t turn out very well and had to be sanded down:

2783-vi.jpg

Still, the questions are scallops, flames, pinstriping, or... we´ll see.

Håkan

Boy this is very nice with the hidden cables and the countersunk shifter..Awesome!.... I just went to page 2 Wow!

Many thanks! Your comments are really appreciated and motivating!

Funny thing is that this high gloss black paint I used is a much cheaper product than the semi gloss I also tried. Not very often that you get better results with cheaper products. Made a test panel last night with acrylic water based artist paint in my airbrush and had acceptable results:

2787-vi.jpg

The blue pinstriping is enamel and don´t mind the bad surface black background paint on the test panel, that´s just indoor wall paint brushed on. The acrylic paint obviously turns matte when dried, but can be covered with high gloss clear. I think these kind of flames would look good on the frame.

Håkan

Very nice job its looking great....I think flames looks good on just about anything!! :mrgreen:

FatBoy said:
Very nice job its looking great....I think flames looks good on just about anything!! :mrgreen:

Thanks! And you are right, here´s my flame job progress so far:

2797-vi.jpg

2799-vi.jpg

2803-vi.jpg

Next step is to paint the other side and then it´s time to put some clearcoat on.

Håkan

The other side of the frame flame job finished:

2805-vi.jpg

Just have to let the pinstriping enamel harden completely now and then it´s time for the clearcoat.

Håkan

Thats a perfect fit...Looks good! :D

Many thanks FatBoy, DHrider and Rusty 62!

Clearcoated the frame last night and have now started the final assembly:

2807-vi.jpg

2808-vi.jpg

2809-vi.jpg

2820-vi.jpg

Had some issues with the paint on the rear fender and it looks like a raisin right now, but I´ll probably use the sandblaster and start all over on it tonight or tomorrow. Also have left to polish the seatpost that´s painted now, the brake handle and the parts that makes up the shifter, but as I have all the stuff needed to do that here at home it´s just a matter of time.

Again thanks for all the nice comments on my build!

Håkan

WOW. You've made a lot of progress since I last saw this and it was in primer! Looks
REALLY nice, love the flames! Also, I was skeptical about how the high gloss black would look on the frame, but it turned out looking fantastic! GREAT build. :)

A big THANKS anticonformity! All the nice comments and feedback this project has received has kept me highly motivated during the build.

Tried to sandblast the raisin paint off the rear fender, but as it was very soft and thick I actually finally took a knife and carved it off! To then be on the safe side I used water based acrylic artist paint on the fender thinking that I should add flames, pinstriping and urethane clear on it. But when I tested the fender on with just the matte black on I thought it looked as good as it could look and decided to leave it as is.

Me and my son have now both test ridden the bike and are very happy with the results. Here´s the latest pics of the now finished bike, gonna take some better pics later in better light:

2835-vi.jpg

2836-vi.jpg

2837-vi.jpg

2840-vi.jpg

2842-vi.jpg

2844-vi.jpg

2846-vi.jpg

2851-vi.jpg

2856-vi.jpg

2860-vi.jpg

2863-vi.jpg

2865-vi.jpg

2867-vi.jpg

2869-vi.jpg

2871-vi.jpg

Here´s a short project summary:

Frame has been built from parts from two MTB frames and a piece of ovalized exhaust tubing. The rims are Alex, DX32 26" and they are 39.1mm wide. The hubs are from one of the two donor MTBs I used. Tires are Maxxis HookWorms 26x2.5. The front fork is something I made myself having the aluminum parts cut by a local company, Mälarlaser from my CAD drawings with waterjet and I then machined and polished them myself, the fork legs are polished stainless steel. Other fork parts from donor MTBs.

The handlebar stem comes from one of the donor MTBs. The handlebar is a combination of two handlebars welded together trying to create a typical cruiser handlebar. Grips are PRO Tharsis, not sure where the brake lever came from, but I had it lying around, took the black paint off and polished it. The saddle is an Electra Comfort Saddle. Rear dérailleur is Shimano controlled by a homemade suicide shifter.

The rear fender is made from two 28" fenders welded together to get a fender wide enough to cover the rear tire. The radius of the fender was also slightly altered to fit the 26" tire.

The pedals are Union 265 Rubber Diamond Block Pedals and the crank is a cleaned up and modified crank from one of the donor MTBs. The skull headlight actually started its life as something supposed to be used as a money box to collect coins in, but I thought it would be better to spend the coins on bicycle parts and put the skull on the bike after I added a battery pack, LEDs and a small switch.

Besides the stuff I already had I have bought the following for this project and from these vendors:

Cyclecomponents (http://www.cyclecomponents.com/), front tire, front tube and grips.
Ride with Style (http://www.ridewithstyle.se/hem.html), saddle.
Ebay (http://myworld.ebay.com/sz-2009/), disc brake.
St John Street Cycles (http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/), pedals.
Local purchases, LEDs, battery pack, switch for the headlight and paint.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the nice comment I have received here during this build!

Håkan

amazing .... i had no idea that frame was a scratch built frame... beautiful work for sure....

btw... what did you use for the red bolt cap on the shifter?

DHrider said:
amazing .... i had no idea that frame was a scratch built frame... beautiful work for sure....

btw... what did you use for the red bolt cap on the shifter?

Thanks, the red bolt cap started out as a cabinet or drawer knob that I cut off and attached with double sided tape.

Håkan

Latest posts

Back