Need HELP to ID This "Mystery" AMF!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this "spacey" middleweight at the local monthly bike swap and just had to have it. I've been doing research on it ever since but there are so many unanswered questions as to what exactly it is. The "star" chain ring and the way the seat post clamps into the frame (like a gooseneck) seems to pinpoint this to possibly be a '58 to '60 AMF Roadmaster. The chain guard I've seen on CWC Hiawathas as well as other models of the Roadmasters. It's the tank that throws me as I have not seen anything like it in my search for answers. The frame appears to have had a tank on it from day one as there is no evidence of a head badge ever being attached and there are no holes for the head badge screws. My Google search for a "Strato-Chief" turns up nothing directly, but has gained me some answers to other details of the bike. Was this "Strato-Chief" a rare AMF variation, maybe a special order? Or is this just a bunch of parts thrown together to create this odd beast? :cry: I will need the power and knowledge of the "Rat Rod Bike Nation" to help solve this ID mystery. Please feel free to ask questions; I'm super stoked to find out any details you guys can offer! Thanks in advance!

Bringing her home!

The "Mystery" tank!

Front lens view (there is a on/off switch on top of the tank cover.)

Serial number located under the crank tube.

Not sure this info will help, but it has a Perry (non-2 star) rear coaster hub.

OK, Call me crazy, but it looks like a home dressed Murray, possibly Western Auto Flyer. The tank appears to be well done, possibly started life as a girls flyer tank, mated with a flightliner tank. Just a Thought.

I have absolutely no info to add, but I do have exactly the same tank without the front bezel and lens, picked at a pawn shop.

Your bike is a legitimate AMF product and has a 1959 serial number. It is a late 1959 model. AMF introduced their version of a cantilever frame in 1958 and introduced their first “Atomic” style tanks like this one in 1959, after the printing of the early 1959 catalogs. I can’t find a reference to this specific model and paint pattern in my literature and the only thing I question regarding the originality of this bike is the white paint on the top of the tank and on the front fork. In real life you can probably tell if it is orig. to the bike or not but I can’t be certain from a photograph.

rms37 said:
Your bike is a legitimate AMF product and has a 1959 serial number. It is a late 1959 model. AMF introduced their version of a cantilever frame in 1958 and introduced their first “Atomic” style tanks like this one in 1959, after the printing of the early 1959 catalogs. I can’t find a reference to this specific model and paint pattern in my literature and the only thing I question regarding the originality of this bike is the white paint on the top of the tank and on the front fork. In real life you can probably tell if it is orig. to the bike or not but I can’t be certain from a photograph.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed answers so far. It's great to find out that my bike is a real-deal AMF model. You are correct that the top of the tank and the front forks have been repainted. Actually, the front fork is wrong for the frame as the neck is about an inch too short, which is why the top locking nut is not present in the earlier pics. I have already picked up a correct used fork as a replacement and will install that soon. In the meantime, I removed the chrome fork top plate and installed a nut from my spare parts bin as a temporary fix. I pulled the top of the tank cover off tonight and took a pic of the underside to post; it appears to have the original paint underneath. Looks to be a slightly off-white. I assume the fork would have been painted the same color as the frame and have some sort of "AMF" applique on it. Here are the tank pics:

Under side of tank lid. Has 4 mounting holes and on/off switch.

Inside of tank; battery compartment and lighting components are pretty roached.

I am very impressed that you were able to decipher the serial numbers. I have read that the numbers on AMFs don't really tell the year of manufacture. Please feel free to share any additional info you might have on my bike or late 50s AMFs in general! 8)

Great stuff guys!!

I have a DVD of teaching films that they used to show to children in the 1950’s and 60’s. There is one called ‘Exchanging Greetings and Introductions’ 1960 by Young America Films, which shows a boy riding this exact model bike to a gas station to put air in the tires. The DVD is called ‘Atomic Age Classics’ Vol 1. More info at www.oldies.com . The bike looks identical to the one you have posted here.

Latest posts

Back