Neo-Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just love this DelMar. I can't believe something this cheap can be this much fun.
It's like those "customizable" car models from my childhood: "Build It 8 Different Ways!"
I'd already done 5 completely different "builds" (customizes?) on this thing when this idea came to me the other day...what if nobody had thought of klunkers until now? How would they look? How would they be different from what they used back in the '70s?
This is what I came up with:

002-5.jpg

007-11.jpg

Removed the fenders, rack and chainguard, added Red Weinmann wheels w/ 3-speed Nexus, realized I had some "matching" 2.1 Panaracer XC Fire-Pro tires I had laying around, black Brooks saddle, and a riser bar. I tried a set of rat-trap pedals, but the spindle holes on this crank are VERY small and they didn't fit, so I may have to do some shopping, and I'd still like to put a BMX-style clamp stem and cross-bar handlebar on it, too.
I think it looks kind of cool, and it's a super-easy, fun rider. It's become my new Go-Anywhere, Do-Anything Bike! :mrgreen:

Thanks, I'm diggin' it, too.
You really think it needs a chainguard? I thought "stripped down" was more appropriate. Chime in, please! 8)

Here's a little closer shot of the tire, too:
006-13.jpg

Had those tires on a Schwinn Moab for several years. Good tire!
(When the red band on the sidewall gets oxidized and fades after a while simply wiping them down with car detailer brings back the vibrance.)

Latest posts

Back