Need SCRAM Parts 3 speed hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't find axle nuts anywhere for my 3 speed SCRAM internally geared hub. The Scram PDF catalog has them but you have to contact a dealer to get them. None I can find on eBay or SCRAM internet dealers. Other brands are available, but not SCRAM. The nearest SCRAM dealer is a 12 hour round trip. Any ideas. Poor customer relations like a lot of them including what Trek has become. Basically no customer relations as there is no customer contact info on their web page. Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I had a problem with my SRAM Automatix, a shop stripped one of the axle nuts, and the size was slightly different from anything else. I researched and found the size to be 10 x 1, (10mm I believe). Only at one hardware store did I find that size nut. That might be the size that yours has, but it might be 10.5 x 1 from what I've read about the 3 speeds. When I went to the hardware store I couldn't find them, the shopkeeper had them in a special metal drawer. They didn't have this type, just the normal ones.
511bbaeeee5e05546473ec4f71b160e72.jpg

I would take the old ones, or even the whole wheel to the store and make sure I had the right ones.
Here's an Ebay listing, ended but shows the size:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Axle-n...ycle-10-5x1-/122252335076?hash=item1c76ce97e4

I don't know SRAM, but SA has proprietary/very unusual threads for their axles so I imagine they do the same so they can charge you $10 for a $.25 part you can only get through them.

I imagine the dealer doesn't want to ship you the part, but what if you offered to pay a reasonable amount over for "aggravation"?

Yeah it's a 10.5, according to SCRAM PDF parts list. The hardware store doesn't have em, they have 10. I have made my own nuts for other brands before. Drilled out a nut and tapped it but I don't have the tap and I can't find 10.5 taps on the net anyway. None of my metric thread gauges fit, you can see light around the threads on the best fit so that is also weird or at least different than my thread gauges. On eBay a site in the UK has them, says they are rare and they want 7 pounds for each one. I dug through my three speed hubs and old Sachs nuts don't fit but I found another SCRAM 3 speed hub and it doesn't have the axle nuts either but it has jam nuts. I'm going to thread on the jam nuts and weld them together, make my own. I notice that all the SCRAM 3 speed hubs on eBay are missing the axle nuts. My advice is don't get these hubs, the guts that thread on will also be irreplaceable. Mine is pretty rare as it is a drum brake 3 speed and I would like to lace it up but I gotta solve the nut problem first.

Last edited:
I've read where a SA 13/32 x 26tpi can be a usable substitute, but I've never tried it. It's said to be just a tiny bit smaller, by .18mm or .007 inches and will thread on the axle with your fingers but feel tight. It's 10.32 mm instead
of 10.5 mm.

None of my metric thread gauges fit, you can see light around the threads on the best fit so that is also weird or at least different than my thread gauges.
I find this a little concerning. Have you tried 24 or 26tpi thread gauge? There shouldn't be any light. 1mm thread pitch is 25.4tpi.

Jason

I find this a little concerning. Have you tried 24 or 26tpi thread gauge? There shouldn't be any light. 1mm thread pitch is 25.4tpi.

Jason
I wonder if the threads were too dirty to get a good fit. I sorta cleaned them, but I could see light and my red shirt when I used it for a background. I'll try again next week when I get back from hunting.

Last edited:
I've read where a SA 13/32 x 26tpi can be a usable substitute, but I've never tried it. It's said to be just a tiny bit smaller, by .18mm or .007 inches and will thread on the axle with your fingers but feel tight. It's 10.32 mm instead
of 10.5 mm.
these nuts are $5.00 each, a little expensive just to see if it fits, I'll have to think in this.

Last edited:
Hey U56456712-man. I just read your post. You cannot(should not) use any size but the special 10.5 mm size, they are especially made for the SRAM dreigang hub axles. (not scram fyi)
PM me your address and I will send you both sides buddy, including the odd sized anti-rotation washers for this axle. I have some NOS hardware for these hubs...skpc..
IMG_0922.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure really what this came off of WC...I have a few that I haven't seen on bikes before. This one is a hot pan holder:nod:.
Here is a better shot...anyone know?
IMG_0940.JPG
And a couple others someone have an answer for?
IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0938.JPG

Yes. I've just discovered #1 was on mostly Hawthorne's and Zep's. 3rd is Dayton Huffman....2nd is 1936 only Cleveland Welding/Roadmasters….. U-man....you need to PM me on the sachs axle nuts..going....going......

Latest posts

Back