Never too late...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

New old guy from Sweden here. Was playing a lot with bicycle builds when I was a kid and picked it up again a couple of years ago as it´s never too late to have a happy childhood I think.

Built a chopper in 2007, but never really liked the way it came out though:

01-vi.jpg

Have had the chopper hanging on the wall in the carport for some while now. Also started and never finished another build, most of the parts from that build ended up on a MTB that I also never really liked to ride on.

Lately I decided to cut up the MTB and to start a build using parts from it together with some parts from the chopper, here´s some progress pics:

2506-vi.jpg

2503-vi.jpg

2505-vi.jpg

2512-vi.jpg

2514-vi.jpg

2516-vi.jpg

2518-vi.jpg

2518-vi.jpg

2519-vi.jpg

2520-vi.jpg

2521-vi.jpg

2522-vi.jpg

2523-vi.jpg

Only part missing right now is the saddle, I´ve ordered a Electra "COMFORT XL SADDLE" that hopefully will arrive soon. Been thinking about flat black paint and maybe some pinstriped flames. I made the shifter myself and there´s a Shimano 7 speed twist shifter inside the alu parts I made there.

if you don't like this one when you're done you can send it to me!!! very nice!!!

dude, i'll say that first bike, the chopper, is in the ranks of a Burrito. ride it. wow.

Outlaw :eek:

Thanks all,

The only parts I robbed from the chopper for this new build was the rear rim and the shifter cable. Been thinking I should shorten the rear part of the chopper frame, straighten up the lines a bit and use a really wide 24" wheels on it, we´ll see...

Also have an old 28" Swedish made frame from the fourties/fifties out in the carport that looks like a good candidate for a boardtracker style project. Have to finish this "Never too late..." project first though.

The possible boardtracker project as found on the side of the road in a local industrial area here in town:

2448-vi.jpg

Håkan

HotRodHocke said:
Have to finish this "Never too late..." project first though.

Håkan
If you're like me, it's ok to have three or four projects going at the same time. BTW I dig that suicide shifter 8)

Not a lot of progress, but the saddle showed up today and after I moved the part of the frame where it attaches I thought it was time to take some pics again:

2671-vi.jpg

2674-vi.jpg

2675-vi.jpg

2677-vi.jpg

2678-vi.jpg

Håkan

Thanks again all, your comments keeps me motivated!

Here´s the latest update.

Finished welding the frame, rear fender and handlebar and also sand blasted the frame:

2681-vi.jpg

Routed the handbrake cable inside the frame:

2695-vi.jpg

2697-vi.jpg

Here´s the parts I made for the shifter and the stripped Shimano 7 speed twist shifter that´s hidden inside the whole thing. Gonna make some kind of cover later on to hide the bolt head:

2684-vi.jpg

2694-vi.jpg

It was a little tricky to weld the very thin material in the two parts of the fenders I put together, but with the MIG welder on the lowest setting it came out pretty decent. The reason I made that extra cut in the fender was to adjust the radius of it as it was a 28" fender to begin with:

2698-vi.jpg

2701-vi.jpg

Håkan

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments!

Was thinking today that I should put the whole thing together and take it for a test ride before starting with the paint and detailing:

2706-vi.jpg

but as soon as I had the chain on which was the last thing, it started to rain :( better luck later or tomorrow, we´ll see. So far it at least feels very comfortable to sit on. Also ordered these pedals from http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/union-265-rubber-diamond-block-pedals-black-prod5295/ as I think they fit into the style I am going for:

Pedal-vi.jpg

Håkan

Thanks again!

Here´s a link to a very low quality video of last night's test ride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHm-0HhV_P4 it's my 17 year old son riding the bike and he also thought it was very comfortable once he figured out how to handle the rake.

Now paint is in progress and here's the frame and handlebar covered in the first layer of rust protection:

2713-vi.jpg

2714-vi.jpg

2709-vi.jpg

Håkan

Thanks!

Here´s the latest progress.

Thought I should do something about the ugly looking front sprocket I had and as I´ve seen the ones looking like diamond plate I thought I could make something similar. I had a number of cranks and sprockets lying around and after some planning, grinding, welding and some more grinding I came up with this:

2718-vi.jpg

2721-vi.jpg

2725-vi.jpg

"Real" old school type of rivets to be used as I don´t like pop rivets and bolt and nuts would also have looked wrong used here I think:

2727-vi.jpg

2729-vi.jpg

2730-vi.jpg

My pedals showed up today and I obviously had to put the whole crank together to check it out:

2733-vi.jpg

2734-vi.jpg

Finally, here´s the frame paint job status so far:

2736-vi.jpg

2738-vi.jpg

Håkan

Thanks!

Found some really cheap disc brakes on Ebay at $32 for two discs and two calipers including shipping from China to Sweden! Wasn´t expecting much really, but was quite surprised when they showed up just a week after I ordered them and they looked really nice!

Now the next problem was of course that I already painted the rim, laced the rear wheel and put the tire on using a non disc brake hub... but after some measuring and a deep dive in my aluminum scrap pieces box I made this adapter to attach the disc to the rear hub:

2746-vi.jpg

2747-vi.jpg

2749-vi.jpg

2752-vi.jpg

2756-vi.jpg

Also made some progress on the frame and it´s now filled, sanded and covered with a second layer of rust protection:

2759-vi.jpg

2760-vi.jpg

Håkan

Latest posts

Back